Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New seat & seat assembly needed

j&d ยท 2012-03-18 23:52

May seem trivial to some of you but my body just won't take it anymore. Would like to avoid another back surgery. Specifically we are in need of something for an open station D7G at this time. That means vinyl I assume. Don't care if its air or not just need something comfortable with a little cushion. I expect it to be expensive. I had hopes somebody would know of something aftermarket that they might have previously used and would fit right in. Looks as if it needs to be kinda low profile or modifications may be required. Would appreciate any suggestions as google hasn't turned up much except more confusion and Cat was no help. Thanks for any help. Jeff

Replies8
  1. #1dblaneyfan2012-03-19 08:52

    Hey j&d, We usually replace our seats and frames with Bostrom Viking T-bar seats. They are a good bit cheaper than the Cat seats and the quality seems just as good. Here are a couple of options: http://www.bostromseating.com/products/vikingheavy.htm http://www.bostromseating.com/products/vikingstd.htm The heavy duty is our preference, but we have installed the standard in D6D's before. Good luck, J

  2. #2tj_farmer2012-03-19 08:53

    ebay baby, they have seats, also surplus center has seat assemblies. 250-550 plus shipping will get ya something halfway nice. just know your dimensions

  3. #3Nige2012-03-19 11:10

    In a dozer I would go air suspension every time, especially if the machine had non-suspended undercarriage. Usually you can buy the air mechanism to bolt directly on to the existing seat, all you need is a 24v power supply.

  4. #4willie592012-03-19 20:58

    I've purchased several KAB seats from Industrial Seats, mechanical and air suspension, fairly comfortable seats. http://www.industrialseats.com/pgr.asp?pgrID=18&categoryID=8

  5. #5shawneecat2012-03-29 12:03

    I got one from Agri Supply works good for me! http://www.agrisupply.com/Highback-Suspension-Seat-Slides-Black/p/66549/&sid=&eid=/

  6. #6livetolearn2012-05-22 23:23

    Has anyone bought outdoor fabric and re-covered their original seat? If so where do you go to find the material? I'm presently into a rebuild of a 1966 Ford 4500 backhoe and I need to re-cover both seats.

  7. #7theironoracle2012-05-22 23:39

    The air ride is the best according to the operators. Had to install one in a 3 yard wheel loader feeding a small rock crusher. The operator had gotten out of a 5 yard machine and still had keep up production after a few days he was super sore. Installed the air ride seat to replace the spring suspended seat which was only about 1000 hrs old and he could actually walk and not limp to his truck at the end of the day!!! Has to be worth every penny. I am so glad i don't get paid to operate.

  8. #8dblaneyfan2012-05-23 09:02

    Look for an upholstery shop in your area, should either be able to do it for you or supply you with what is needed.