Looking at buying a 2008 New Holland W170b, noticed a sound from the center section, trans/pump area. I'm not a expert in heavy equipment, I have heard this sound on other machines and never payed much mind to it, but before I buy this machine i want to make sure it's nothing bad. Almost sounds like cavitation to me? Or sucking dry. Fluids looked clean and full through the sight glasses. This was the machine idling in neutral/park. Machine was warm at the time. Hard to explain the sound without being able to post a video. But it does somewhat pulse. Machine runs great, hydraulics seem strong and super smooth and quick, trans seems strong, shifts good pushes into a pile and scoops nicely.
We have had both a 170 newholland, and still have a case 621, don't recall a transmission noise, but they both have a rattle in the fan area. Was told it was a common noise. If you didn't know, you would think something was coming apart
This is definitely center section, I have a video but can't post it here sadly. It sounds to me like a pump sucking air or something. Just didn't have too many tools to investigate deep etc. Was a 4.5 hour drive to go check it out.
Assume your laoder got a ZF 4WG160 or so. Check position of sight glass. There should be a tube with dipstick to check oil level. Engine idling, neutral gear, oil level should be around 60 mm below center output prop shaft.