Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me D5G XL

TxD5Garrow ยท 2010-04-07 00:35

I just bought my first dozer. I bought it at an auction don't have all the paperwork yet so I don't know if it comes with a manual or not. It was running when I bought it, and today it didn't start jumped it off and ran fine but none of the gauges work on it. And the biggest problem is that it would not turn off. What in the world is wrong with it? Anybody ever had issues with gauges or not shutting down?

Replies17
  1. #1FurakawaMatt2010-04-07 07:48

    Congratulations on your first dozer, TxD5Garrow! Just a guess on the shutoff that it requires a electric signal which you do not have. Diesels will run without need of a battery since there is no spark plugs to fire. So start with a test of your Battery and than check the main fuses for any blown.

  2. #2d9gdon2010-04-07 08:31

    Circuit breaker Check the main circuit breaker too, it could have tripped somehow. Get a multimeter and check to see if the alternator is putting out around 13.6 volts. Unhook your battery cables and put a load on the battery with a tester if your alternator's putting out or take it to your favorite auto parts store to test, your battery could have an internal short. I've had trouble with my D4G not turning off because of a shutoff solenoid, but I think you better track down your electrical problem first.

  3. #3TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 10:00

    I looked at the fuse box by the hour meter but all fuses are good. Only 13 of them there. My hour meter doesn't work either. But the tag says it had 903hrs in January 08. It has two batteries caterpillar brand. It has two blue buttons on the left side in the battery box that have 90 on them that I already pushed and on the right side there's a battery cut off switch and I have turned it to both directions and still nothing. When I turn the key nothing happens. Anybody have a fuse pattern diagram so I know if there's one missing and what they are for.

  4. #4d9gdon2010-04-07 11:04

    Fuse diagram I've got the parts CD for a D4G, it'll be the same. I'll have to track it down and look it up. I've also got access to Cat parts online, the diagram may be in there. First thing I'd do is check the ground on your batteries. Then check your ground that runs through the master switch (that's all it does is kill the ground to the tractor) Then check to see if you're getting voltage outta the batteries, use a digital multimeter. They're simple to use, get one at Sears for $19.99 and the instructions will tell you how to use. It will become your friend. Do this first then if that don't work, I'll try to guide you thru some other stuff to try. By the way, the blue buttons were the circuit breakers. You got power to them?

  5. #5TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 15:46

    I checked both batteries an it shows 3 volts each. Do I buy new batterries or charge them?

  6. #6FurakawaMatt2010-04-07 16:09

    Looks like new batteries. Without a load test it is difficult to know for certain but using a voltmeter you would normally expect close to nominal 12 volts (Surface voltage does not give loading voltage). However if you have a charger handy it would not hurt to throw it on them for a night and see if the batteries recover (From the description, not likely).

  7. #7swampman2010-04-07 17:41

    Hard to believe its starting with only 3V on each battery.

  8. #8swampman2010-04-07 17:44

    Oops, forgot to read in depth. Yea, sounds like you need batteries.

  9. #9TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 19:16

    Went ahead and bought two duralast batterys $209.51 at auto zone hope they workout. Gonna put them on in a little while. Hope it solves the shut down issue.

  10. #10d9gdon2010-04-07 19:54

    Did you check that other stuff first? You might be throwing money out the window. Those Cat batteries will last for 6 years, that's how long mine made it on my D4G.

  11. #11John C.2010-04-07 20:02

    Was the master switch left on after you ran the machine last? The batteries in a Cat will draw down if you don't turn the switch off. If you leave it on for a week or so on marginal batteries, they will be dead next time you go to run the machine.

  12. #12TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 20:37

    Good info, been charging them and they lost the 3v and are bubbled on the sides so they're definitely bad.

  13. #13TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 20:47

    The ground cable is attached and has a good connection. I cleaned of the cutoff switch and everything seems to be good. Looks like I may have a fuel leak from an injector line or little rubber hose. There's slot of dirt stuck to the motor and it smells like fuel. Now I'm wishing I would of bought the one with the cab, but I didn't cuz I couldn't afford it.

  14. #14FurakawaMatt2010-04-07 21:05

    Hope your charging system on the dozer is ok. As for a little diesel leakage, if the machine runs alright, you will get used to the smell. Rather hard to avoid diesel odor when working around heavy equipment.

  15. #15TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 21:28

    I'm thinking it may be fine, if it runs with no batterys at all after they have been disconnected does that mean the alternator charges good? I have a 2007 5.9 I6 cummins that doesn't leak any fuel, that stuff is gold right now so I'm gonna make sure there's not one fuel leak on that dozer.

  16. #16FurakawaMatt2010-04-07 22:26

    Not necessarily, Diesels do not need any electric system to run. Although any computer controls on the system would not work. Diesels are run from compression detonation, not spark initiated like gasoline engines. (yes, I am aware there are a few rare gas engines that are also compression detonation besides those suffering from "dieseling" during shut down).

  17. #17TxD5Garrow2010-04-07 22:39

    Ah, gotcha. I hope its not a bad alternator. Im hurtin already, dont hace it currently running and no work whatsoever for it.