Here's a picture of my new toy, a 450A John Deere. This one is just going to be for personal use around the property to go in the collection with my old Caterpillar 922 loader and my John Deere 1010 dozer. Gonna pick her up this week and hopefully move a little dirt with her this weekend!
Here's some more pictures. I hauled it back to the shop, gave it a good steam clean, and changed oil in the engine, finals, and transmission. Then I took it out and worked it for a few hours and it still has plenty of power.
Looks open without the ROPS! Congrats!
You could dig basements under existing homes
Looks pretty good, looks like you have the fixtures on the back for a backhoe attachment. What kind of steering does that one have? I use to have a friend who had a smaller one perhaps older like a 2010 I think it was called and he said the steering clutches were the dry type and wore out quickly with a fair amount of turning. Still it looks like a decent machine.
No thank you! My dad and grandpa used to do that in the 80s using a Cat 955H (later a 955K), and a Gehl 4610. Not fun haha
I have no idea whether they are dry or oil clutches. I'll have to look in my service manual. This one still steers pretty well. It's been well used but it still works very well. It was last used by a tiling company to pull their tile trailers across wet fields, hence the plugs on the back of the battery box.
Be carefull getting it too purty, it expect it all the time and then all it'll want to do is lay around in the garage and listen to the radio
Oh don't worry, it's going to stay just like it is.
It has dry clutches. I had a 450 dozer. Another guy was just on here talking about his loader and clutch problems. Keep them adjusted and keep using them. They can either freeze and not release or if they get oil on them they slip. My dozer also broke the motor mount bolts at the bell housing on a regular basis. Don't loctite them in as you'll have a hell of a time getting the broken ones out. Mine were easy to replace until I did that. Good luck withit Randy
I stored up some pictures from using the 450 this summer. Brought home a new project and used the 450 to move it around. Dad and I did some brush clearing at my new place with the 450 and one of our skid loaders. He was reminiscing about his days running a 955H, so he wanted to run the 450. After we were all done. I think there's a couple more I'll have to upload later.
Good little machines, take care of them and they will you, I would be investing in a Brash cage working in the woods though. Was on my list as a potential buy before I went down the path I did, should have stuck with the Deere even as my machine is 1/3 heavier it may not do any more real work. Definite yes on the dry clutches, good choice with the attachment head on the rear but looks like could use some new work shoes and a little bucket work to make easier digging(teeth).
Nice pics D&G. I liked the last one with the corn field in the background. Reminds me of that 1984 movie, The River. Had a lot of old JD iron in it.
Thanks guys! I agree some different track pads wouldn't hurt at all, but it's working pretty well for right now. Here's the rest of the pictures I have from this summer.
I know that I need to loosen up the track tensioners a bit. I adjusted them while it was sitting on concrete, and when I have it in the dirt they tighten right up.