Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Case 580ck

OldRedFord ยท 2021-02-09 19:15

Picked it up over the weekend. Has the mechanical shuttle shift, 4 speed transmission with a high and low range. I see there are two dip sticks. One at the shuttle shift cover and one almost under the seat. I added some gear oil to the rear most compartment to bring the level up. To begin with it wasn't even to the bottom of the dipstick. I ran out of daylight but is there a drain plug under there anywhere? Now the shuttle shift area..i haven't added anything to it but while letting it sit and run after rewiring the temp gauge I noticed a oily drip that wasn't there before. Took the inspection plate off the clutch housing and found watery oil running in. This prompted me to remove the cover right under the fuel tank. Not happy with what I found. Then while looking for a drain plug underneath I noticed the entire right side brake assembly is simply not there. I do have brakes, just surprised to only have half.

Replies11
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-02-10 10:54

    Well it looks like you have some work to do. Not too bad of a job for brakes the clean up is going to be a pain though. If you have oil coming out of bell housing then you will have to split tractor there and replace the input shaft seal.

  2. #2outlawspeeder2021-02-15 12:13

    Not sure what I am seeing in the 2nd photo. It looks like where the brake should mount?? Drain plug is under the rear end. If I remember you will need a socket wrench as it is countersunk. More photos?

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-02-15 14:02

    It is really dirty, but there is a splined stub shaft exposed on the RH side.

  4. #4outlawspeeder2021-02-16 08:14

    That should be brake? and then dif lock? Are you missing parts? Your leak could be from seal 28 but I think you have other problems. If this pic is the drivers right side there should be two (2) splines there. Part 15 passes though 18. They pass thought the brake and the "collar" in the last pic is the differential lock. When the collar is moved to driver's left it locks the two splines together locking the right and left together.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2021-02-18 10:18

    Don't get him confused, he has a 580CK not a "C" series. His stub shaft looks like it doesn't have the diff lock shaft sticking through so that option not there.

  6. #6outlawspeeder2021-02-19 09:59

    You are right. Please do not use the reference above

  7. #7JL Sargent2021-02-19 11:02

    I'd pressure wash that whole tractor before starting any work.

  8. #8Larryv2021-02-22 23:59

    Is there a plug in the end of the splines shaft? Similar to item 17. If not you will have to split the machine and disassemble the final drive. someone could have sheared the diff lock shaft. I've never seen that happen in 40 years of case repairs but anything could happen I guess

  9. #9Larryv2021-02-23 00:03

    BTW, there's not supposed to be a plug in that side gear but someone could have jammed one in there to keep oil in case.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-02-23 14:11

    Welcome to HEF, Larry !

  11. #11Vetech632021-02-23 14:17

    Ok....I just have to know. Was this a auction machine?