Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie owner – Terex 760b

customfab · 2015-12-10 00:30

Greetings and happy to be a new member. I just purchased my 1st backhoe loader and ended up buying a 2006 Terex 760b with 1300 hours. Appears to be in very good shape. It is for personal use and after watching anything from JDs and Cases felt it was a very good value. I'm using it for general land clearing work and to eventually move around large logs once my building is complete for a large throat sawmill I'm building in Texas. Anyway, I am very good with most anything mechanical but have no experience with industrial equipment other than forklifts. I'm an engineer by trade and metal fabricator by passion. Are there any Terex owners that would be willing to let me PM or email you about general operational and maintenance questions? I have no documentation and must learn on the fly. Already have questions related to some of the controls, e brake, warning lights or lack thereof, diff lock, etc. Thanks! Hope someday to be able to share some knowledge as I build experiences. Still a rookie!

Replies7
  1. #1Catback2015-12-10 16:30

    I have a 760. It's a great machine. Unless you have proof that it was just serviced (at 1000 hours) the axle fluids, brake oil, brake adjustment, air filter, engine oil, transmission oil...pretty much everything has to be changed. If it was all just serviced, just stay on schedule. That is a good way to pre-empt bad things from happening.

  2. #2customfab2015-12-10 21:48

    Catback, thanks for the advice. Consider it done. I'm already planning on doing the hydraulic, engine, tranny and coolant tomorrow. Just hope I can figure out cross reference oil, hydraulic ,tranny and fuel filters to purchase locally. I'm a bit in the blind on cross ref part numbers as I haven't found a good internet store with part references for Terex loaders. The one thing I'm immediately concerned about is engagement of the 4wd and the three positions on the console. I'm hearing no switching or engagement sounds when I toggle the switch. Original label is gone and my operators manual hasn't arrived. Can you tell me what each position is? I assume one position is rear diff lock? There is the counter clock wise position (11 o'clock), middle and clockwise (1 o'clock). Other than that, the e-brake isn't working at all. I see there is a caliper on the rear output shaft. Happen to have advice on the e-brake?

  3. #3Catback2015-12-11 06:54

    Assuming your brake lever is in adjustment...there is an adjustment on the pads so there is proper pressure on the disc. There are two nuts on a 5" bolt. Loosen the outer nut, adjust the inner nut so that the pads are in contact with the disc (with the e brake off...obviously, and properly adjusted), then loosen 4-5 flats (so that pads do not touch disc when rotating...obviously...you may have to jack the rear end for this), tighten the outer nut to 45-55 in/lbs. The diff lock is the left floor pedal. Is the 4 wheel drive a "toggle" or a dial? If a dial, right is 2wd2wb, center is 2wd4wb, left is 4wd4wb. You shouldn't necessarily hear or feel the 4wd engage. You should never engage the drive while moving. You will know by feel of the 4wd when operating (or jack up the front end and engage and see if the front wheels drive). I don't know that you'll be able to get the fuel filter locally. You should regularly check the glass bowl for water or sediment, and clean if necessary. Most of all the fluids are available locally, excepting the brake oil. Did you buy this off EBay? Two just came up for sale with the hours you have.

  4. #4customfab2015-12-12 17:25

    Thanks. I will check out the E-brake and follow your routine. I saw the adjustment while get dirty yesterday under the loader. I managed to find the cross-reference to Wix oil and hydraulic filters and changed those fluids yesterday. 4WD is a dial switch...3 position. Dumb question, what does "wb" stand for? I did jack up the loader and tried the 3 positions. Weird thing is that I could physically stop each tire from rotating by grabbing them forcefully with both hands on the knobbies (not trying to lose my arm)....under idle though. Didn't matter the switch position. But today during use, when rotated to the left, seemed I was in 4wd and driving all 4 tires. Is the diff locked when pedal pushed to the floor or raised? Can you tell me what hose fitting types that Terex uses in the 760? I blew a hose on the backhoe today. It was quite worn and I am going to replace several of them which are near end of life. They are Gates 1/2" hoses but I'm not sure about the fitting types. I'd assume British? BSPP? Sure be nice if they are JIC but I'm doubting the English would be so nice in manufacturing design. Not off Ebay. Local heavy equipment re-saler. Couldn't find one local enough via Ebay. Seen a few go for really good prices on Ebay. D

  5. #5Catback2015-12-13 07:50

    You're welcome. Diff pedal is engaged when to the floor. I believe the threads are BS. I've never had to replace a hose yet. Any good hydraulic hose shop can make you one...even some NAPA stores. Else you can order through a Terex distributor, just have your wallet out.

  6. #6customfab2015-12-13 12:07

    Yep, hoping to order online. I'll see if someone can confirm on another thread.

  7. #7Domsue06192023-05-04 16:34

    Customfab, I’m wondering if you were ever able to get manuals for your tx760b ? I’ve searched and can’t find any but would love to have one. Thank you