Hello. I have owned a JD8875 for 15yrs now. I drove her into the garage to put a set of new injectors in her. She would not start afterwards. Sounds like a simple fix, ( just bleed the lines ) but it is not!!! I recently have a new lift pump, new filters, and rebuilt injection pump on it. I bleed the lines and she will not start!! Also used ether and no response at all. Rather frustrated, put old injectors back in and no start. Yes it does turn over, and power to shut off switch. Any further advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!
It won't hit with either When its cranking is there any smoke and if so what color?
If it won’t fire on ether it’s got something other then fuel problems. Maybe a positive air shutoff tripped or rag in the intake.
The HEF receives many similar inquires related to folks working on a fuel system and then experiencing a no start condition afterwards. I’m sure it’s frustrating, especially when you don’t have a lot of experience. Most of the time, the no start is because the fuel system needs primed. Even worse if the temperature is cold or dealing with a weak battery/starting system. It needs the correct cranking speed for the magic to happen. Combine low cranking speed and either and bad things happen.
Do you have fuel leaking out around the connection on the injector when you crack a line. I have had injection pumps be weak and when new injectors are installed wont make enough pressure to pop injectors. Also when you replaced the injection pump are you sure you got it timed right. A lot of times a diesel will not fire on either alone has to have some fuel with it
Welcome to HEF, John ! If you don't have the service manual, you can read it in the following link. Unfortunately it can't be downloaded. https://issuu.com/emirpjanic/docs/john_deere_engine_wm_mar06_rev_0
When you bled the lines, was this the injector lines at the injectors? and did you get fuel squirting out of these while cranking? Did you get any smoke from the exhaust after the injectors are bled and hooked back up? Is this an old fashioned rotary injection pump? with a separate line to each injector?
Just curious why he's throwing all these fuel system parts at the machine to begin with? Like Mobiltech says if it won't even hit on ether, there's probably some other issue....How was the machine running when you drove it in for the injector swap?
Lots of in answered questions.. I’ll wait till they get answered before chiming in..
Thank you " ALLDODGE " I am a dodge owner too, ( 2 ) 2500 and ( 3 ) 1500. Restoring my 12vale frame up now. Seeking a frame for my 03 5.7l. Yes there is smoke. Had door open to garage at that time and not sure of color. Will be working on it again shortly and let you know. Thanks again!!!!
Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated!!! Not sure if there is a positive air shut off on it??? I will be removing the air intake assembly shortly, will let you know on that issue. Thanks again!!
Thank you for your reply!!! The system was primed and fuel was being released around the injector fitting. Yes it was cold and the battery has less than a year old and has been and will be on charger until issue is resolved. Thank again!!
Thank you for your reply!!! Yes i do have fuel coming out around the injectors when cracking them loose. The injection pump was rebuilt by a VERY reputable company whom my Co. deals with. I am rather sure i did it correctly. I made marks on the shaft to housing and block to pump housing. With the keyed gear that was not moved and held in place with the removal tool, I feel there were no errors in doing this. Thank again!!
Thank you for your reply!!! And thank you for welcoming me here!!! I do have a manual for it. Not much help, as was also stated from the Dealer i just returned from. Thanks again!!
Thank you for your reply!!!! Yes it was bleed first at the inlet to the IP, then at each injector fitting starting with the center one. Yes i did notice some smoke, not sure to the color as it was a windy day with the door open. I will be working on it shortly and be back it touch with the color it is displacing. The pump is a DB2. Yes separate lines to the injectors. Thanks again!!
Thank you for you reply!!! First is, it had a slight miss and got worse with increased throttle. And was smoking. I assumed after 25years and nothing being done, it was time for new and clean injectors. Second, with putting new injectors in, I will replace filters! ( just like replacing a gas fuel pump, new filter will be needed ) Third, At $50. for a new lift pump, why not, now I'm sure the basics are covered! Last, I might as well do the last thing and have the 25yr old pump cleaned and set to factor specs again. As to feel the system is now complete for another 25yrs. Would you not agree?? The machine has served me well and i wish to continue using it for another 15yrs. Thanks again!!
I edited your post down to the "pump" part of it. In your opening post you said that you put a rebuilt injection pump on it. Yes ? In your last post you are going have the old pump cleaned and re-calibrated. Are you dealing with two separate pumps ? If you had the injection pump off are you certain it is now timed correctly ?
He had the injection pump out, and sounds like it would be hard to screw it up. Only question left is any smoke? and what color? Maybe Thepumpguy has some magic? otherwise it should start, and I can't conjure why it isn't.
I’m so lost. I don’t even know who’s on third base and I’m totally sober. We got to get this thing running. Could that DB2 be 180 out?
i would check the return line and fitting from injector pump to fuel storage tank, may not letting excess fuel flow to go thur, kiss== keep it simple simon
That’s a good point. The DB2 does not like any fuel return restriction.
Well, I’m late to the party as usual
Vetech, this may be the one you've been waiting for, already on page two....On a serious note shouldn't he have at least a pop on the ether, even if he has a return blockage or weak pump? as long as the intake is free of obstruction and can breathe the ether into the cylinders it should at least catch momentarily?? J.W. stated that he got no rhythm at all after go-go juice injection.. Question is can the engine breathe? And is there compression?
Well, it’s just a standard 3 cylinder, 4 stroke, direct injected, turbo charged?......pretty base set up. I’m with TPG.....more info and a process timeline is needed.
Sorry it took awhile to get back with everyone!!! Sometimes life just gets in the way!!! I'm so grateful for everyone's help with my issue and the extremely fast responses!!!! Thank you all!!!!! Now to the answer!!!! After doing all the things said above in my post I just started to go back to the basics and common sense!!!! This all started with injectors!!! SO, I pulled them out and returned to my injection pump shop and ask them to test them. They did. 2 of them were bad and did not operate correctly. 1 was good. SO, I purchased 2 NEW, STANDINE injectors and returned home. After installation and bleeding, the motor started. It ran very rough and was blowing smoke ( black ) at every acceleration. SO, back to the shop to purchase the 3rd and final injector!!! After installation she fired right up with no misfire or excessive smoking. JUST PURRED LIKE A KITTEN!!! SO, the moral of the story shall be. DON'T BUY CHEAP AFTERMARKET INJECTORS!!!!! THEY COST MORE IN THE LONG RUN THAN THEY ARE WORTH!!!! Thank you all for you help and I look forward to spending time on this site with so many nice and helpful people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your responce!!! ALL was in time all along. If you read my new post it explains it. Thank you again!!!
Thank you for your response!!! I did check ALL lines and made sure there were no blocks!!! If you read my new post it will explain. Thank you again!!!!
Thank you for you reply!!! I agree with you on the POP. No return blockage or weak pump. The intake system was dismantled and checked for blockage, and there was no restriction at all. And yes, there is compression. I'm not sure as to why i couldn't get a response from the ether, it should have giving me some indication.... Perhaps the battery was to weak at the time, is all i can think of. If you read my new post you will see the results. Thank you again!!!
Thank you for your reply!! If you read my new post it will explain all... Thank you again!!!!
Thank you for your reply!!! I put a new LIFT pump on her and had the Injection pump rebuilt and set to specs. If you read my new post it will explain. Thank you!!!!
That is great news
You aren't the first one to get stung by buying aftermarket or rebuilt injectors, John. I had the same experience a long time ago trying to save a couple of dollars. The vendor advertised the ones I bought as "new". They didn't last 100 hours before 3 of them failed. After looking closely at the barrels of them I could see that rebuilder had etched his info on them. Thanks for posting back your thanks and good news !
I too was recently stung by cheap injectors. I am glad you have it running now. I think the reason it didn't pop on ether could have been that there was too little fuel being injected. It seems there needs to be a certain amount of diesel too or they won't fire.
A diesel engine will run on ether until the can runs dry, no fuel needed...I once watched a yard man pull a linehaul tractor with a bad ecu ( i.e. no fuel ) from under a trailer with a can of ether, another one of them dingdongs was on the hood applying the alternative fuel source...A good starter and fresh batteries will also liberate a dead truck from the trailer it's under,but I wouldn't recommend it