I needed some blades for my 3pt. tiller. They didn't have the blades I needed last year but they went from $9.70/ea. to $12.25/ea. Seemed like a pretty good jump to me when I need 42 of them. Figured I should bite the bullet and get them while they have stock and before they go up even more next year. Asked the parts guy if there's any discount buying the complete set and he gave them to me for $11.02/ea. so I saved a little over $50 with GST. I'm happy with that. I'm going to try preheating and hardfacing them so they don't wear so fast in sandy soil.
I get friends asking me if they can use my account for a discount at the local automotive supplier. Of course i say but it might cost you more . Comes from feeling gouged a lot.
They don't normally give a discount but I figured buying a complete set of blades should be a little cheaper per blade than just buying a few.
believe it or not, some things cost more on my commercial account at O'rielly Auto Parts
I worked in a welding supply that used to put prices on the shelfs. One of the outside sales guys had a conniption because the price on the shelf (where anybody could come in and buy it) was less than what he was selling large quantities to a customer for.
Mitch I haven't experienced that with my O account but I can by Rottella much cheaper on the corp account than off the shelf. Bought some last week for an oil change is was $20 a gallon retail and $17 on the account. Not a huge amount but when you're buying 4 gallons that's 12 bucks. We really save money on brake pads and rotors for our HD pickups.
Yeah, most stuff is cheaper, but they always check it both ways. Last week, 6 cans of carb cleaner and some sand paper was $4 cheaper off the shelf.
If you can or have enough equipment buy oil in bulk. Our total cost $11.81 a gallon for syn 10x30-$11.53 a gallon for 15x40.
You never know until you ask. I ask sometimes for discounts on damaged items and or items that have been sitting around the lot for a long time. It typically is returned with one of two responses; I can't believe he asked attitude and or a friendly let me check into it tone. Sometimes I can get a deal other times not so much.
You have to hammer on the vendors and find one that works for you and with you. I don't like to be a chiseler and I don't like when people chisel me, but when the vendor's only function is to buy something, stock it, mark it up, and sell it to you, they better do a good job and not get too greedy. In return I will submit accurate orders and not return stuff too much. You also need to know the owners and high level managers, don't just talk to the counter man. Even when I have thought I was small potatoes I have had vendors notice my constant stream of parts buying. So if you can establish a track record of buying stuff, then go in and say I am so and so, I operate xx business and buy your stuff for yy years, I want to work with you but your competitors are attracting me, you would be surprised how much they will listen. If they don't want to listen you may find a competitor who will. The longer you have been at it the more people you will meet and the better it becomes but you have to call or visit those who pull the strings.
You just reminded me of my old Ford dealer. I used to buy all name brand Ford components because the parts guy knew it was worth having me purchase all my components through the shop and not just visiting for the unique one off Ford stuff. I would even buy batteries, spark plugs, wires and motorcraft branded oil through the dealership parts counter. They were always a little more expensive, but not to extremes. He would sell me parts with a smaller profit margin. I think it was typically his price plus a certain percentage or dollar figure. Once he left my local dealership I have only been back once for a parts purchase and this was maybe 15 years ago. The replacement parts counter manager wanted to make all of her money in a single purchase. I stopped in bought one part. I told her the situation and how I buy all my parts here as regular when I could easily buy them at one of the general parts store. I left with my part in hand, but researched just how much she made it hurt after. It still stings. The greediness of the new parts manager encouraged me to start buying parts online. Now it's the best price on the parts it can be Amazon, Ebay or even a Ford Wholesaler selling parts online. RIP Dwayne. You were an interesting character. I always enjoyed stopping in at the parts counter to buy parts and BS a little.