Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me 1974 Case 680e w/Shuttle issue

jberg583 ยท 2013-07-19 05:44

I just bought a 680e with a shuttle issue. It doesn't go forward or reverse. I was wondering if any of you out there own a 680e. Or have had similar issues on other machines. I understand that the 680 is a lot less "limber" than the 580, but I'm looking to move dirt/rocks and clear land. I also just found out the 366 is an undesirable engine (found out after purchase) why is this. I do have the maunals and just started going through them...

Replies2
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-07-19 07:01

    I cannot help you with the shuttle issue other than suggest changing the oil and looking to see if any material of some kind comes out with the oil. Be sure to remove the FRONT plug in the housing, there is a spring and filtering screen behind it. Although the torque convertor has a drain plug, it cannot be removed without removing the entire shuttle assembly from the engine. Unfortunately the oil in the two units interchange with each other.Which means that you cannot do a complete oil change without draining both of them.The engine is a actually a 336 cubic inch almost identical to the earlier 301B engine. Thousands of them were used in dozers and T/L/Backhoes. I don't know why some would say it is an undesirable engine. They must of had a bad experience with one.

  2. #2Delmer2013-07-19 21:12

    I can't speak to that engine, but I'm guessing it's being compared to the cummins, and falls short in that comparison.