Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not so active any longer:

1693TA · 2022-02-20 23:09

We've all done it I'm sure. Destroyed, or lost a cell phone while working. Today was no exception for me from 33' up from the concrete approach to my shop. High winds of the past couple of days took two steel panels off the facia of the building so I was using the hydraulic ladder, (manlift) to remove one of the remnants which was twisted and laying over onto the roof. The other panel blew off the building sliding across the whole 100' length landing in the drive on the opposite end. Both are ripped in their mounting holes and bent/creased badly. I'll probably beat them back into shape to close the openings while replacements panels are manufactured. I had taken several photos to document for the insurance company and slipped the phone into my breast pocket. I bent down to put my cordless impact back into the case and the phone slipped out of my pocket, hit the open mesh floor of the basket, bounced and exited the basket between the uprights of the closing gate, and it's mating jamb. Down to the concrete below which was about 27 feet or so. Of course the customary "OH ****!!" was rendered, but really did no good as the phone was down for the count when I picked it up. To my surprise, the screen isn't busted but it will not power up at all. Not on battery, nor wall charger. It's a Galaxy S8 Active and it's had a good, but rough life. Being about four years old now, it's probably time for replacement regardless. Only thing I'll lose is the contacts and they may be backed up. Manlift worked flawless in all functions so am quite happy with that portion.

Replies23
  1. #1Camshawn2022-02-20 23:17

    Touch wood but for the grace of god go I. Leaned over the roof edge from the too short ladder to get the last screw and did my phone in. Cracked the case. Never dropped a phone, but did do in an ipad. Dropped it from 3’, landers on a corner and…….

  2. #2Vetech632022-02-21 07:59

    Try hitting a phone with a riding mower. The debris out the chute makes a nice colored design on the grass. I picked up as many pieces as I could, put them in a ziplock bag. When I went to get a new one, the clerk said they had never seen one destroyed that bad.

  3. #3DDoug2022-02-21 08:04

    I have a Kyocera Dura Extreme, but have not tested the impact resistance from more than 6'....

  4. #4emmett5182022-02-21 08:38

    You should have sent it in for warranty repair.

  5. #5Nige2022-02-21 09:24

    Try one of these - https://www.otterbox.com/ My current phone has outlasted 3 of these cases and still looks like brand new. That has included being dropped off machines and in one instance going down through the gratings of a process plant bouncing off steelwork for about 20ft on its way to the basement.

  6. #6Old Doug2022-02-21 09:57

    I have always liked flip phones but the last time about a month ago i got one of those portable big screen phones. It is a card phone and cost less than $50.00 . It would be ok if i didnt have to carry it around. This summer it will get carried less than any phone i have ever owned.

  7. #7John C.2022-02-21 11:23

    Still got the 6S going on 5 years. I'm waiting until they make it obsolete or it gets broken. I had the Otterbox but it killed the sound out of the phone. I couldn't understand what anyone was saying even with it turned all the way up. When the box broke up I just never replaced it. Broke the screen a couple of times when the phone slid out of my shirt pocket but at least I can understand what people are saying.

  8. #8Bumpsteer2022-02-21 23:17

    Many moons ago dad dropped his motorola flip phone....promptly ran it over with a 2k lb lawn roller. Lucky for him it was in a soft spot. Ed

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-02-22 07:49

    My iPhone 12 was in an Otterbox when I ran over it with the front tire of my 1/2 ton pick-up truck. The screen had one crack in it, but it functioned just fine. $120 for a new screen and it was as good as it was new.

  10. #10Ollie2022-02-22 10:35

    New iPhone 8 a week old. cleaning tracks on 336f hoe had phone in breast pocket fell out in front of track operator went to park up, 5 min later was looking for it get him to track back phone comes up on track with a slight bend and cracked screen saver otherwise fine only have a small case one it if it was smashed old lady would of killed me.

  11. #111693TA2022-02-23 06:29

    I need to replace my cell phone as referenced earlier. I really use it mostly as a telephone and camera. Do texting a bit and do not play games with it, nor watch videos. My daughter has a Galaxy S9 and my son has an I-phone and I suppose they have their reasons for liking them. Both take a lot of videos with their phones and are active on social networks, (I am not). I do take a lot of photos and the "smart phone" allowed me to loose the camera I carried for many years in my shirt pocket. What phone do you carry, and why do you like, or dislike it? I don't really do internet reviews as found them to be highly biased and emotionally charged concerning products so ask real users as alternative. Thanks,

  12. #12DMiller2022-02-23 07:29

    Went to the expense when got a I12 to buy the Gorilla Glass over cover for the main screen, paid for itself where it is cracked but phone is still fine. Mine has a pelican soft edge case and does well for me where still fits in the Carpenter Rule pocket on my jeans. Stays there MOST of the time, almost wish they never existed.

  13. #131693TA2022-02-23 07:46

    There have been many times I've been ready to throw that sumbitch across the street too; but it's become a necessary evil these days.

  14. #14Old Doug2022-02-23 09:33

    I got the first one when i was married after i wasnt i didnt carry it much and some times wouldnt look at it for days one time i left it in my jeep for a week. About 90% 0f the time its a pain in the butt another thing to worry about. One of my phones stopped working when it hit the ground at a high speed. I had to go get another the next day i have never spent over $50.00 on one so it was a cheap lesson in controling my temper. Some people love them but i wish i didnt need to carry it as much.

  15. #15DDoug2022-02-23 11:14

    The aforementioned Kyocera Dura Extreme with camera. Main reason was so i could actually hear calls. The website showed several features to make hearing/talking better in noisy environments. I found out from some friends that these are standard issue with linemen, police, etc. As soon as I got it, I liked it, as I could actually hear someone. A few months ago, I was standing next to a running boiler, and it rang. Instead of walking away to a quiet area, I thought "What the heck, let's give this a try". No problems taking that call, and I asked the caller if they heard allot of background noise from me, they said no, it was not very loud.

  16. #161693TA2022-02-23 20:03

    Wife and daughter settled it for me. I'm getting a replacement S8 Active again; which I did kinda like. Wife purchased the phone, daughter the armored case and additional 64G memory card so I have more room for granddaughter videos as that fills her phone quickly. Got to admit however it's kinda nice and peaceable not having the eff'n thing.....

  17. #17JD955SC2022-02-23 20:38

    I long ago ditched the flip phone for an Iphone in an otter box (get a pack of tempered glass screen protectors from Amazon, it’s the key to screen survivability) but I used to carry a Casio GZOne Boulder rugged phone. You could at one time buy refurb preowned unlocked ones on EBay for $40. I do enjoy having a smartphone especially for work stuff like taking photos and videos of issues, using a wireless $40 borescope, and I have a level app for quick calibrations of sensors. Plus being able to easily do unit conversions via google is really helpful.

  18. #18Vetech632022-02-23 22:12

    I’m having more days than not of wishing I could run a business without a phone.

  19. #19Nige2022-02-24 08:54

    My current iPhone has survived 3 Otter Boxes and still looks like new whenever I remove it to clean the case.

  20. #201693TA2022-02-24 09:16

    I've always had one of these on the phones: https://sneakypeteholsters.com/blac...00.1955221647.1645711940-108923582.1645711940 Over the past 10 years or so it's been through several phones and is still wearing quite well. Very good quality leather construction. They make great handgun holsters also. If fact a cop friend purchased mine for me.

  21. #21Old Doug2022-02-24 09:31

    My phone gets so much dust on it that is a problem for me. Nige i happen to run across OPEN ALL HOURS. Its a very funny show.

  22. #22Nige2022-02-24 12:07

    Ronnie Barker - my comedy hero. Have you come across “Porridge” yet.?

  23. #23Old Doug2022-02-25 08:36

    No but i will look it up.