Hi guys, new guy here hoping someone can help me out. Two years ago I bought a 1998 Fermec 860 TLK 4x4 backhoe. It has 3200 hours and up until now has been rock solid. It has a perkins turbo diesel. Here's the issue. It started to take a long time to start, and when it finally did, it ran for a minute or two and then stalled out. I thought I may have run it out of fuel and had air in the system so I changed the filter and bled the lines the best I could. I thought I had it fixed but today it's back to the same old thing. I don't seem to get a steady stream when I disconnect the bleeder line going into the thermoheater and use the priming lever. Also, and I have no idea if this is normal or not, but when it runs for a minute or two and then dies out, if I crack the water separator drain, it acts like it has built up a vacuum and sucks in air. It does this every time. Is any of this indicative of anything? I don't have a big enough trailer to take it anywhere, and I know it will cost me a fortune to have someone come out, especially to where I live. I want to exhaust all of my options first. Thanks in advance! -Tim
Tim Pull the fuel line off the water sedament filter and clean the fitting out,then blow back thru the line to the tank.Clean the screen out and make sure you have fuel passing. bob
If that doesn't fix it (ascertaining clean fuel delivery) I would next check ample fuel delivery at each cylinder by loosening each fuel line 1 turn and cranking over. If fuel is not gushing out of all four lines you still have blockage somewhere, or the pump is starting to fail.
Thanks guys. So I completely disassembled the water separator and it was gunked up really good...put it back together and it's still creating a vacuum in it. It did fill up with fuel when I started cranking it. My next step I guess is to remove the lines and make sure they are clear. Also, where is the screen you are speaking of? I want to make sure I can clean or replace any filter that may be clogged, so far that is just the fuel filter and water separator. Also noticed that the fuel line going into the thermoheater was missing it's "olive" which was new to me. I have to put that in since they came today. I'm assuming the lack of one may have introduced air into the system.
The lift pump has a screen in it that ought to be cleaned.
Is the vent on the fuel tank or the fuel tank cap blocked.
hi did you ever get that fermec sorted
I did...have sold it since, but the problem was the stupid plastic o-ring on the fuel line going into the pump. It was just about gone and introducing air into the system.
Hi I have that machine and had a similar problem which turned out to be the first fuel filter after the tank. Very unusual location and it took ages to sort but a simple fix in the finish. They are a powerful machine but difficult to work on.