Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No more coal washing.

Truckie · 2007-09-15 06:49

No more coal washing. Here are a few pictures of a coal washing plant we are demoing. The building was 120 ft tall and or 10 stories and 2 stories underground. I started on this job last Friday and this is what is left after a week. The building is all down and collapsed upon it’s self like we wanted, now we just have to sort out all the scrap and prepare it.

Replies9
  1. #1cat3202007-09-15 07:52

    just curiouse why did they level the coal washing building? no more coal operations going on in that area?

  2. #2plowking7402007-09-15 22:56

    just wondering, what it looked like before your handi work?

  3. #3surfer-joe2007-09-15 22:59

    Truckie, where was that tipple at?

  4. #4Truckie2007-09-16 06:01

    cat320 Not to sure why the left the building. I know the mine across the road shut down a good while ago. I am not sure if they depleted the mine or if the just shut it down. Right next to where we are working is a power plant. I will try to find out if it was depleted or just shut down. plowking740 Not to sure what it looked like before I started. I know the main building I showed was 120 ft tall and was the main wash station. I know the brownish orange conveyer you see next to it use to bring the coal out of the mine and then deliver it in to the wash building. The blue conveyer them transported all the unusable product back up over the mountain an delivered it to the gob pile. I know there were 2 other smaller buildings on the site but I never saw them. It kind of sucks being brought in, in a middle of a job like I was and not knowing what was there. But hey I’m just happy to be there working. Surfer Joe the building sits on state Rt 837 in New Eagle Pennsylvania. It is next to the Mitchell power plant.

  5. #5LowBoy2007-09-16 06:29

    Looks like you'll be busy for a few days as a "separationalist"... Lots 'o #1 in there...I'm jealous.:notworthy

  6. #6Truckie2007-09-16 06:42

    Yes lots of number #1 in there, but bunches and bunches of good P&S, and lots of shredder/ dirty tin material.

  7. #7surfer-joe2007-09-16 08:47

    I've driven by it then going from where I used to live in Uniontown down the river road. I worked on Gray's Landing Lock & Dam near Masontown for a year and most of the mines in that area were shut down too and that was back in 1989. We used to drive around the area and it was interesting to see all the old plants and tipples that had produced so much coal & steel for so many years.

  8. #8Truckie2007-09-25 20:21

    Up date and more pictures. Up date and more pictures. I was talking to the owner of the mine today and I came to find out once we are done and have the site cleaned up the are going to put a new coal washing plant in it's place. The reason they shut the mine down was because of the old wash plant and the ability to wash the coal and sorting of it, and the problems they were having with the leaf lickers and EPA. Once the new plant is in and running the gob’s up on top of the hill will be reprocessed and they will recover almost 50 to 55% of the gob’s. Once that is done they will reopen the mine. I even was offered a job to work on the gob pile once the new plant is up and running.

  9. #9Truckie2007-10-18 20:53

    I am bringing this back up top as I had just learned the 2 winter pictures are from www.coalcampusa.com and I want to give credit to the owner of them and his site. The pictures were sent to me from a friend and, and I was not told or informed where they came from. I am giving credit due to the photographer.