Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie and I have an industry question

Lynch ยท 2008-12-17 22:12

Hey all. Found this forum through browsing the net doing some research. Nice to see a lot of people from my home state of Virginia :usa My question is I was wondering what kind of work there is out there for CDL-B straight truck contractors. I was thinking about buying a used, but good condition 24' or similar straight truck and hauling freight for companies. Is the business out there? How hard is it to get insured etc etc. Again, just ideas floating at the moment and thought I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance guys

Replies10
  1. #1Greg2009-01-31 17:39

    Around here the only thing you could get work with would be a quad axle dump truck and than go broke with it.

  2. #2Speedpup2009-02-01 11:28

    You have money insurance is there for you. The economy is in the tank and slow for just about all. When you see major corporation laying off 100,000 in one week that should tell you how business is. Unless you have a hook some where for work I personally think you are at big risk in this time to succeed. Freight companies are choking at the present time as their are less goods to ship. It does not cost anything to get insurance quotes and figure business cost or explore the opportunities.

  3. #3mackman2009-02-01 12:01

    I have had dump trucks for years. This is the slowest winter I have seen. It would help if you know a place you could lease on to start. That gives you time to build a customer base. To jump in with nothing but a truck and a phone number will be tough. Insurence is relatively inexpensive. I use Farm Bureau and a blanket commercial pollicy to cover trucking and excavating. Most states require at least $750,000-$1,000,000 of coverage.

  4. #4Greg2009-02-01 16:21

    :Banghead I have had dump trucks for years too. :Banghead Around here there is nothing it any more.:Banghead The only time they go off of the place anymore is if I need them for my jobs.:Banghead s Oh ya, did I mention that hired drivers are such a joy to behold too?:Banghead Get the picture?:Banghead

  5. #5mackman2009-02-02 21:13

    Trying to find a driver with a clean drug screen. Or my favorite, I can't work today I worked two days in a row last week. ointhead Extra special!

  6. #6Greg2009-02-02 22:12

    :Banghead You forgot about "When I put the truck in the shop at night it means that it needs some work done on it. I don't have to call you and tell you about it, or leave a note, it is up to you to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Now you expect me to miss a day's work today because you didn't fix it last night just because I didn't call you and tell you or leave you a note about what needed to be done to it? Geeeeeesch!!! what a sorehead you are!!! :beatsme:ban:Banghead

  7. #7mackman2009-02-02 22:19

    That must be nice that yours can get the truck through the shop door! Without having landing lights.

  8. #8Greg2009-02-03 00:05

    Did I say they got the trucks through the door? Had one driver let the box down when the truck cab was inside and the rest of the truck outside. Got the siding above the shop door with the cab guard. That was the last time he did anything around my place. Oh ya, couldn't understand why I went wild and threw him off the place either. "What a grouch."

  9. #9mackman2009-02-03 17:16

    Some people just have poor attitudes. Like when you are following you other truck the bed is going up and tearing down phone lines. Then you ask if they left the pto in and of course they have no idea what language you speak. :beatsme:The phone company must have hung those broken wires on the poles.:duh The worst thing is I have been buying hyd oil all this time and didn't relize I had a magial dump bed.

  10. #10hammer662009-02-03 21:02

    i like when they go up the road with there tailgate not quite shut leaving a trail of gravel all the way out of our pit,and have to callin a street sweeper