Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Bobcat 863 owner needs some PDF in his life

BoominSVX ยท 2016-11-25 19:07

Hi guys! Looks like an awesome forum, and I'm glad to have found it! Thanks for having me. That being said, I need to do something I've always despised, but desperate times... ya know? I have an 863 F series with the Deutz 4cyl turbo diesel. Bought it in pieces from a gent who used it to build his house... right up until he blew it up. He pulled it apart, bought everything he needed and walked away for other priorities. Now I have to make sense of it all, at least if I ever want to play with my new toy! The head and oil pan are off. He cracked a piston. He bought new valves, a new piston, a new rod, rings, and push rods. I SHOULD have everything. The problem is finding all this info. I have manuals for 873's Gehl skids, Deuts engines and everything in between, but some are op manuals, and some are parts manuals. I have not yet found the magic (and elusive) Bobcat 863 service manual. I know a gentleman by the name of oldmachinest had posted them many times in various forums, but has since passed away. I also know many forum members (throughout a few different forums) have linked others to them, but I cannot find the actual 863 manual posted anywhere. All links and pages are dead ends. There's lots for me to understand. I read of injection pumps needing shimming, piston cooling nozzles, clearances throughout the machine that need close attention, more than I feel comfortable with "winging" at this point. I've been in my fair share of diesels and gas engines, but without the specs and info, I might put together a time bomb. Can anyone please help me out here? My email is Black88z. This is at aol and it's got a dot com and everything. (Good luck spammers!) Any help for actual Service Manuals on this machine would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Replies6
  1. #1BoominSVX2016-11-26 23:16

    Nobody? Someone has to have downloaded this thing at some point before it was pilfered by all the sites claiming to have it for 9.95 that didn't pay a dime for it to bobcat. I don't intend to help with an insane mark-up currently imposed by the manufacturer, but I don't want to pay someone for stealing it from the internet and then getting the file deleted either. $130 is my whole timing belt kit.

  2. #2zlssefi2016-11-27 17:03

    do you have any diesel engine shops near by? Maybe an old school place would have a manual and let you borrow or maybe rent it?

  3. #3BoominSVX2016-11-27 18:06

    3139 union I have the 873 shop manual to handle the engine. Some of the accessories and remaining parts of the machine aren't really covered as things changed beyond just the loader arms. I have 28 pieces of equipment alone. Then 7 different trucks and a car. If I went out and bought every manual I needed, I'd have spent more than the $2800 I just spent on this bobcat by now. I've always found them somehow. Even my toyota forklift from 1973 had a file tucked away deep in the interwebz, but this (one of the most popular bobcats ever) is testing my abilities. All these machines are personal use machines. I don't make a dime off them. My tasks around the farm get easier, but that's about it. Buying all the manuals, oil, timing belt, belt tension tool, injectors, piston cooling nozzles, tires, 1 rim, an engine wiring harness and a bucket are already on the plate AROUND the engine rebuild itself. I'm just grasping at strings here. DREAMING about the day this thing is running and I can actually use it.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-11-28 03:36

    You need to be searching the engine model instead of bobcat 863.. equipment model Deutz made a lot of 4 cylinder engines.. try> BF4M1011F Basically your looking for a 1011 manual. As far as the pump shimming goes, unless you changed a major component, cam, crank, block.. the pump shimming will be the same. Just use your existing shims.. They'll either be on the pumps or stuck to the block.

  5. #5BoominSVX2016-11-29 19:37

    I've been through every search. One of them found me the Deutz "engine parts book" for the Gehl SL5635 which seems to use the same engine. I've searched 1011F, 1011, BF4M1011F, F4M1011F, 863, 873, you name it. Cycled through 20 pages of google every search term (most of which were machines for sale on the internet and manuals for sale) but still haven't found something I can rely on to fix the 863. I guess I'll have to send some money to someone who was at the right place at the right time and downloaded the book I've been looking for when it was cycling through the internet. Well, I had to try. Thanks VERY much for the info on the shims. None of the vitals were changed, so I should be good. The only reason I suspected trouble was because the engine ran hot enough to break a piston, and I was worried about injection issues. I'll just send them out to be tested and see how things look.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2016-11-30 05:32

    Call Deutz in Norcros GA.. they'll set you straight on which manual you need. ask for the parts dept. A hard copy is worth its weight in gold.. Have ALL the info off the data tag BEFORE you call.. otherwise, they'll treat you badly.. 100.00 says, whoever you send them to, will sell you new pumps.. its just the way it is.. and that's why I'm here, doing what I do.. NOBODY tests them except the factory. They pull the pumping plunger out and check for wear and sell you new ones.. They may or may not charge you for "inspecting" them.. the cost of parts, when they are available, exceed the cost of a new unit.. so bring some lube.. lol