Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New pickup

Dozerboy · 2006-03-06 02:27

Last week on a rain day I did what I do every rain day blow $$$, but I came home with my new love 06 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 speed 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box. Had it since last Tues and have only had time to drive it 3 times.

Replies48
  1. #1badranman2006-03-06 06:01

    Congrats on the new truck!:drinkup I have a couple of Duramax's myself, I love 'em.

  2. #2rino14942006-03-06 06:50

    Awesome truck :thumbsup

  3. #3erthmover2006-03-06 09:16

    Nice Truck...Gotta love Diesels:bouncegri

  4. #4Finance Guy2006-03-17 14:30

    Very nice!!! FG

  5. #5miKe F.2006-08-07 19:59

    Nice truck, how much did it set ya back?

  6. #6Dozerboy2006-08-07 22:33

    Thanks $43K I got a few K more in accessories and after I'm sure it will last awhile I'll start with the power mods. And it still puts a big **** eating grin on my face. Newer pic

  7. #7Steve Frazier2006-08-08 23:25

    It's too pretty to work out of!! Needs some torch red along the bottom of it though:wink2

  8. #8bigHD2006-08-10 23:26

    Very nice looking truck! Those newer towing mirrors work and look great.:thumbsup

  9. #9Dozerboy2006-08-11 19:18

    Thanks, you got that right it’s about time GM got some real mirror on there trucks.

  10. #10alan627b2007-01-16 14:59

    Nice truck! Gotta love diesels..her'sa couple of my trucks, my 99 dakota R/T and my D350, next to some of MacAninch's dozer/pan combinations on a job they did here last summer. I like to park next to stuff for pics, gives a sense of scale....another thread, here somewhere... alan627b

  11. #11cw4Bray2022-12-11 16:47

    They're forcing the public to use the ethanal during colder months while efficiency goes down more than 25%. Even at 25% more fuel cost, the BTU price per gallon is better. My next personal vehicle will have a 6.6L duramax with a DEF delete.

  12. #12Landclearer2022-12-11 18:06

    Nice truck. Congrats!

  13. #13Mark132022-12-11 22:06

    I got all excited that someone found a really nice LBZ duramax then realized how old this post was.

  14. #14Coaldust2022-12-11 22:26

    That’s funny. $43k in 2006 for an LBZ. It’s probably still worth that in 2022.

  15. #15Truck Shop2022-12-12 03:57

    Probably crashed.

  16. #16Tugger22022-12-12 11:58

    I hear now a new F350 diesel crew cab with a few bells and whistles is well over 100K. Im driving a 2015 f350 now ,still have a 2003 f350 for crew and a 2006 F350 parked. The 2006 was a great truck but had over 400000 K on it. The shop that was doing my service work said it would need 20,000$ put into it .That seemed way too much ,but now maybe its worth it. Maybe have to put my old 76 F250 back on the road with its mighty 351M . It was 8400$ new when i bought it in 77.

  17. #1792U 34062022-12-12 12:07

    I'm done with new vehicles. $2500 ****boxes from now on.

  18. #18colson042022-12-12 13:04

    I've felt that way for awhile now. My current truck was bought for $7500 with 202,000 miles on it. I've driven it for over 5 years/60,000 miles. I've put $3000 into the truck in maintenance. Not a cost I'm upset with given a comparable F350 thats 5 years old is well north of $35,000. I can afford to fix things and keep up with the vehicle maintenance for a long time and not breach that number. Even replacing an engine and a transmission would still keep me under $30,000, not counting my labor as I'm more than capable of doing that work myself.

  19. #19mitch5042022-12-12 13:22

    That's been my policy since 1989. I bought a brand new 1987 ton truck when the 88s came out, put 60,000 miles on it in 13 months, totaled it. When the bank and the insurance co. got through with me, I owed almost as much as the sticker price was. I went and bought a nicer '82 for cash, and haven't looked at a new one since. Until a couple of years ago, you could get some great used stuff if you were willing to buy when you didn't need it.

  20. #20Truck Shop2022-12-12 14:21

    Mine-2006 ranger 4L, bought it 2013 for 6,000 with 55k on it, has 130k on it now. just regular service/maintenance.

  21. #2192U 34062022-12-12 14:23

    I still don't see the justification for used truck prices. I see trucks similar to mine listed for north of $18-$20k. In all honesty, I wouldn't pay half that for mine and its in way better shape than most.

  22. #22mitch5042022-12-12 14:46

    I was in Outback Steakhouse about 2005 or so, overheard a guy behind me complaining about a pickup he couldn't sell, said he'd take the first $2000 he was offered or he was going to donate it to charity. I stood up and asked about it, '99 Ranger, 2.x 4 cyl, automatic, 89,000 miles, tow package, heavy payload package. He said nobody wanted it because it was a long bed and had been driven by a smoker. At the time my father was driving a '92 Toyota he loved but had 300,000 miles on it and no A/C. I bought the truck the next morning and brought it to my father, who said thanks and gave me my money back, then parked it in the yard until summer. He started driving it more and more over the next few months, then the '92 became the shop truck 'til a fitting under the intake rusted out and I never got around to fixing it. I inherited the Ranger back in '14, used it for a shop truck 'til I got tired of putting fuel pumps in it every year, it's out there now with 150k miles on it, back in service after my 2500 GMC was totaled.

  23. #23Tugger22022-12-12 15:53

    I know a guy who bought a new pickup off the lot. A few month later they were after him to sell it back for more than he paid. With all the ins and out taxes ect im not sure if it was a real gain for him. It used to be ,buy a new one drive it off the lot and loose 20% right away.

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-12-12 18:23

    I've posted this one before, owned it almost 24 years. Never failed once, always started. Paid $2,000 for it used. 1984.

  25. #25CM19952022-12-12 19:17

    FWIW I've ordered a '23 F350 6.7HO Platinum with Tremor package and it's just over $100K. The Platinum is fully loaded only one trim higher the Ultimate and Ford doesn't offer the Tremor package on it. Now I wonder what happened to Dozerboy?

  26. #26Tugger22022-12-12 20:06

    I have slowed down what i do now ,but when things were busy and had a few guys working we needed good pickups . I really like the idea of finding something good as Truck Shop has but some of the crew were not so nice to vehicles.And we did a lot driving from the Island to various spots up north. Im not sure how much sense it made to give them a brand new F350 s but thats how it was. I always leased the trucks we had a good dealer that would allow us to lease until the truck cost us a dollar at the end.No kilometer charges or damage stuff. Business wise it worked well. That nice truck sounds pretty nice CM1995 congratulation's , ill bet you deserve it.

  27. #27CM19952022-12-12 20:43

    Tugger I just ordered it to have a spot in line due to the long lead times. The economy will dictate if I take it or not when it gets delivered. The current lease/rental options are a good idea IMO for work trucks. National Car Rental commercial has some very attractive monthly rental rates. If we had the need for multiple trucks on the road it would make sense to rent monthly as the cost is comparable to ownership and they will replace a broken down truck in kind with no additional cost.

  28. #2892U 34062022-12-12 20:50

    Few years ago I was kicking tires on the Ford lot. I was looking at a new F450 Platinum on the lot. Over $100k on the sticker. Salesman inevitably wanders over. He wasn't impressed when I pointed to the Freightliner dealer down the street and said for that price I could get a nice, used M2 instead.

  29. #29Tugger22022-12-12 21:04

    One of the attractive things about leasing here is the amount dosent show on the balance sheet as debt. And the monthly payment amounts are 100% write off,more write offs are great as long as your making some money.

  30. #30Truck Shop2022-12-12 21:45

    That 2006 Ranger I own was a total/salvage title. Gayle the other guy I worked with rebuilt over 30 Rangers. He knows every part and piece in a Ranger from 1993 to 2011. It doesn't matter to me about the salvage title, run it till the doors fall off.

  31. #31Mike L2022-12-23 06:28

    what is in the tremor package?

  32. #32crane operator2022-12-23 10:32

    It sets all the girls to shaking.

  33. #33Tugger22022-12-23 12:36

    Dont laugh about shaking the girls ,got in a friends new f150 and the passenger seat vibrates and rolls around to massage you . Feels like your sitting on a bag of cats. I dont think much of the TV screen on the dash telling you everthing from where your going to whens a good time to stop for a leak. I keep a set of road maps stashed under the back seat that will get me from Alaska to Arizona .

  34. #34Mike L2022-12-23 17:54

    No wonder he ordered it. Don’t blame him!

  35. #35CM19952022-12-24 11:22

    LOL. The Tremor package adds bigger shocks, factory front level kit, longer vent tubes on the axles, deletes rear sway bar and adds different off-road modes such as sand, snow, and mud. Basically a Raptor light package for the Superduties. Now the massaging seats are no joke. Platinum trim gets massaging seats which my wife loves - hit the heat button then relax massage and she almost doesn't complain about my driving. Seriously after a long work day and an hour or more commute the massaging seats helps me from stoving up on the way home.

  36. #36Mike L2022-12-24 11:49

    haha! I never heard it described that way but I know what you’re talking about.

  37. #37Tugger22022-12-24 12:56

    Ive had heated seats for years and run them steady .They help worn out back lots,you know its bad when heat seat is cranked in the summer along with the A/C wide open.

  38. #3892U 34062022-12-24 13:32

    I wish someone would build a "man's truck." I could care less about accessories, just give me an interior with features common to a base level truck from about 2006 along with a nice exterior appearance package. Big engine under the hood with a manual transmission and manual transfer case. No reason what I listed should cost more than about $30k.

  39. #39Tugger22022-12-24 13:52

    I think your looking for a Model A ,if your into Fords . I know what you mean ,just has to called a truck to satisfy todays PC requirements

  40. #40mekanik2022-12-24 14:27

    I always buy used and 2 wheel drives. No one seems to want a 2 wheel drive so they go for a good price. My last 2 trucks were ex U-Haul rental trucks. U-Haul buys the base model from the brand that gives them the best price and after a year or so they send them to auction. in 2013 I bought a 2011 F150 long box regular cab 2WD with 13036 kilometres on it off a dealer lot for $16000 Canadian. I sold it to a friend in 2019 and bought a GMC 1500 Sierra long box regular cab with 36000 kilometres on it for $21500. I am still driving that truck today. The dealer I bought the GMC from had the identical truck with 4 wheel drive and twice the mileage and they were asking $38000 for it. I live in the north where we get lots of snow. I install good winter tires for the winter and have never had a problem. You need to know how to drive in the snow.

  41. #4192U 34062022-12-24 14:43

    They can cancel me. I'm not playing into that stuff.

  42. #42mitch5042022-12-24 23:02

    I just want what I had 'til August. An early '99 GMC 2500, 8' bed, 2wd, regular cab, bench seat, rubber mat, and crank windows. A 6.5, auto, and a very good locking rear axle. A young girl pulled out in front of me and destroyed my perfect 30 yr driving record. They put her 100% at fault, but she had no insurance. My insurance valued my truck at $3000, I asked where I could buy a good diesel p'up for that? When all was said and done, I got $1800, and the truck back with a salvage title and needing a front clip. Maybe if the diesel fuel price differential stays where it is, I would rather have a 5.7. I was getting 11mpg with the 5.7, and 18 mph with the 6.5. If I was shooting for perfection, I would have an extended cab and 4wd. I go offroad very frequently, but between the locking rear and good sense I only get stuck 2 or3 times a year anyway.

  43. #43barrelroll2022-12-29 16:03

    My '02 poverty package 2500HD with no options besides a big block and 4wd has 210k on it. I dread the day it dies and needs to be replaced. Mid 2000's trucks were about the pinnacle of simple reliability with enough power and some creature comforts if you wanted them. After 2007.5 diesels went to crap, trucks got a lot more plastic, and now there's so many computers and boards just begging to give you problems. I put a couple 1,000 miles a year on my truck, hopefully it can last a while longer. When it needs something major it will be a tough decision to fix it or replace it with a new full of plastic computer controlled disaster and hope I get one made mid week. The days of The wife has a new car, I bought it a year ago and put a Honda 5 year/ 60k warranty, at 4 years 11 months 29 days or 59,900 miles it's getting traded in. The odds of new fangled cars having some $2k computer or touch screen the dealer needs to program or configure to install go out are pretty good. The older they get the more likely they are to have issues and I'm sick of the "my car is doing this" phone calls while I'm out of town for work. I've just accepted this expense and figured out how to make it happen. I pretty much know how much the car is going to cost me over the it's life and shouldn't have any surprises. Keeping it out of warranty could be cheap or could be an expensive gamble. I just know I'm not going to to have to be troubleshooting why the heated seat only works on the middle setting, why the sunroof doesn't open, or why the tail light with a computer board in it doesn't work.

  44. #44Dozerboy2023-01-24 14:26

    Dang I can't believe this post is still active. I still have this truck. It's been retired from a daily driver for at least 10years now. Its my weekend toy and pulls my camper. It's sitting at 700hp. I would love to build it for 1000hp, but the diesel performance industry has been hurt by over regulation by the EPA.

  45. #45Coaldust2023-02-09 01:03

    I just wish GM would paint their frames. Re-applying the frame wax gets old. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191197-9999.pdf

  46. #46DDoug2023-02-09 10:21

    Ford is electro dipping the frames. I think my 2007 Colorado had the same, the frame never rusted in all the time I had it.

  47. #47Dozerboy2023-02-09 13:19

    I've never known anyone to rewax them. I use PB blaster surface shield on mine. Works really well.

  48. #48mks2023-02-09 14:18

    Fluid film is popular and has wool wax amongst other things in it