Hi I want to buy a 4x4 hoe for homesite work. I looked at a 1990 Ford 555 B? maybe. It has 4500 hrs and some worn pins. It also has a problem with the lever that puts the mach in forward. Maybe an adjustment? Has some rust. I also looked at a 1986 Case 580E. It has 6500hrs and a bad fuel leak out of the top of the IP. It has more rust than the Ford. Other than the fuel leak and the rust, it looks good. I know nothing about backhoes. I do like the Cummins in the Case cause my Dodge has the same type of motor. I also know of a 1995 Cat 416B with 7000 hrs for the same price as the other machs. I haven't seen it yet. So which one would you get? Thank you Dean
This is only a wrench's perspective, (no offense intended to the Ford or Ford triple nickle owners) the 580E is way easier to work on the the 555B Ford.
And then there is the parts thing. Ford agricultural and Ford industrial are different. We have a Ford tractor dealer next town over, but if you need Ford industrial parts you have to keep traveling. Case will be easier to get parts for usually.
I know nothing about case but all my company has ever ran was ford and cat backhoes. So out of these two I would recommend the cat, it has more power then the ford ..... usually less breakdowns and parts are readily available. We have one Ford left and our local dealer is going out ..... so now we have to travel two hours to get parts. We have three cat stores, two are a half hour away and the other 45 minutes so its nice. Also with cat you usually get the part you need same day or the next day. With ford we would wait weaks sometimes for parts.
You must be talking about Gus and his son in Wartburg. I installed an overhead door in their shop back in the 70's. Can't remember the name of the company. Is Gus still there? He was a heck of a nice guy. Not to derail the thread, just a question to Amunderdog, you fellows carry on now.
My first choice would be the 580E, very easy to work on and Case parts are easy to get most overnight. Second choice would be Cat also because of parts availability.
Thanks Guys Dean