Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new to me John Deere 310e

smittydog · 2021-12-30 21:58

Picked up a 1999 JD 310e with 5000 hours on it, seems well maintained. I operated it and it had power and dug well. Will have to replace some glans, but nothing leaking badly. Going over it now and it seems the outfit that previously owned it used NAPA filters (marked 6/19). Want to change all fluids and filters, etc. I’m assuming they didn’t use any JD fluids either. (I have older ‘68 CASE 450 and 530 CK backhoe and HAVE to use CASE TCH fluid in dozer or no drive) Also have two new Kubota machines (under warranty) but use all Kubota fluids/filters. I guess I’m going to get JD fluids and filters but (don’t know the price difference vs NAPA oil/filters)? I will get prices tomorrow, assuming that most go with NAPA with no ill effects. This machine will be used on my farm, so not too much heavy working. Semi Retired machine. LOL Anyway, just wanted to see if any thoughts out there.

Replies10
  1. #1tool_king2021-12-30 22:42

    You can run after market oils with no issues. Same with filter .Just make the meet specs.

  2. #2Swetz2021-12-31 07:33

    NAPA and Wix are the same filter. I am not a filter expert, however, I have used Wix/NAPA without incident. The good thing about NAPA is they are available within 5 miles of my house. The bad is that they are a bit spendy at my local NAPA. I have used this place for filters in the past. I usually buy all of my filters at one shot in order to take advantage of the discount they offer (10% $125, 20% $200). I usually get the Wix version. https://www.fleetfilter.com/?msclkid=2c0a3c34c04712b88d355dfa34d119a3 I have found one or 2 filters that do not cross reference, so those I buy from the dealer, New Holland in my case. I have compared the NH price vs the Wix price and there is a significant savings to be had. I recommend you get Deere pricing and compare. If the price was a wash, I would personally go with the Deere, unless they were unavailable (the world we live in today). For oil, I use an aftermarket equivalent for the hydraulics, but use the NH branded oil in the rear. Because I have a powershift trans, that is simply mercon/dexron, nothing special.

  3. #3JL Sargent2021-12-31 10:04

    I have that same machine. The E series is the last JD backhoe series before the computerized version, the G. The transmission is the heart of it. I would only run JD HyGard fluid in the transmission. I would also suggest you drop the transmission fluid presently in it (its less than 5 gals.) and replace that fluid and filter. That way you know where you are with it. A reman on that trans last time I checked at JD was $14K. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to do that. There are 2 service manuals that cover that machine. If you are gonna work on it, those are a must. Bought my manuals off Ebay. These are excellent backhoes, BUT owning a backhoe can be a very expensive endeavor compared to a 20 year old farm tractor.

  4. #4smittydog2022-01-01 10:35

    I got the manuals from eBay already. From ‘web’ pricing, JD seems cheaper on most filters (local dealer been closed for holidays). I think I’ve already talked myself in the JD fluids and filters. Yeah, gonna replace all fluids. Noticed two things so far. The battery box has holes/corrosion. I have removed it and will weld new piece in place. Also, the front loader valve has an electrical plug (two wire) that is broke in two. Any one know if I can get just the plug? I am assuming it disengages the transmission when using loader?

  5. #5JL Sargent2022-01-01 11:43

    I don't think I have that. My guess would be "return to dig" function.

  6. #6NH575E2022-01-01 11:45

    That's a regular old Bosch style fuel injector connector. You may find some cheaper but here is the first link that comes up as a match on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-128701...sprefix=bosch+injector+pigtail,aps,543&sr=8-2 Here is one at O'reilly https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ck-2003-ford-f-150?q=injector+connector&pos=2

  7. #7smittydog2022-01-01 21:30

    It’s in the control valve assembly, tucked down by the batteries.

  8. #8smittydog2022-01-01 21:33

    I believe your right…same connector but not for fuel injection. It’s on the front loader control valve. Thanks, Steve

  9. #9Delmer2022-01-01 22:22

    You could strip the plastic back and solder those wires if you want. I'll second the guess on return to dig solenoid. If you don't know what it is, you'll never miss it.

  10. #10NH575E2022-01-02 09:55

    It was used on injection and sensors of all types on cars back in the late 60s originally.