Instead of de railing another thread, I'll start another. What is the numbering system you guys use for materials. 1s 2s 57s
In our part of VA and NC these are about the sizes that come out of our quarries and may not be 'official'. These are the products I use most: Shot Rock (unsorted, could be up to refrigerator size) Class 2 rip rap 12-18" Class 1 rip rap 8-12" Clean rock: ESC, grapefruit sized #1, just a little smaller than your fist #3, about 2-3" across #357, just slightly smaller than #3 #5, about 1.25-1.5" #57, slightly smaller than #5, about 1" #78, marble size Crusher run, 3/4"-1" down to dust #10 stone dust, just a little bigger than sand
We are lucky here. There is a large variety of materials available. Company has been around since the 40s so they own a lot of property. The older owners are pretty knowledgeable about pits that they don't own as well. That way you are never far from a good supply of shale rock. They have a couple of round rock gravel pits as well as the quarry. R5 from the quarry is like a 6 inch rock . The 5 foot rocks I was loading last winter would be like an R 2000. Everything else is just by size. They try to save as much quarry material as they can for asphalt, but inch and a quarter or three quarter minus can be a by product of making asphalt aggregate Any sand or drainage stone comes from the round rock pits. Supposed to be going to haul some stone next week. About 3 weeks until the spring weight restrictions start. Logging contractor is hauling out from close to the pit, so the road is plowed and sanded. There are 2 main bridges here on the river. The one that connects the main highway is closing April first and not opening for 9 months. All that traffic is going to be routed through town. Traffic going to be crazy. They want to get some stock piles up in locations close to upcoming pipe jobs
We use the inch system here. 1-1/2" crushed stone, 1" gravel blend, 8" ditch stone, 4" crusher run, etc. 9/16 shur-pak (crushed ledge with the fines left in so it packs nicely).
All of our rock here is crushed limestone with some being overburden that lacks the purity to be refined into higher grade lime products in the lime kilns. Most common sizes - #1's or surge stone - side plate sized rock that's very fractured and jagged #24's - Fist sized rock to golf ball size #57's - 1-3/4" washed rock #67's - 3/4-1/2" washed rock #8910 - 3/8" to dust, works great in road trench backfill 3/4" crusher run 1.5" crusher run ALDOT 825B - pug mix 1.5" crusher run Class 1 rip-rap - cantaloupe size rock Class 2 rip-rap - basketball sized and larger Class 3 rip-rap - basically small boulders Crusher run and 825B are the cheapest per ton and rip-rap is the most expensive.
What do they use for asphalt aggregate, and does limestone break down and become powder
825B is used for base material under asphalt. As far as I know for asphalt they use 47's for binder and 78's for wear/finish course. Take that with a grain of salt as we don't pave. No this limestone doesn't break down into powder. It takes a kiln, grinders and mills to turn it into lime and cement. We have many lime and cement plants in the area.
Crusher run and 825B are the cheapest per ton and rip-rap is the most expensive. This seems odd for rip-rap as it would have the least amount of processing…my opinion.
Aaaaaand you don't list 47s OR 78s in your list c'mon....
In NY it's by the inch. I never heard of 57 stone until a few years ago. 1" crusher run 2" crusher run #1 clean #2 clean
Asphalt used to be round rock but they go with 100 percent broken rock. So quarry all the way. Asphalt, 3/4 stone, 5/8 stone 1/2 stone 3/8 stone. Washed sand dirty sand still quarry. Blending sand, not quarry and very fine. Other quarry products tailings byproduct of making dirty sand. All these products are manufactured and not involved in Asphalt aggregate production. 3/4 minus packs good fairly clean good for a driveway not being paved or something being paved but prepped by hand. 1 1/4 minus. Road construction, subgrade under Asphalt Concrete. Road shouldering. Manufactured to spec. 3 inch minus subgrade under 1 1/4. Roads heavy traffic parking lots. Also manufactured to spec. 1 inch minus. Byproduct of asphalt aggregate. Has only been through the jaw and screened off. Dirty packs like concrete. Used for asphalt prep, mostly private. Can be used on a driveway not being paved, but because it contains some over burden it can get slimy on top after rain. They make an amount of railroad ballast. Kind of a 3 to 4 inch stone. Then all the Rs R5 and up.
So now I'm left wondering what 47 and 78's are? Not that it's a matters a lot, but I can either read this or watch framers and sprinkler installers fight to the death. I'm usually dealing with rock in the context of landscape boulders - from "too big to lift" vs " we can lift it, but not very far away". What's a 90,000 lb rock qualify as?
Are those metric inches or US inches? It's interesting how some areas call it stone and other areas rock. Seems like the south and west US call it rock, here in the NE we call it stone. Sounds like stone is the term in your area also. That being said, individual pieces can be called rocks around here. But if you say "rock" that is a singular term, or a music genre.
A sex rock. BTW, how big is a 90k pound rock??
I've been trying to picture that as well
Inches. All the government contracts are in millimeters. The surveyors do everything in metric, but they have worked with me enough to do the conversion. One of the techs showed up at a job to give me some grades. He had left his rod behind so I dug out mine in feet and inches. He was like is that an antique
Just a little bigger than a 80000 lb rock
Rock is around 160 to 165 lbs per cubic ft. I used my rock splitter in a local pit to break down some boulders that two 982 loaders couldn't move out of the way for feeding the crusher. 12x12x 10 foot boulders broken down to 4 foot pieces. The rock tested at 18 to 20 k psi, hammers don't do well on that
47's - think 1.5" crusher run with no fines. 78's think black eyed peas. At the Amphitheater project we did last year the spec was 78's under the artificial turf. 90K lb rock - A BFR duh!
What is black eyed peas? I think maybe punk. Aren't we talking about rock?
78's are a little larger but it was the closest thing I could think of. BTW I see what you did there...
Somewhere between a old VW beetle and a square body chevy Blazer. Roughly. Funny thing about rocks, they aren't really ever nice and square to get a good measurement on. And invariably, there's more rock below the ground, than sticking above, when they go to dig one out. Seems to make a big difference what kind of rock it is also. Some types of rock weighs a lot more than other types.
Exactly.
This thread reminds me of a SNL sketch a few years ago:
78's round here would be called pea gravel then. I hear some YouTubers talk about 57's we have 1/4 minus =dust 3/4 clean AB3 =3/4 clean mixed with dust 3 minus 3-4inch 5-6 in. I have never heard the number you posted in your earlier post in these parts the dirt guys on my last project they are about 3 hours east of us and they do primarily municipal and state work they had some different names for 3/4 clean and AB3 but I can remember what they were
Pea stone here is the stuff they use around a playground. Small round rock no fines. It's screened and washed. We have an Ortner i think it's called for a wash plant. It washes the sand for the asphalt plant and the pea stone
Maybe not, depending on the rock.....
I'm genuinely curious, you said 47s for asphalt binder? How does that work?
Yep. Here they are moving away from pea gravel and using rubber mulch. The pour in place surface guys mix pea gravel with epoxy it is expensive but looks pretty cool. I hauled a bunch out of one last year, called to see if I could recycle it and they said we don't take it we sell it, just curious how much is it, $56/ton, I took it home, I will find a use for it
1.5" to 3/4" sized rock with the other sizes in between. Cheaper than wear course here.
I'm still confused on the concept of 1.5" rock and and asphalt road, in any capacity besides subgrade work.
The asphalt binder is above the dense graded base then a wear course of 1-2". Pretty standard here -
The clean gravel names/numbers that CM1995 and myself posted are named based on screen size. This is a fairly common numbering system in the southeast. #1 screen being quite large, about 3-4" holes, #5 being maybe 1-1.5" holes, and so on. #8, 9, and 10 are very fine. I'm not exactly sure where the nomenclature for the two or three number sizes comes from, but it's always smaller than the first number, I guess they are in-between sizes. So #57 is just slightly smaller than #5, #357 is just a little smaller than #3, #78 is smaller than #7, etc All that being said, it's just a rough measurement and some quarries fudge a little on size, especially on the bigger stuff.
So would binder be the same as base asphalt. Here for roads or heavy traffic areas you would do 1 or 2 lifts of a heavier rocky base asphalt, then a top coat of a seal mix. In my mind, binder is part of the liquid asphalt.
Yeah the fudge on the sizes from one Vulcan quarry to the next one 10 miles away. Also I think it has to do with how worn the screens are. Correct. Here it's called binder. The liquid asphalt is called tack. Standard commercial drives, roads and parking lots are usually - Standard duty paving is usually 6:2:1 Heavy duty paving is usually 8:2.5:1.5 The detail I posted above is an odd ball hybrid I screen shot off a set of plans I had open. Here's a typical standard duty paving detail for light duty commercial and residential streets for our area -
For new construction highway. After the sub grade, mostly a sandstone shale rock, tramped and rolled, then 2 9 inches lifts of 3 inch minus then 6 inches of 1 1/4 minus. Single lift of a base asphalt. Then what we call tac is a heated tar like liquid sprayed before the second lift of base. The lifts are 2 inches rolled. No idea of the mix. Dirty sand, washed sand, blending sand. Sized stone liquid asphalt. Actually another product we sell is plant reject. Our plant is old, if you want to change product you have to clean out whatever aggregate is left in the plant Asphalt without liquid. In the fall, when you warm up the plant. Some stuff gets dumped. If you are doing a government paving job, the pavement has to flow continuously. If there is a break in the trucks, and he has to stop the plant, whatever is in the mixer is dumped. Something to do with keeping the temperature up. Anyway you get a pretty good pile of this stuff. It has been through the burner so it's super dry. If I have a soft hole in a driveway and can't get shale, I'll get that stuff. Works well over cloth, then top up with 1 inch minus Off topic anyway another spray of tac then an inch an a half of seal asphalt. Finer mix less rock.
I'll have to see if there are any details in this baby. Good bedtime reading
Oh yeah ALDOT spec's are a whole 'nuther animal. They are currently widening I-65. Drove through last week and it appears to be a 3' so build up of stone and asphalt courses. Crazy.
I65 south of BHAM is a mess. Headed through there on Tuesday with another load to the new house.