Ok heres the story. I have a chance to pick up a 743 that looks like new....and i mean new. 3 bb size chips on the loader arms ,600 hrs and no leaks rust nothing notta. Kept inside its entire life and cared for by a retired operator who washed and waxed it top to bottom. The only wear is on the bucket... little very little . No water ever in the engine compartment ,cleaned that with air and no rented imps ever to keep his baby pur ..lol . Not even paint fade. I need a machine to load logs on the mill and move em around the yard, move a little dirt and cut a few trails in the woods. And a little snow plowing. The short wheel base scares the who whos outa me on the machine. So i need some input from those that know the machine. what can it do ?By the way its my first post on here and if i did bad forgive me for i no not what i did.:beatsme
That good of shape I would be interested in it. I normally tell people to stay away from the old 40 series because they are normally worn out and shot. That said I would not pay a penny more then $5000.
While I think you may have found a gem as far as condition, I think you will find the machine lacking in lift capacity. I don't know what the ROC is on 743, I would bet somewhere around 12-1300 pounds. I think you would want a larger machine to move logs. Demo the machine first if you can, or rent an S130 its got about the same ROC and see if it will move what you need.
The ROC is 1300lbs. That said, its a very capable and bulletproof little machine, bought mine new in '89 so I've got a little experience. I use mine around the farm, moving logs, firewood and general clean-up. It'll work good for loading logs on the mill up to a point. Big heavy hardwoods are going to get you though. I'll attach a few pics so you can get an idea. Ed
I had a B model I bought new and ran for 6,000 hours, can't say I'd ever buy another one after owning some other brands of skid steers, mine had a diesel engine a kubota, which was the good portion of that machine. I was thinking that all the 743's had that engine in it but I'm not sure. I'll second the demo idea before I'd ever buy it, even rent it if possible and go demo some other brands too. I don't know how much your going to use it per year or how much you'll have to depend on it running every day. I also understand finding a good used skid steer is hard to do, especially a low houred machine you can almost afford, so use your best judgement on this one. That machine does have its good points, but for me, the negatives outweighed the good ones, but after saying that if your only going to use it part time or put maybe 100 hours a year on it, that might be different, but I ran mine almost 800 hours a year. As my family once said, they were happy to see it come, even happier to see to it leave, and nobody has missed it since either, it was also hard on my disposition when ever I had to work on it, anything bobcat is from my experience but that's another story.
I was vacationing on Lake of the Woods a couple years back and all the top brass from Bobcat was there. In conversation with them they stated that was the best, BEST, machine they ever made!!! I would buy that sucker in a heartbeat!!
If you just remember what it is ( a powered wheelbarrow and better than a shovel ) its a good reliable, simple machine that will do all the work of a new machine. You will have to use your head and bite off smaller pieces. Any day you will be able to get you money back if it stays in good condition.
My first 743 I bought when my son was born (he's now 26). I have owned a few . Hard working Kubota motor is just under 40 hp. The loader arm will crack at the lift welds and the hydraulics are a little under power. One of the best machines I owned. ps My 26 year old one now has 12,000 hours on it. I would change the oil every 40 hours. Spec said 50 Keep the u joint greased!