First post here, but I've been reading the forums for a while. Lots of good info here and I'm wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I'm considering purchasing a Massey Ferguson backhoe. Not sure the tractor model (it's one of the industrial series), with a 54a hoe on it. The swing motor/rotary cylinder seal has gone out, and the spline is badly worn. I can't find a seal kit, and if I could it would be over $1000. Crazy. But the guy is selling it at a good price considering and the rest of the machine is in good shape. So I found another guy selling a Ford 555 backhoe for parts. Front end is gone but the hoe is all there. So my question is, how easily could I put the 555 hoe on the Massey? I've done a lot of wrenching and I don't mind a bit of work, but I know absolutely nothing about these older backhoes. I don't want to get in over my head. How do they mount/disconnect? It is pretty standard across makes, or are they proprietary? I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. I've attached a picture of each machine. Thanks
Welcome to HEF, Joshua ! That is a very formidable change-over. Have you considered converting the ** rotary to a standard style swing that uses two hydraulic cylinders ? It is a very slick conversion if you have welding and oxc/acty cutting capabilities.
Thanks Tinkerer! Yes I'm starting to gather from your response and others on another forum that switching hoes may be more of a project than I want. I have considered converting from the rotary to the two-cylinder. Don't know much about it, but from your picture it looks simple enough. I do have welding and oxy-acetylene capabilities. Do you have any other details, info, pics, etc for the conversion? Thanks again.
Someone (?) has a very detailed .pdf document on the internet of the conversion. Step by step instructions, blueprints and amazingly, a detailed parts list. Download it before it disappears from the hosting website. Here ---> https://gizmoplans.com/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/810_Backhoe-Conversion-A.pdf I remember seeing a on the internet a while ago that someone was advertising a blueprint for a similar conversion. It was different tho. His conversion involved fabricating a frame to hold all the components. I'll do a little searching for it later today.
Thank you! Those are some really detailed plans. Doesn't look like that big of a job.
I think it would be an interesting and fun project.
Here is my take... It would be very doable if you were able to get the cylinders @ $80.00 each. They are not available at Surplus Center any more. So, finding a cylinder is where I see the problem. Yes, you could have them custom made, however. $ wise, that is not practical. That said, perhaps you could make a deal to get the 2 cylinders from the 555 at a good geal and modify the plans to make them fit??
That's a good point. Do you think the size of the cylinders is super critical? I can't see why they would be. He used 2.75x9.75. I saw a 3x8 trunnion on Surplus Center. Seems to me you could make anything that was close in size work.
Here is one with a slightly smaller rod. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2733207642...5302X1586325X990207b48d814a9c2486fa927ee5a60c
You could make different length work for sure, but it will change mounting and actual swing. Here is another that they have. It looks like it was originally intended as a swing cylinder for a Ford tractor, with the fittings installed, and the part number. Extra stout and cheap enough to make the swap practical. Would have to reengineer a bit though. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ion-Hydraulic-Cylinder-E8NNE579-BE-9-9699.axd
Here is another method to do the conversion. https://www.gizmoplans.com/product/...o-linear-hydraulic-cylinder-conversion-plans/
The Massey 54B backhoes used on the 30E had cylinders instead of a swing motor. Most of the other parts on a 54B are the same as on a 54A. https://www.auctiontime.com/listing...ons/online/206609499/1979-massey-ferguson-30d If you go with the 555 swing cylinders get the upper plate, and bushings as well. It might be easier to retrofit those swing cylinders in instead of ones from Surplus Center.
Just out of curiosity, how much is he selling the Massey for?