Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No Power in Boom

siganens ยท 2017-05-06 10:31

Hi All, Case 580f (French model). Have been digging clay today, not easy stuff to move, and when lifting out of the hole the boom is struggling to lift a full bucket. Power enough in bucket curl and dipper arm to fill bucket but then struggle to lift it. It is an old machine, no hydraulic leaks, hydraulic fluid recently changed when I had swing cylinder repaired. Just wondering if it could be the seals inside the boom cylinders that are gone, no external leaks and I know the pump will probably be well worn as well. Any advice appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Andy012017-05-07 21:14

    My 580c is the same way the boom struggles to lift with full 24" bucket. I would say it is the weakest circuit on my machine. The boom can hold itself up for awhile once raised. I find using dipper arm to raise bucket is faster. If I have to raise boom with full bucket I do it first when bucket is close to machine and easier to lift. Even slide bucket across the ground while raising boom untill it is closer to machine if you have to. Raise boom, raise dipper, and swing. I have trouble getting boom to lock position when machine is hot. Sorry I don't have a solution for you. My backhoe works a lot better with lighter 12" bucket.

  2. #2siganens2017-05-08 02:20

    Thanks for reply Andy01. Sounds like the same problem, I was using the 24inch bucket for the first time digging out a water pond for irrigation in solid clay, so quite a weight with a full bucket.The problem got worse as the machine got hotter that's why I thought it might be boom cylinder seals allowing the thinner hot oil to pass the pistons, the boom does creep down if left in raised position.

  3. #3xgiovannix122017-05-13 14:59

    i have the same issue with my 580c. I wanna rebuild the valve spools sometime

  4. #4siganens2017-05-14 03:41

    Hi xgiovannix, do you think the problem is in the valve spools and not in the boom cylinders. Is it a big job to rebuild valve spools, I have already rebuilt some of the cylinders on the machine but have not had any dealings with spool valves.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-05-14 09:29

    Put a pressure gauge on the pump or valve test port. Watch the match pressure at full engine speed and compare them between idle and full speed, and your boom and some other functions. The boom cylinders don't have the torque for the size of them because they are using the rod side to raise the boom

  6. #6xgiovannix122017-05-14 10:35

    I repacked all my cylinders but did not do my valves yet. I have a thumb and a quick coupler on my machine and it still goes up somewhat decent so I have not messed with it yet. Might be a winter project down the road redoing the valves . Is it easy im not sure yet but im sure I can tackle it