Sure they are good for dirt, holes and rocks, but curious if anybody has some non traditional, more than likely not OSHA/EMSHA approved, uses with their trackhoes. Of course pictures would be great. I was thinking that they'd work good for putting rafters up on a shop. Later AM
I've seen a crane jib retro-fitted to a quick coupler on an excavator and used to swing trusses for houses. Where I work, we have swung miles of 20' jersey barrier with wheeled and tracked excavators.
Only pics of barrier I can come up with is this link from our job, it's legit, http://www.riccellienterprises.com/fleet/flatbeds.html
Shoot, I bet that works real slick too. Nice.
Ive seen a couple turned into giant conveyor belts. Boom and counterweight removed and a long conveyor added that can move around, turn and raise up and down easily. Really cool stuff. One was on a 450 sized machine with 2 60' belts (one feeding the other). Painted up really nice, looked factory done. Moved dirt like crazy and could keep up to three excavators throwing dirt at it. I must have a pic around here somewhere.....
Used a Cat 305 to install structural steel as well as Bobcat 430. With the Cat 305 the two main beams were 20-30 ft long and a few feet off of the ground. We then place smaller cross members in every 6ft or so. Bolted everything up and placed some grating. I have used them to install short/small columns as well. Those machines are good for a project that is no higher then 10ft or so. Cheers Stew
We've got mill heads for a few different hoes, I've seen big saws, vibratory pile hammers, and drill attachments. Also seen a 325 power the dump cycle on a drum for a concrete batch plant, the fella i bought my 1085 from had a manbasket that fit the quick coupler. Sky's the limit nowadays, your imagination and shallow pockets are the only boundaries. Here's a link for a jib set-up- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...05243.57215.244696302233559&type=1&permPage=1
Non traditional eh, probably the one that makes me shake my head is watching someone drive H pile with an excavator, with one whack of the bucket at a time. :badidea
neighbors used theirs to load manure when nothing else could get at it
Either boss wasn't looking or boss had already figured some damages in on the bid. Some peoples kids:beatsme
That would come in kinda handy. I've wondered about unloading bales off the semi when fall hay hauling. A person could stack 5 or 6 high in the hay yard
When the loggers use the hydraulic chain saw attachments on the hoe, do they need to be sharpened as often as a hand held one or do they pretty much just force the chain until it just needs to be replaced? Do they operate on way more rpm's than a hand held also?
I used a Hitachi 150 to set trusses. Chained a big long beam to the bucket to get extra reach. Worked really slick. Don't have any pictures of that operation... Then some years ago we needed to change the transmission in a helicopter out in the middle of nowhere and they had this 330 Cat there that worked exceptionally well for the job! That I do have some pictures of!
Well, they make good recovery vehicles... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmNrKK87GA
i dont have any pics, but ive plowed, gotten trucks unstucks,etc
Or a rental. FYI a engineer thinks a 80k hoe will push a 18' 8" H beam in like butter.... I know after beating 10 of them in you will bend a HD demo bucket 1/2"
Just FYI... was trying to push 6" well casing in the ground for gate posts with my track loader. It would only go a few feet and stop, dropping the bucket on it didn't help much. I filled the bucket with dirt and it went in like butter.
I was referring more to "bone head" pile driving PhilDirt, watching an operator lift the bucket ten feet from the H pile, then drop the bucket on it full tilt, bouncing the machine something fierce, just to lift the bucket and do it again. Just damn.
I went fishing.....kind of.
Yeooow - How many can you do before the machine is scrap!
These are kind of unconventional..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQfY396c95w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Lv9fNMIAc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZyTuc6s6g
That first guy should have stuck his arm through the loop up to his elbow, heck even his head. Then he was sure to stay on. That looked pretty scetchy from the get go. Nothing like being impaled with a 3" branch or cracking some rocks with your back. All that probably happens way more than a person knows about. Just can't figure our why so many young folk have to be fed through a feeding tube for the rest of their lives:tong
Hmmm...long reach hoe...... thick cable on a hydraulic spool..... and go snaggin' for whale. Now there's a good you tube video thought
Hmm, all these tasks seem pretty normal to me :beatsme. I wouldn't do the pile-driving thing, but I've surely seen it done. My brother once tried the swing thing, not as a young idiot, but as a forty-something y/o shop foreman (idiot). He said before the hoe made a full turn he started screaming for the operator to stop, but the operator couldn't hear him and made several full revolutions, while on top of a 50' coal stockpile! My brother said it was the most terrifying thing he ever did, the centrifugal force was incredible! One of the more unusual things I've done: Not actually an excavator, but a hoe nonetheless, placing pipe a few miles offshore in the Atlantic ocean.
I like the life vest...for the just in case moment. If he would go over, he'd get knocked out first and then the vest would bring him up. Where's your vest mitch
Caught a 20" bass one time with a 566 koehring poured him out in the pickup and we had fish for supper
Miller, did you mean a "just in case moment", or a "just in Case moment"? You mentioning the life vest reminded me, before we left to go out to the reef, the owner of the tugboat company wanted me to remove the rops from my tractor so I wouldn't be trapped if it did go over, and director of fisheries stopped me to insist I wear my seatbelt. I refused to do either.
Check out this link: http://youtu.be/YaY5goxq-z0 Watch these Vacuum lifters- these are so cool! it takes about a minute to get through the pictures before you see the video of the units lifting. The are unreal. The use them in Fort McMurray's oil sands for loading and unloading pipe. Other uses are for lifting jersey barriers, concrete slab, - really, really neat- They will lift small diameter pipe all the way up to 72" diameter up to 44,000 lbs. sooooooo coool- I love selling these babies!
Has anyone ever used sheet pile drivers? they look like cool attachments too! I have seen guys use hoe pac's for this, but I seen demonstration videos of these. They look very cool!
Old girlfriend had about that much suction, golf ball through a garden hose,:notworthy Niffty thing as long as it works good. Till you hear a spit and a sputter of the compressor motor and you better scatter like cockroaches, cuz that baby is gonna make for a bad day
that's quite the kitty in a tree rescue unit there justafarmer. that looks awfully handy for a whole mess load of tasks. just hope the guy runnin' the controls didn't have too much coffee or a pesky sweat bee isn't harassing him.
Is that still a Ritchie Brother sticker?
bought the basket from a ritchie sale for $50. The basket is on a pivot with a disk brake so it self levels until you are in position, then you can apply the brake to lock it out. We built the jib boom.
logging, pulling an engine, mowing, snow removal{slow but worked**, splitting wood, and now I see wood processors, pulling machines out of muck.
Well,here is most impressive log splitter i have seen on excavator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=JzpsMXZLnKc
Holy G-whiskers! That thing is hopped up on crack and steroids. Must be nice to have straight trees though. That thing wouldn't work on our elm, ash and other various trees up here. It would sure make fast work in a short order. I wonder how many campfire budles it would take to pay for that thing. :drinkup
@Smartbase; Thanks for posting that, it's allways nice being teased :laughing:
360 telescopic crane arm over in uk used for rail jobs,wheeled 360 with telescopic crane arm,lifts signal gantry's and structures.
This one is what i like to call "A Diet Fork" :laugh https://www.youtube.com/tv?vq=medium#/watch?v=KJm-jYQonn8
to millercross: it´s time to start building your own splitter . Well it handled well splitting elm, birch, spruce :thumbsup
" @Smartbase; Thanks for posting that, it's allways nice being teased ing: " Yeah, it´s too sweet to be true. But i have seen one working in Finland (nearly 100 km from my home) and that "Beauty" is also made from Finnish guys!
Here´s another picture what i found in my computer, this particular machine are being used near my home, about 25 km! This attachment is called "Beat Cutter" Working field End result
I have a gooseneck made for mine and a drive motor to predrill for piles
Haha good eye there.
we use ours to clean the pool.... for lifting other diggers.... (we lifted the little one from the top to where its sitting in the 3rd photo and loaded 44 gal drums with concrete with the little digger and emptied them in a truck at the top)
I guess this is conventional work, just an unconventional machine.
Nice job "pool boy" err I mean Trent Guess you gotta make the first scoop count. Sure does stir things up a bit. Darn neighbor kids makin' a duky in the pool.
Are those big swamp tracks propelled the same as a regular excavator or do they have some sort of torque amplifier to move the extra mass. What's the length of the tracks and what sort of trailer do you gotta use to move it. Niffy outfit. That thing could crawl some wicked snow drifts up here.
The tracks have a chain and sprocket going to the rear of the track frame. I think the tracks are 38' long and 21 feet outside to outside. It will float on water. To move it, one track per trailer and a lowboy for the remainder.
How much extra weight is it compared to a regular undercarriage? Crane lifting it off only, I assume? Spendy outfit to move around, unless company owns the crane also.
yeah accidentally put a hole in the bottom of the pool so i got mad and ripped 'er out :drinkup
Well I have one that I bet nobody can top. A few years ago, a guy I used to contract to for hydraulic repairs called me on a Saturday and asked me what I was doing, he wanted to know if I knew anything about planes, I said yes that I was going for my pilots licence at the time. I rolled down to his shop, he had an old EX400LC that he had picked up at a RIchie Bros action. He had also flown out to Edmonton on a hunt for a plane prop. What he found at a scrap dealer was a 3 bladed prop from a DC3. He wanted to remove the stick from the EX400 and build a mounting frame for a couple of hydraulic motors and this prop. This fellow was smart, he had built an empire out of making compost. He had a huge operation in the city that took all of the green waste and composted it in special windrows that he had designed, he was making a fortune because the regional powers were paying him 50 bucks a ton to take the greenwaste, he would compost it for 3 months and screen it and sell it back to everyone at 20 bucks a yard. At the time he had 2 EX700's a WA800 with a custom 100 yard bucket and a bunch of dresser 500 machines to move the compost from the windrow to the screen plant. His compost piles used to get so hot that they would ignite inside. So you can imagine the steam that would come off these things when they took bucket loads off. Generally he would put one of the EX700's on the top of the pile and feed dirt into the massive buckets on the wheel loaders when they came up, with all of the steam generated he wanted to blow it away as his machine operators had had a few accidents with hitting each other. Thats where the EX400 came in with the DC3 prop. I mounted two char-lynn 10,000 hydraulic motors with drive belts to a common shaft, the prop was on the common shaft. We disconnected the bucket hydraulic lines and used that oil to power the hydraulic motors, a bungie would hold the control over to continously feed oil to the motors. This thing would blow your hat off at 50 yards, craziest thing you ever saw, but it worked. I had to install ball valves to prevent the lift cylinders from creeping down because if this thing ever hit the ground when it was running the scrapnel would have killed people. I used to have pictures but I cant find them, you used to be able to see this thing from google maps too, but I think they have moved it. I used to call it the flying excavator. Wish I could find those pictures tho. You probably dont believe me, but its got be around Vancouver somewhere.
Not only do I believe you, I've seen your creation! It was at a huge compost and topsoil facility in Richmond! In fact there may even have been 2 of them... I didn't have a digital camera back then but I remember being very intrigued by it! The lady at the scale house said it blows massive amounts of air around and I believe it! Sure wish I had a camera back then! They had some very beautiful young ladies operating some 844 deere loaders with gigantic buckets too!
Ah, love those gigantic buckets...
Ya the owner had 4 daughters, no sons, from High School on those girls would be out working at the site, they could drive every piece of equipment there, from the WA800 to the EX700 excavators. The deal was, Dad would pay for school, but the girls had to work weekends at the site. Gotta give it to them all, that place stunk, it was hard dirty work, but those girls did it. I worked there for about 5 years contracting, when we finished building the new production line I could tell the owner was getting ready to sell so I came out to Alberta, he did sell the place, Al Gore was part of the group that bought it, because it kept so much material out of the landfill and they started drawing the methane off the compost and putting that back into grid. As it was, the whole site sat on an old landfill, Lafarge had put pipes in the ground years earlier to draw out the methane and use it in thier concrete plant, when this guy took the place over, he started using that methane in his Cat 3406 Diesels that drove the huge fans that pulled air through the compost piles, cut his fuel by 80%. This guy was a farmer basically, but very very smart. Dennis Augustine is his name, still runs a few operations out there now, but not as big as the Richmond site.
Oh man, pics or even a video would be the cats pajamas! I bet some people would rubber neck when they saw that contraption. I would be one of them. Can't see a helevator just every day.
Well, this use pretty much takes the cake... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAlZ-2ncq0
That really raises the pucker factor. Definately probably takes the cake.
I built a work platform around the ditching bucket & I used it to lift materials & me for a roofing project on my house. Of course it works better when I have a separate operator...sometimes my son or my wife. I really need a remote control, hmmm....
That looks awesome! I have one for my jd2320
Looks handy, but I would have cylinder lock valves in case a hose blows while your up there.
Looks real nice like....the wood part perhaps scetchy...I'd feel a whole lot safer with steel, plus once you got your harness on and tethered to the rail and if you should happen to slip and fall you wouldn't have to worry about the 2x4 or 6 thumpin' you on the head after you hit the ground:tong
You also have the highest mobile bar b que deck in the neighborhood:drinkup
If a person could mount one of those electric or gas powered hydraulic scissor style man lifts....HO----LAY could you get some crazy reach OSHA/EMSHA approved of course
Here's a non-traditional use of two big excavators. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ujNQkyPDw
One of my machines fishing in Africa https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152686821258377
this time working as carousel... https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152692221928377&set=vb.715878376&type=3&theater
Back in the days I used our wheeled excavator to unload wrapped square bales of haylage of a trailer. Loaded them in the field with a JCB 530B tele handler with a hydraulic clamp. When the trailer was full I would unhook the clamp and leave it on the last bale on top. Made an adaptor for the excavator so that I could pick up the clamp and unload the bales at home. We used to use the excavator to repair our roof on our house too, tied a triple ladder with a couple of ropes to the bucket. I would usually sit on the bucket and my father would then maneuver the excavator to the spot were the wind had blown off some of the tiles. Laid the ladder flat on the roof and I could walk up with some new ones. Also when we build our new barn, we transformed our jib to a plate mover: