Hey guys 1st time here. I'm looking for some direction to do in on the type of machine I need. I live on the edge of the woods (2 acres) and need to clear /level some land. I will be doing a bunch of dirt moving. building paths and digging footings for pole barns and decks etc etc... I am thinking a Skid steer is going to be a better bet for me vs a tractor?? Are there any big things to look @ when looking for a skid steer? I am currently looking @ a 1981 Mustang skid steer. Can I find a backhoe attachment for this and most other skid steers easily??? http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/4984277111.html any help would be greatly appreciated ! -Lewis
what about something like this ?? http://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/5028664990.html
well, having looked at skidsteer backhoe attachments I can tell you they ain't cheap. the articulating ones are really pricey new and the used ones seems to be high priced. for my simple needs I ended up just buying a backhoe boom which is just a straight arm with a bucket on it...havent' even used it yet. Depending on what you need to dig you might look at a stump bucket which you can use to dig trenches with. depending on how much work you need to do and your time limit for doing it tractor implements are just so much cheaper than skidsteer attachments. Mind you I like hooking up my skidsteer attachments (power attach) so much better than a pto but for the price... You could do some of the work with a cheaper tractor then just rent a bigger machine for a weekend to do heavier work.
the only thing that bothers me is that the tractors look very cumbersome, where as the skid steer is very mobile and able to climb hills and grade fast...... I have a feeling I will end up with both eventually
G'day, I have tractor,skid steer, exc, etc on a few acres in OZ. Each has it's special atrributes not equalled by other machines. If you have to have one machine then economics says a decent brand/horsepower tractor with some implements. I would suggest 35hp or better for your purposes but I am always on the higher HP side of things. Skid steer attachments as mentioned are much more expensive than tractor implements and do the same job essentially. I have Case and Massey Ferguson and both are strong machines. Bobcat skid has been good. Mitsu Exc has been good. Had but disposed of backhoe as Exc leaps ahead in versatility and uses. Tractor can be used with post hole digger, etc. Good luck, MX45
Just be aware that you can quickly spend more in repairs than you did to purchase the machine. I would not buy any skid steer that old. Find an 1845C for around 10K do all your work and sell it for 10K.
Yeah like ksss says leave that heap of parts alone. For starters its going to need 4 tires and probably rims to do any serious dirt work. That will run you probably 400 a piece, or 1600 total. I doubt your going to like the Wisconsin motor. And it looks to have been owned by a redneck shade tree cobbler. Go find a 1845c or a Kubota L35
If I could only have ONE peice of equipment for what you describe , it would be , with NO reservation, be a compact tractor. Very versatile , easy to use, easy to get parts etc.....A skidsteer is a powerful tool , however it's uses are limited and repairs can be extremely high. 2 arces of land would not come close to justifying that kind of investment IMHO but if you must try one than I suggest you rent one and see if it meets your plans....again , repairing an old machine is not inexpensive by anyone's measure... Stump jumper just pointed out two very good machines to search out. he is very experienced and knows what he's talking about...it looks like more than one Redneck had their hands on that poor little machine....good grief that is bad looking...I got a headache just thinking about what's honky rigged on it..... Good luck no matter what way you go and keep us posted......
G'day, Just one more two cents worth. I agree with the last two posts. Kubota is a reputable brand here in OZ and so I expect built equally well around the world. Only caution would be careful of grey imports as can be difficult for parts but lots of parts can be engineered as well. Looked at a Chinese tractor once but read reviews and looked at noted failings like pins in backhoes coming out straight from the get go - simply poor material and incomplete engineering. All that said when I look at what I have the indispensable piece would be the Case CS75 - a compact tractor with front TPL and PTO along with 4wd and rear PTO and TPL. Cab tractor for all weather and keep the dust and grit away from your lungs and your ears still working. Diesel only. I have a crowd bucket with ram for tilt that I have rigged to the front TPL. Better to have 4/1 and front end loader as you get the height you will want/need for loading. Last advices - take a bit of time and wait for the right machine for you. The comment above about 2 acres is right - you dont need or should nto need multiple machines. A compact Kubota (although I always lean towards more grunt HP) would be ideal with the add ons. Cheers, MX45
If you are going to mess with tree roots and hills, stay away from the gasoline engine. With a narrow machine like that, plan on putting it on it's side. I used a similar unit on my friend's mountain top golf course. I'm hard headed so it took me two times on my side before I purchased my own mid size skid. Sitting on your side with potential gasoline leaks is a bummer. You'll be surprised how quick the combination of a slope and some roots will tip you! It's not totally worthless. Consider it a gateway drug that will lead to the bigger machine you need!
I would rent a skid steer for the start of the job, and see how you like it. A job spanning maybe 1 week total. (the inital land clearing and leveling) Later on job, maybe rent a compact tractor, have a go on it. Then you can make a decision. You will definitily have a list of what you liked and dis-liked.
all great info guys thanks! I think I will start looking for a basic 4x4 tractor....preferably with a backhoe. I'm sure I can dig footings and grade well enough with it......and hopefully it will be a great investment for years to come. Come to think of it....every other house in my town has one !
Hey Whats the smallest tractor I could put a front load bucket on?
A totally worthless one..... I drove a simplicity garden tractor with a loader, IIRC 20 h.p. briggs twin, 500 lb loader capacity. No way could it dig (heck, it couldn't even scrape very good, trying to pick up topsoil off a concrete pad was beyond it's capabilities). Be carefull with your money out there, rent/borrow and try in your situation, keep notes. There are allot of nice looking machines out there, that are not very good for your application.
My son had a 4x4 Kioti Compact tractor that came with a front end loader when he had a small hobby farm for clearing and brush hogging. We put in a circle drive and I used the FEL to demo an old foundation. Manual tranny had plenty of power. Think it was around 24 HP. Wheels were liquid filled so there was plenty of traction. Worth checking out if there is a good dealer near you. Made in S. Korea and the fit and finish was gorgeous. So it will kill you when you get your first paint scratch. He sold it when they moved closer to town. Sure miss my "Grandtractor" but replacement Granddaughter more than makes up for the loss...