Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Northwest Engineering 25 Dragline swing lock issue

Tracy Jensen ยท 2025-10-10 14:01

Looking for some guidance... A Northwest Engineering 25 Dragline with a Detroit Diesel was left on some property my wife and I inherited. I got the 3-71 Detroit Diesel fired up (runs very smooth), however, when engaging the master clutch, it appears the dragline is stuck in right swing mode. The swing lock leaver on the left appears to be engaged/locked toward the operator and the swing /travel lever (right front) is pulled back to the operator and will not move forward. Any help would be great!

Replies6
  1. #1Tracy Jensen2025-10-10 14:04

    Two additional pictures of the Dragline

  2. #2Coaldust2025-10-10 16:47

    Lucky. Having a backyard drag line has always been a dream of mine. Welcome to the HEF!

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-10-10 16:57

    I'd bet everything is rusted and you need to free it up with lots of penetrating oil and heat. Probably need to take some things apart to clean them up too.

  4. #4JaredV2025-10-11 15:01

    I'd love to inherit something like that! Yep, first thing I'd do is make sure the control linkages are free, then the moving parts in the clutch. I can't help beyond that, though.

  5. #5Tracy Jensen2025-10-12 08:30

    Thanks all for your guidance. I downloaded the parts manual which thankfully shows all of the grease, oil and other lubrication points. I will start there and then follow up removing and cleaning up the linkages. God willing and the river don't rise, I hope to get it moving and digging by spring!

  6. #6skyking12025-10-12 11:36

    absolutely love it!