Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New toy CAT 420-D-IT need owners book

Southern Man ยท 2014-08-02 16:38

Picked this package up yesterday. 2001-2002 model I am told. 3,650 hrs. Needs a good servicing and a couple cylinders packed along with a few odds and ends. Ifn anyone has an owners book in their files I would be grateful for a copy of it. mainly need to know if there are any hidden filters to change that are not in plain veiw. Thanks in advance.

Replies12
  1. #1CM19952014-08-02 17:33

    Congrats Southernman, it should treat you well. I have a 420DIT too, bought it new in '03 and it has 2500 or so hours on the clock. I just have the forks and regular bucket, wish I would have got a 4n1. Used it this week for a small demo and grading job. The filters are pretty easy to spot. There a zillion grease fittings on the loader boom, I like to keep these well greased as I have seen machines with worn bushings - there is a lot of slop when they get worn. There are also grease fittings on the U-joints going to the front hubs, hit those. Other than that it's a pretty simple, reliable machine. It will lift and set a 4x4 pre-cast inlet box with the backhoe but it's all the machine wants.

  2. #2Nige2014-08-02 18:37

    If you can post the Serial Number prefix I can tell you what Cat publication reference to look for.

  3. #3Southern Man2014-08-02 19:56

    7bj thanks

  4. #4Nige2014-08-03 09:05

    Sorry, that's the engine ........... Your machine S/N prefix will be one of 6 possibilities - BKC, BLN, BMC, FDP, HLT, or MBH.

  5. #5CM19952014-08-03 09:41

    Mine is BLN, your's is probably the same.

  6. #6Southern Man2014-08-03 13:39

    Bln

  7. #7Southern Man2014-08-03 13:45

    Yall think 30k was a fair buy for the total package?

  8. #8CM19952014-08-03 13:47

    I think that's a fair price. The forks, regular bucket, boom and rake are worth $2K +/- a piece if you wanted to sell them.

  9. #9Southern Man2014-08-03 14:09

    All the accessories are CAT and no bobo brand. Should last me for a long long time.

  10. #10Southern Man2014-08-03 14:15

    I just picked up a parts book and operation/maintenance book for $40 delivered from eBay. I'll be hitting the junk yard this week to see if he has a tractor with an extendable boom since I already have the plumbing to work it. I'm also wondering if there is a post hole auger made to pin to the stick. If so my days of digging post holes will be over.

  11. #11CM19952014-08-03 14:58

    If the backhoe has aux. hydraulics, shouldn't be a problem to hang an auger off it. Might need to fab a mounting bracket but no big deal.

  12. #12Nige2014-08-04 07:46

    For BLN-prefix the correct Operation & Maintenance Manual is Cat Reference SEBU7821-05. Make sure you bought the correct one for your machine otherwise the information it contains may not be 100% correct.