Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new owner and member

maddog ยท 2009-04-22 16:19

I'd like to say hi all :drinkup ! Looks like a lot of info here. I just purchased a jcb 8015 mini ex {2004}and wonder if anyone knows ANYTHING about these machines. I have built and installed a hydraulic thumb but am confused as to how my aux. hydraulics hook up :Banghead ? I can get clamp pressure but have to manually move it back to the upright position. I have built and used mechanical thumbs but am a litttle lost when it comes to hydraulics. Is there any inexpensive way to get the thumb to work? Thanks for any info

Replies51
  1. #1d4c24a2009-04-22 16:50

    hi maddog ,is your aux set to to run a breaker ,if so you will only have oil flow one way ,i cannot remember if it is on the jcb or kubota ,but there was a tap under the floor pan to change it to dual action for thumbs ,grabs,etc and the other way for single flow breakers etc hope this helps cheers graham

  2. #2maddog2009-04-22 17:33

    Thank you I will have to check it out. If it is only the one way flow is there an easy{low cost} way to make it work?

  3. #3JCBgm2009-04-22 18:20

    maddog, PM me your serial number and I'll tell you if it has dual acting hydraulics. Most all JCB minis do (except the micro and older machines). We don't do much with the 8015, but I do know the 8027 and larger machines have a valve located in the back of the machine near the hydraulic tank and main valve body.

  4. #4maddog2009-04-23 09:01

    JCBgm; I believe I found the # your wanting SLP080154E1021277. I'm also having trouble finding the hydraulic filter, it calls for a 57700 wix but that is not even close to what is on it. It has a jcb 32/920002 screw on filter, I would like to cross over to a napa or wix.

  5. #5strott2009-04-24 14:45

    As discussed earlier, the machine may not have double acting auxilary hydraullics (they are not standard spec on 1.5 ton JCB minis in the uk) or the changeover valve is not set correctly, the changeover valve may be located under the floor or the under the drivers seat on the 8015.

  6. #6equipmentguy2009-04-27 08:42

    Some machines have a 1 way valve for hammers you may have to switch it to two way. Look for a lever on the valve or a switch some where

  7. #7maddog2009-04-28 10:16

    Thanks all for the answers. I wish I got a manual with it. Looked up some on ebay but can't really see spending 150.00 + for a book??????????

  8. #8AirBornOne2009-05-02 16:57

    Hello madog In case it helps, on the 016 (also a 1.5 T machine),the aux. circuit is adj. by using stop bolts/nuts that are under the control pedal. For 2-way control both bolts are run down to allow the pedal to operate L & R. For 1-way control one or the other bolts is raised/locked into position to prevent pedal movement. AB1 out :usa

  9. #9strott2009-05-04 14:05

    Didn't realise that about the tak!! From what I remember on the JCBs I do not think that is how to direct the auxillary circuit - never heard of that method used on any machine until now

  10. #10AirBornOne2009-05-06 04:25

    Yup, There are valves for other flow rate control and open/close functions too. Later :usa

  11. #11maddog2009-05-06 10:04

    Thanks AirBornOne: I didn't notice anything like that on mine I'll have to take another look. Allthough the petal still moves both ways, one way closes the thumb, and the other opens if pressure is applied??? I have rigged the thumb with spring return pressure for now. However I do shut the machine off to open the thumb back up because I don't like the way it boggs down the engine when it's running{only to open postion}.

  12. #12JCBgm2009-05-06 13:14

    hey maddog.... I did some research. There is a kit available to retrofit your machine to dual acting!! PM me for details.

  13. #13strott2009-05-06 14:37

    It sounds as if you have dual acting pipework because you can close the thumb when pressing the pedal one way but get resistance although the thumb doesn't close hydraulicly when you press the pedal the other way (when you press the pedal in the direction which bogs down the engine with the thumb open does the thumb close or not?) If not then the two way valve needs opening to allow the oil to flow to the thumb - if pressing the pedal does close the thumb then you may only have single acting auxiliary lines which can be activated by pressing the pedal in either direction depending upon your preference. Interesting one this - be glad to know the final outcome.

  14. #14JCBgm2009-05-06 15:08

    I highly doubt it has dual acting, based on where you got the machine. The original customer bought low spec machines. Below is a diagram of an 8015 with dual acting hydraulics. You need to verify that you have all the hoses shown in the diagram.

  15. #15alan72642009-06-16 17:17

    Not sure if any help, but I have a UK spec manual which shows the valve location and gives info about the position to turn it and single and double circuits etc. The manual is for 8014/8015/8015.2/8016/8017 and 8018. Not sure how to post a picture here but if you PM me I can scan and email relevant pages if you still need them?

  16. #16maddog2009-06-17 08:08

    Hey Alan 7264, I just tried to send a PM, but you still to new to receive them yet. Any info you can give would be helpfull. I'll try again later to PM you. Thanks

  17. #17alan72642009-06-17 10:11

    I have added you to my contacts (dont know if that will help anyway though!) I will try and work out how to PM you, I have a CD with all the maintenance and servicing etc and if I can get your address, I will copy and post to you. Best wait until we can PM before exchanging addresses though.

  18. #18strott2009-06-17 14:36

    Hey Alan, Where abouts are you based in the UK?

  19. #19alan72642009-06-17 15:34

    I am based in Essex. Ask me another as it may help my post count and enable me to get PM's!

  20. #20alan72642009-06-17 15:37

    Ah, should have read the rules and anounsments first..... Thanks for joining us here at Heavy Equipment Forums!! When you registered, you joined the "Probationary Member" group which does not allow you to start new threads. This has been done to control automated "spambots" which attack this Board daily. You may post in existing threads, and once you have done so 3 times, you are automatically promoted to "Full Member" status. It will take at least one hour after making your third post for the program to recognize your new privileges and at this point you will be able to start threads in any forum. Sorry for the inconvenience. Cant wait for full membership in an hours time!

  21. #21alan72642009-06-17 15:54

    First attempt to attach a scan of one page on 1/2 way valve. Its UK so not sure if applicable to you but worth a look I guess.

  22. #22maddog2009-06-18 07:32

    Thanks Alan7264, I'll try to PM again

  23. #23strott2009-06-18 14:31

    Another question??!! Ok then... What type of work do you do?

  24. #24alan72642009-06-18 16:06

    My employment is nothing to do with excavators or heavy machinery. I work for an electrical utility as an electrical engineer maintaining and repairing HV networks. Sounds interesting maybe but must admit the health and safety now gets very frustrating sometimes. I just have a JCB 8014 that I am about to use to clear some land to build a house and hence the interest. By the way Maddog, sorry to take over your thread !

  25. #25Hendrik2009-06-18 21:55

    Whilst 150 for a book is a bit steep it is vital to have in order to maintain the machine at it's best. You may also find that if you go to sell the machine having an operators manual is a plus. You have to consider that the operators manual doubles as a maintenance manual. Do you know the greasing interval of the slew ring? Do you know what type of hyd oil to use in winter? Is there a strainer in the hyd tank that needs cleaning every so many hours? Perhaps if you consider that 150 bucks is round about 2 hours worth of mechanic rates, it won't seem so expensive.

  26. #26maddog2009-06-19 10:16

    Alan7264; no problem threads are there for info no matter where they seem to go I sent you an email, and thanks again for the manual info, BIG HELP. Hendrik; you are correct about better to spend some now instead of a lot later. BUT doesn't $150+ seem a little high for a manual? Thanks to a tech that works at a local JCB company and others here, now including Alan7264, I found what I've needed. I also agree a manual is one of the best tools to have with a machine. I don't have a huge income so I have to deal with what I have. I'd rather have the oil for the machine then a book. I just don't understand why a manual has to be so expensive? I get mad at companies when they do mark ups especially on parts. example go to the name brand company and buy a simple bolt, now go to the local hardware store and buy the exact same type bolt. Not sure how it is there but over here there is a BIG difference in price. I'm not saying this is how JCB operates, don't really know for sure. But I've been to a lot of the name brand tractor companies around here and they'll give you a great big smile while they're reaching for your wallet. Well sorry about the rant, and I do understand your point, and agree to a point. I also feel that my money should be spent the best way possible, sometimes that takes time to find the best deal. other times I have to bite the bullet and go on.

  27. #27ianoz2009-06-19 21:58

    Hi Maddog,I have a jcb8080 excavator here in australia. The dealers pointblank have refused to get me a manual for it. I ended up buying one on UK ebay For only a few dollars This disc has backhoe ,skid steers and the compact excavator range ..I will have a look and see if your model is on the disc And if your interested i will try and get contact details if you want one.Only trouble i found with it is there is no index you can click on each different machine fileto take you to the section you want to look at ,so you have to click on each page to finally get to the one you want to look at .The 8080 one is over 700 pages ,if what you want to look at is on page 700 it's 700 clicks away.Hey are you the same maddog as from the cat forum? ian

  28. #28maddog2009-06-22 09:13

    Thanks Ianoz, nope that must be another maddog on the cat forum. I only belong to a couple of forums tractorbynet and NYCTO. I just own small machinery, but have worked with big stuff. I do enjoy this site quite a bit, and really enjoy the pictures of all the different types of machinery.

  29. #29ianoz2009-06-22 23:08

    Hi Maddog,No worries.This internet makes the world a lot smaller place than it used to be.I have only been on this forum for a short time.So far i have found it to be a lot more hands on than the other one that i'm on, based in england..Have you got other machines besides the JCB?Ian.

  30. #30alan72642009-06-23 09:28

    Ianoz Do you mind if I ask which UK forum you visit? There never seems to be much going on with the UK forums of any sort. This may be generally unfair, but whenever I have asked such questions as how does this xxxx come apart etc, I usually get a reply saying best to take to a main dealer or get an expert etc. The US originated forums are much more keen to have a go and willing to take things to bits (and sometimes they even get them back together again !)

  31. #31ianoz2009-06-23 12:18

    Hi Alan 7264,The classic machinery network forum. There is a couple of retired fitters and ones that are still working that will answer questions and help if they can But most of the rest of them lives seem to revolve around getting photos of some machine ,any machine that they have spotted And posting them,most of the time without any infomation of what it is. The operators on there seem more worryed about taking photos of other guys machines ,bagging them because there is some scratchs on excavator counter weights or a bit of dirt on the cab floor. Don't get me wrong, there's some really good guys on there. I have looked at a farm tractor forum over there,but when i read a few of the posts and they go on about shades of paint not being correct and decals being out of place by a couple of inches I quickly decided that one wasn't for me. Have you seen CMN forum?If you haven't ,check it out and see what you think of it and tell me what you think,anyway it's after 2 am here and i've gotta go to work in the morning .Catch you later .ian.

  32. #32ianoz2009-06-24 20:09

    Hi holger, Mate i know it's based in europe but 90% if not more is UK stuff ,so thought it was easyer to say UK based. As Far as Tecknical Support with CMN goes .as i said There is not a lot of interest In that on CMN ,Not your fault just different type of people as forum members.The first question i asked on CMN was about track gear for my trackmarshall 55 dozer built in england. The first reply to that question was From an english guy saying he didn't know but heres a photo of a trackmarshall plowing.Holger , Go and have a look at the antiquie caterpillar machinery enthusiasts forum There like here ask a question and someone will answer,giving good helpfull advise.Not something that happens on CMN.When i am on your forum i do look for posts that no one has replyed to and see if i can make a usefull contrubution to it and try to get some thing happening on the thread ,knowing some poor bugger like myself has posted it and it gets ignored by the rest of the members.A good example is a post called my weekend drive in off topic.It had been on there for weeks without one single reply so I asked him to tell me a bit more about the traction engine in the photo ,which he did , Which then created intrest it the thread I then asked him how he moved it around to shows but never got a reply , Well as usual i'm used to that there ,i just move non to the next poor lonly post and see if it can be helped along.. Alan 7264 Asked what forum i was on as the forums he looked at nothing much happened on them ,I told him of CMN and hopefully he ,if its not one of the not much happening ones he's refering to in his eyes. He will look and if he likes join as others reading this will look and make their own mind up if it suits them or not. But any way holger it not me or you that That can make the change to CMN I ask the questions I need to know ,Its up to the other members to answer them if they can. If i dont get answers i move to the next forum and try there . When i do Try and stir the pot and get things moving i get offical repremands because some of thef orum members take offence at being told to get off their backsides and do something insteed of just looking ,So either way i have tryed its up to the other members to stop looking and start partisapating ,maybe some of the guys on here now will join and help with this as it is if i knew the answers i would not be asking the questions .But at the moment i am waiting to see if alan7264 gets back with his opinion ,if positive ,i've helped CMN a little bit ,if negitive ,well i tryed . Thats all i can do .ian.

  33. #33NEVERSWEAT2009-06-25 12:50

    Ian If you looked at peoples profiles you will see a great deal of CMN's members are just operators or enthusiasts or not even (like me)have a job connected with plant/machinery.Just because you drive a JCB doesn't mean you know how it comes apart.There are ACMOC members etc plus a few Plant experts. If you post a question and no one answers could it be no one knows the answer ? We can hardly start posting "sorry don't know"can we? Why you worry so much about un-answered posts i don't know - ??? Unless more technical people either join or if they are members start to reply theres not a lot anyone of us can do about it. If people are happy to post a few pictures and make a few comments now and again then fair enough. Remember you don't HAVE to go us or go on the forum. I take it theres not an Australian forum then ? Steve

  34. #34ianoz2009-06-25 18:52

    Hi Steve, In my last contact with you if you remember i had answered questions you had asked and then i asked some myself which you didnt reply to and then raved and ranted when i asked you on a different thread if you were going to answer my questions. I did appolagise to you when You said you weren't a truckdriver and didn't know the answers,To which you accepted appolagy and said you would look into finding some answers if you could,i am still waiting, but not the point. Read all the post and the previous couple of post and don't just pick on a piece of what i said that you dont like to start ranting about again. the main points are I said i liked this forum for its hands on approach,alan7264 asked me which forum i was on in Uk as all he had found,he wasn't happy with. I reply Told him there were some fitters on there that DID answer questions if they could. Holger agreed with me he would like to see more technical help on the forum But without the depth of members that can provide it ,it is not going to happen..There was a forum in australia The old machinery magazine forum But for reasons we have not been told ,it is closed.There is one that may interest you , historic commercial vehichle club forum And also truck mad people. And why i worry about unanswered posts is if someone puts a post up and doesn't get a reply after going back time after time to see if someone has replyed their less likely to post or come back again.. LOOK at the members list of the forum , Most have never posted or very rarely posted,so the ones that finnaly get brave enough to post don't need to be left feeling snubbed when no one answers them back. Finally this is what you guys all ways get upset about OFF TOPIC so, either give me a quick reply here to finalize this or PM me or take it back to CMN and not carry on here.As these guys seem to have more important thing to talk about. ian.

  35. #35NEVERSWEAT2009-06-26 12:14

    Ian If people are that thin skinned they are going to get upset because no ones answered their post then thats human nature....nothing any of us can do about that.I would be more concerned at people posting and no one viewing.Some times the odd post you look at doesn't warrant a reply really.As this forum has nearly 9500 members compared to CMN's 1145 its never really going to compare the same is it? Like i said in my previous post depending on the type of person and their occupation will result in different replies to posts.I know how many post on CMN and how many don't and if those that do are not technically minded then those types of posts will go unanswered.On HEF my real only contribution was to guy that was rebuilding a MACK Midliner and as it was the same as a Renault i was able to help.I read what you said about HCEA - bugger all appears to happen - i read what you said about the tractor forum and worrying about shades of paint and decals in the wrong place.I don't know much about plant but some of the restorations on ACMOC i would say are the correct shade of paint with the correct decals on and if they weren't i bet it would soon be pointed out to them so not a lot different there then. With regards my "RANT" as you put it lets just say there are ways of putting things Steve

  36. #36ianoz2009-06-26 17:53

    Hi steve, I wasn't refering to CMN forum about tractors,It was another forum,which was like alan was talking about with uk based ones. Hopefully alan will get backand let us know what he thinks of it . No matter what forum ,all you can hope to do by posting is make a positive contrabution towards the forum .ian.

  37. #37maddog2009-06-28 08:03

    hello again, sorry I have not written latley been busy trying to get things done. yes I have some other small machines. A dozer and a tractor both sold by Northern Tool. I have owned other stuff in the past also old tractors and dozers. I allways enjoy seeing machinery what ever type it may be. Some of the old machines are kind of neat like an old Fordson tractor on a roller drive system.

  38. #38digger242j2009-06-28 09:24

    So, here on good old red, white, and blue :usa HEF, we have an Aussie and a Brit, heatedly discussing the relative merits of the English language version of a Swedish language machinery site that's hosted in Germany and run by a German... :dizzy I just love the internet!

  39. #39ianoz2009-06-28 10:10

    Hi DIGGER 242J,Mate sorry about that.I shall try not to carry on a:Banghead with an englishman again. I have only been on here a short time and and i had been enjoying the hands on attatude of most of the forum members here. And now shall let maddog have his thread back.ian.

  40. #40digger242j2009-06-28 10:26

    No worries, mate. :drinkup I just thought it was pretty amusing.

  41. #41ianoz2009-06-28 10:28

    Hi Maddog, Good to hear your busy.My son and I have a3ton ,8 ton and a couple of 20 ton excavators.Also backhoe, drott grader,tip trucks and our old toys. Things are quiet on the work front at the moment. Good to see your problem has been sorted, by other members doing the best they can to provide help,the way a good forum should work to help one another .ian.

  42. #42Steve Frazier2009-06-28 10:51

    Alan, this was my vision when I put this forum together, like minded individuals from anywhere helping out someone from anywhere else. I had experienced this with my work trucks in a forum devoted to the particular brand I own, there have been several times where the truck has had a problem and I come in here on the computer, either search for the problem or post about and very quickly have a solution to the problem. I can be back in business in a matter of hours by my own hand rather than being dependent on someone else and a trip to their facility. My hope was the same would happen for machinery. I think why we are willing to try to fix things here in the US ourselves is due to a number of reasons. Our Country is pretty large and still has a lot of rural remote areas, it's just not convenient to get a machine to a mechanic or find one willing to come out to the woods to the machine. Another is many of today's excavators were formerly farmers or descendants of farmers who have always been pretty much on their own as far as maintaining their own equipment. And finally, I like to think it is our nature here to be willing to help someone in need, I live by the phrase "What goes around comes around", in other words, if I help others, perhaps someone will be there to help me in my time of need. I'm not saying this doesn't exist in other parts of the world, I don't know, but it has always been the way where I live. I'm glad you're enjoying your time here!!:drinkup

  43. #43maddog2009-06-29 08:06

    VERY WELL PUT !!!! I also believe in "give help if at all possible." We seem to be turning into a world of more and more greed. I hear the phrase "charge for it !" an awfull lot latley. It is nice to see that there are still those few of us out here trying to help each other, if at all possible. I am by no means a super mechanic, but I do have some experience with certain things and am allways glad to give my "experience advice". :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  44. #44alan72642009-06-29 09:53

    Dear all (and sorry to but in on maddogs thread again) Thanks for the welcome and comments and insite into some whys and wherefors. I have a wide range of interests and different forums from different country's make a facinating mix of ideas and information. The USA sites I like for the mechanics and making things out of what is to hand (DIY at Tractorbyenet) and the German electronics sites are good for technical information whereas the English sites with advice on restoring and renovation of old buildings are the best for me. None of these sites are exclusive on certain topics (some great USA radio tech sites) but this is just purely my personnal preferences. thanks to all. Alan

  45. #45simat80152013-11-17 15:39

    Hi all, Has anyone got a workshop manual for a 2001 JCB 8015, serial number 821830 ? My aux peddle has seized and I need to find out how the peddle / cable goes together - i think the cable is ok, just don't want to damage it whilst disconnected the completly corroded end. I've look all over the shop and can't find anything reliable.

  46. #46maddog2013-11-18 06:13

    Hey Simat8015; I no longer have my 8015 jcb(miss it) but I might have some info, if I can find it(?????) If I remember correct there isn't all that much to the peddles. Try spraying some PB blaster into it and slowly try to work it back and forth.

  47. #47simat80152013-11-18 16:39

    It's really really corroded, looks like it hasn't been used for ages, will probably have to drill the bolt out.

  48. #48maddog2013-11-19 18:06

    How did you make out? I can't find my info on the machine, I may have let it go with it.

  49. #49simat80152013-11-20 14:12

    I've managed to seperate the cable from the peddle assembly, had to drill out the pin and then use lots of WD40 and brute force to undo the large nut securing the cable to the floor panel. Cable seems to actuate the valve block ok so sprayed some WD40 down the cable too. Now that both floor panels are free of the JCB I'll drill out the corroded bolts, clean up the joints and install new bolts. One of the floor panels is quite badly corroded some I might make up a new panel or price one up from a JCB dealer - $$ kerching. Anyone know how big the alternator is, I've got 2 x 50w worklamps to fit to the front of the cab, I want to make sure that the alternator will take the additional load. I think it's 40A and my 3 x 50w (including boom light) comes to 12.5A.

  50. #50pondo2013-11-20 18:38

    Hi Glad to hear you got cable moving. FYI wd40 is not a great penitraiting oil(sorry not spell right A good oil like pb blaster or duralube with sometime can do amazing at loosing bolts and cable. Wd40 over time can do more harm then good. In regards to lite...have u looked into LED...more lumes (brightness) per watt. They r going be more money but huge reduction is draw on alternators...

  51. #51Parker562016-07-13 03:06

    hi gentlemen: I too am a new member and CAT308B owner. If I make a mistake on this forum don't rake me over the coals. First I'm a new operator and owner and excavating mountain land in the Philippines. My wife's cousin showed how to operate the backhoe (30 yrs ex.) but that's all. took two to find the battery. But now I'm looking for the fuse panel. anyone know where it is? thanks