Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Ford New Holland 555E

eodnut · 2025-02-07 19:07

I just purchased a 1998 555E 4x4 machine. It starts runs everything SEEMS to work only issue is the curling cylinder is pouring out what I believe is wiper seal. What are common issues/problems to watch for and where is best place for a paper service manual? TIA

Replies26
  1. #1NH575E2025-02-07 19:15

    Search on here and you will find plenty of info and repairs on the E series New Hollands. The wiper seal keeps dirt out. The gland seal keeps the oil in. Getting a kit with all the right parts is a lesson in frustration. New Holland superseded the gland on most of the cylinders and discontinued the original kits. I buy my hydraulic kits off eBay from whoever has the best price. Waiting on two loader lift cylinder kits now with baited breath and fingers crossed. eBay is the best place to find a paper manual if you get lucky.

  2. #2eodnut2025-02-07 19:19

    I have worked on OTR trucks and some equipment for almost 30 years I have NEVER worked on one of these. Any specialty tools needed? Are they known for any problems?

  3. #3NH575E2025-02-07 22:03

    The only common problems I know of is the difficulty finding cylinder kits but we all manage to overcome it and get them sealed up. You can always bite the bullet and buy the new pistons and kits but that turns a $50-$80 job into a $500-$700 job. Fuel contamination is always a possibility with a diesel. These machines have been known to clog the banjo bolt at the sediment bowl on the so called emission engines. If you start to lose power that would be the first place I would look. The hydraulic screen in the tank has a rubber disc that is known to come loose and get stuck in the outlet hose. It needs a thin wrench with a 3-1/8" opening. I made a crude one from 1/4" metal.

  4. #4eodnut2025-02-07 22:09

    We have a place here in Knoxville that I've taken rods and pistons of "hard" to find or extremely expensive packing kits that they have matched them up and been 1/3 of everyone's prices. I was worried about transmission issues or something oddball. I got the backhoe for 4k, so I am extremely happy and it wil be used to build our new homestead. Thanks for the help. How do I search for specific equipment on here?

  5. #5NH575E2025-02-07 22:12

    Search is in the top right corner of the screen. Read my edits above I added after you read and quoted it.

  6. #6eodnut2025-02-07 22:33

    Sweet thanks

  7. #7cosmaar12025-02-07 22:56

    Welcome to the forum. I have a 98 555E as well. Good luck on your journey. It will have its ups and downs and bouts of frustration. But it beats digging a hole with a shovel

  8. #8eodnut2025-02-08 00:18

    Thanks, I am praying for a "peaceful" journey

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-02-08 08:09

    What a fantastic deal you got! When you get a chance, post some pictures. That deal was so good, I and am sure others want to see if it’s real or a Tonka toy. 4k is pretty much salvage price for just the hoe in the back. Where abouts in Tenn? I lived and built my dream house in Buchanan right by LBL land.

  10. #10eodnut2025-02-08 08:12

    In east TN close to Knoxville and I will load some pictures today I only have 1 so far

  11. #11cosmaar12025-02-08 08:18

    2wd, open cab, extendahoe it looks like. How many hours?

  12. #12eodnut2025-02-08 08:27

    Its 4wd open cab and can't see hour meter for all the crap piled on dash

  13. #13rumblecloud2025-02-08 08:31

    Dang! That is a great purchase price. I'm embarrassed by what I paid for mine. Looks like you'll need some proper front rubber as you start your build, but that's easy enough. And yes, please post more pics along with the SN# when you get a chance. Welcome to the 3-Nickel Club!

  14. #14cosmaar12025-02-08 08:36

    Definitely need some new rubber on the front. Those look like drive tires.

  15. #15eodnut2025-02-08 08:38

    Heres the VIN plate hard to read in picture. I'm excited, I've known the family selling it for 20 plus years its been garage kept last 15 and only ran about once a year, I'm guessing lower hours but all that sitting probably gonna need a ton of hoses 1st time I really start using it

  16. #16rumblecloud2025-02-08 09:00

    Looks like a later model '98 based on a comparison of mine (0310003413). Sometimes it helps in locating the right seal kit and other stuff. Looking forward to your progress on your homestead!

  17. #17eodnut2025-02-08 09:12

    Local dealer looked it up said manufactured October 98. Yeah seals can be a pain to locate sometimes, but like I mentioned earlier we have a place here that is all they do, now it won't say ford/new holland or case, cat etc but I've never had a failure from their seal kits. I made a bid on fleabay for a manual we will see

  18. #18NH575E2025-02-08 09:34

    That is a steal of a deal. Looks pretty much unmolested. That is a strange tire arrangement for a 4WD. R1s on the rear and street tread on the front? I just replaced one of my fronts. My hoe has R4 tread all the way around and I think that is probably standard. R1s all the way around would be great for dirt only where you don't mind the grass damage.

  19. #19eodnut2025-02-08 11:46

    Y'all are correct the man selling it was wrong it's 2wd. It has 1100 hrs on it. I started playing with it to relearn how to use it and cylinder stopped leaking. There are some dry rotted so im going to replace them and service it completely.

  20. #20eodnut2025-02-08 11:56

    I got a 18in spare bucket as well. I belive I got a good one here

  21. #21NH575E2025-02-08 12:36

    Holy low hour machine batman! 1151 hours is hardly broken in. I see the rear tires better now. They are typical R4 design. Make sure and check the drain holes on the tool box in the hydraulic tank. There is one in front and one in the rear. If you are going to store it outside go ahead and clean the inside of the tool box and coat it with some kind of sealer. You don't want that to collect water and rust through.

  22. #22rumblecloud2025-02-08 12:37

    2WD ..Yeah I can that now. The SN# has a dash under 4x4 axle. Still a great find. You'll figure it out after you get stuck couple times. Even with 4wd I had to learn how to crab crawl outta some stuff I got into

  23. #23eodnut2025-02-08 13:18

    Yeah weighing 14500 it will sink but with common sense HOPEFULLY I won't sink it

  24. #24eodnut2025-02-08 13:20

    I found the tool to tighten the hydraulic tank top in the box and its still got paint in toolbox since it's been garage kept

  25. #25rumblecloud2025-02-08 13:39

    You know...I bet the diff lock even works? If it does, be careful using it.

  26. #26eodnut2025-02-08 13:40

    I will check it