Pictures of my new truck that i picked up. 1998 GMC Sierra 2500 Longbox Ext. cab Diesel. Has a File about 1 1/2" thick of Service and parts Records Since the truck was New. originally Owned by a an A/C company in Colorado then Bought by a guy Near me to use as a work truck but ended up with a company truck. Also the first Diesel i have seen that doesn't mark its territory. Still haven't got picture (Damn Rain) so these are from the Craigslist ad he had up.
Nice work truck! I have always preferred an 8' bed with an extended-cab, so much more useful than the 6'6" bed option. It does however take some getting used to thier overall length. A buddy purchased a 2008 F250 Super Duty, 4x4, oil-burner, long bed extended cab 2 years ago and it took him a month or two of hopping curbs before it finally sunk in, hey man, it's a loooong truck. :Banghead
I have had a F350 crew cab long bed for 6 years, you get used to where you can go and where you can't go pretty quick..:cool2 Congrats on your new truck Reid! Hope it serves you well.:drinkup
Hi CM, And thanks to you and Willie for the "Moderation" of he who once but only briefly dusted crops here at HEF, it was well deserved. I should've mentioned, it was my buddies FIRST pickup and he chose to go BIG. Just curious what motor is in your Super Duty, your's is exactly like my 2004 F350, I've had nothing but cooling troubles with my 6.0L Power Stroke. I recently saw that International was aware that the engine was already pushed to its limits and any performance mod's would wreak havoc. Have you heard any such thing or had similar issues, provided of course you have the oil-burner version?
I do have an oil burner, the 6.0. It has had it's troubles... In April of 2011, it had new head gaskets, egr valve and egr cooler replaced under warranty, thank goodness. Last May, the HPOP went out. I had the "improved" HPOP installed and also deleted the EGR valve and installed an SCT tuner. So far so good, no problems with overheating. I baby it, watching the coolant temps and trans temps. The 6.0 is a good motor if you fix the inherent problems with the EGR system that inherently boils the coolant by circulating it through the hot exhaust gases in the EGR cooler that is prone to failure.
OOh seamac those 6.0l have a lot of cooling issues if it has any power adders. That engine gets pushed by its designed limits real quick, starts with egr cooler tube, then the heads will blow off, and other problems. Best thing to do if its still stock is egr delete and put a good aftermarket coolant filter, then fill full of Cat elc coolant. Its a good engine stock, but has limits. A great engine if you are willing to put some money into it to fix the problems.just google ford 6.0 problems, you will have a couple days worth of reading.
That's exactly the cooling troubles I have suffered, blown head gaskets, and EGR coolers, dealer claims all problems are due to my performance mods and flat refused to warranty ANYTHING, 6.0's are expensive to repair without a warranty. I know that it has been the most problematic truck I have ever owned since new. I don't want to start a war here but I have always been a Ford fan but am seriously considering moving to a GMC next go 'round.
I have always wondered why people want to work out of a shortbed truck. I have only had one, and I hated it.
Just so you know Seamac, the new ford 6.7 are awesome great power, better fuel milage than the 6.4s have two at work 350 duallys 9 ft utlity bodys get around 17 to 20 depends who drives, just getting them broken in. Short beds suck, I have one now on my truck, with the big weathergaurd can barely fit anything in it. Thats a pretty clean 6.5 you picked up there, dont see too many like that where I live, espically the diesels.
I have a 100 gal fuel tank, large coffin lid Weatherguard toolbox on my long bed. A standard 4' pallet will still fit in my box, but that's it. I can't imagine going back to a short bed truck, although it would be much more maneuverable. The gooseneck trailer hitch barely clears the toolbox, I have to be careful jackknifing the trailer as it will get into my box. If you are going to own a 6.0, an EGR delete is a necessity. Also upgrade the HPOP, as when it goes out your truck is dead in it's track. The oil cooler is another item to inspect/replace while doing these modifications. One can buy these 6.0's cheap because everyone is scared of them. A few of the mechanics around my area have started buying them at auction for nothing, doing the mods above and re-selling making a nice profit. The 6.0 is stronger than the 7.3, I have both so it's an easy comparison, but the 7.3 is way more reliable. The 6.0 just needs a little aftermarket help.
CM1995, I agree with you on the 7.3, I have an old 37' bucket truck with one and it simply won't die. I know all too well about the "scare" buyers feel for the 6.0 as I have yet to be able to find a buyer for my '04 F350 and want it out of my life forever. 390eric, I've heard some good things about the new Ford designed 6.7 but FoMoCo has gotten reeeeaaal proud of their trucks. Soon, I will pull the trigger an a new truck and certainly test drive and do my homework. I do think the upcoming Platinum Super Duty is sweet but at $63k it may be out of my budget, too bad it only comes in a crew cab, I'd like to go extended cab only this next go 'round. Thanks for the feedback...