Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not sure how to use float

Airedale ยท 2010-01-10 13:09

I have a Case 445 skid steer series 3. I don't understand by the description in the owners maual how to use the float position or how to get it to float? Can anyone explain? Thanks, Airedlae

Replies6
  1. #1Goose2010-01-10 15:04

    The float position is on the loader control lever. If it has CASE controls it will be on the left lever whick if you move the lever to lower the loader all the way towards your leg it should lock in that position and let the loader/bucket float with the conture of the ground. If it has ISO control pattern the float will be on the right control. Move the lever all the way forward or into the loader lower and the lever should lock to get the float to work.

  2. #2heavylift2010-01-10 15:20

    float position lets the boom move on it own. It will follow the contours of the ground. If you hit a hard object going forward or backwards the bucket will ride over the top of it. Mostly like without you noticing it. But with the bucket just on the ground you will get bounced as the whole machine has to move to ride over the hard object. You can use it forward or backward.. except the forward requires a bit of finese... I use it alot for back dragging rock when finishing a parking area. Or sand when grading sand Forward ... well it will dig a hole in a heartbeat, if you are not paying attention. works great for picking up windrows. You just have to have the bucket set NOT to cut. to get it to work just push the handle all the way forward... it should lock into float position and stay there.... unless it isn't working Don't know how a Case works but a Cat it locks in the forward position.

  3. #3Airedale2010-01-10 18:22

    Goose and heavylift: Thanks, for getting back to me. That is how my tractor loader works. But, I must be doing something wrong with the skid steer. If I understand, when the left control has the boom all the way down and I push the lever all the way left toward my leg the control should stay there and the bucket will float. I see you are both in Kansas I grew up there around the Hutchinson area. Missing the miider climate as I get older. Airedale.

  4. #4heavylift2010-01-10 18:36

    It ain't milder at the moment. Can't say on the Case ... but the Cat has a magnet type thing that holds it in place. When it quits the float doesn't hold or work.. I think it may continue to keep pushing the boom down.... I could be wrong. I think the last Case I ran was the second off the line 1835 ? I think it was an 80's model... ran good ... and that was about ten years ago

  5. #5Airedale2010-01-10 19:35

    Heavylift: I know it is colder than normal there. But, if you have never experienced a winter this far north it is impossible to understand how cold it gets. The snow will not melt until April or even May. Water lines are burried 8' or better yet 10' in the ground to keep them from freezing. The warning that is played on the TV is beep, beep,beep, bare shin freezes in 30 seconds! There are only 683,000 people living here and there is something wrong with each one or we wouldn't be here. Just kidding, I think. PS. the fun thing people do here is to take a cup full of boiling water throw it into the air and watch is freeze before it can hit the ground. Pretty cheep entertainment. LOL Airedale

  6. #6Goose2010-01-10 21:34

    Sound like you have the CASE control pattern. And yes your left lever when pulle toward your leg should lock in float. You have to got the etent to lock so you may have to give it a little more pressure after it in full lower to get it to go into the lock position. Look on the right side of the seat for a red knob which is the loader release for the pilot machine so I know for sure you dont have a pilot machine which could be another problem if it is a pilot machine.