Since I had such good help with my brakes issue (resolved), I figure I'd run this one by you guys. Ever since I bought this 555E, the right side out rigger operating handle is a real B to function. You really have to mussel it all the way in either direction and then give it a real good shove to get it back to neutral. I tried lubing the linkage and oiling everything that moves but that has zero effect. The left side works nice and easy. Any ideas as to whats making this drag so badly?
I would disconnect the linkage, if it’s somewhere easy to get to and first see if the problem is in the spool first.
The stabilizers are controlled by cables. I suspect a tight cable. I would try to get lube into the cable housing. To verify it is the cable, you could remove the cable at the valve bank and try to move the control in the cab.
I dunno Swetz, If he has a two lever control -- this is what I found. No cables. The 4 lever control is about the same From Xtriggermans description he has already lubed the linkages. Sounds like a damaged spool in the valve section for that stabilizer.
From when I first tried to fix this, I sprayed the cable mouth multiple times with parts loosener like PB blaster with lithium grease spay as well. all that had no effect. I couldnt figure out a way to get at it at the time to pull it apart. Tink, thanks for pulling that up but I'm pretty sure Swetz has the exact picture of the assembly. So, it looks like I need to take the cable off the control spool and see if its cable or spool. I should have tried that back when I cut a hole in the floor under the seat pedastol ! Funny how it goes with these machines. As soon as you have to tare into a repair project, you can wait untill its all good again. I should have took the time to look at the cable end back then. Thanks guys, I'll put it on the list to do and get back with a how to when the time comes.
Sorry Swetz ! The service manual I have is not the right one for the op's machine. That's why serial numbers are nice to know. I have a device that attaches to an aerosol can and it will force the can contents into cables. I think they are popular with motorcylcle owners. It works quite well to lube live-well valve cables in my boat.
I would like to know where to get one of the spray can accessories
https://www.amazon.com/CABLE-LUBER-Manufacturer-678182-AD-08-0182-AD/dp/B008Y2CP3Q?crid=1HANECS3CR5DX&keywords=CABLE+LUBER&qid=1686260496&sprefix=cable+luber,aps,148&sr=8-21&linkCode=sl1&tag=stevessmall0e-20&linkId=e4d18366d832f470803a546fee5dfe66&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
I'v had one since the 70's for motorcycle cables. Problem was there was just that one cable size lube tool. Now they came out with these 3 sizes that I just saw looking this up. This is a great idea and I ordered a 3 pc set. They work exceptionally good on the correct cable end size. US Motion Cable Luber Lubing Lube Tool Brake Clutch Motorcycle ATV Dirt Bike | eBay Clutch Brake Cable Tool 1. With this convenient tool, it is easier to add cable lubricant to the cable. The dual cable design will make your cables more secure. Connect the lubricating agent tank to the clamp on the casing and wire, and inject the lubricant into the two small holes below the... www.ebay.com
I have used the ones for motorcycle cables and I still have one. However, I am looking for one large enough to handle industrial size push-pull cables. Anyone ever used anything so large or am I going to have to build one? I have some control and brake cables on a Deere 862B that need to be lubed.
Once I made a luber for a large cable from a couple of rubber hoeses and small hoes clamps. Use a hoes with an ID of the cable sleeve OD, cut it down the side. find a small hoes that fits inside the larger one like fuel line hoes on a leaf blower engine.. Slice that down its length once or twice to get a good full wrap around the cable and tuck it inside the big hoes. Drill a hole into the large hoes so a spray can tip spray pipe will fit snug in the hole. Clamp the hoeses in place with hoes clamps with the spray hole just in front of the cable sleeve. Snug the clamps to either side of the spray port and have at it with a rag around it all. If done right, you will get at least maybe half your spray into the cable. Same basic idea of the ones sold.
I've used a length of fuel hose that fits snug on the sheath. Clamp it on the sheath, fill with oil, and blow into it with an air nozzle. Worked great on a boat steering cable. Might have to start with WD40 then follow up with oil.