Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd question but what peice of machinery/equipment is most in demand?

Comrade24 ยท 2012-08-07 02:07

Ok so before I ask, I want it to be known, I AM NOT SELLING OR PROMOTING ANYTHING!! I'm simply asking a question from you people who know this field a lot better than me....and I hope this does not go against forum rules.. but here it goes: For a while, over the past year I have been going to a heavy machinery auction and buying forkilifts, and I have been re-selling them to make some extra money. My step dad has special permission to bid at such auction, so I go with him so he can bid on the stuff for me.. But lately, for the next coming up auction, I want to buy something more pricey, because forklifts are pretty cheap.. This place has EVERYTHING from Excavators, to dozers, to dump trucks, to Boom trucks, compactors, concrete mixers, cranes, water trucks, basically everything... I was just wondering(and hoping its ok to ask) which piece of equipment is most in demand and will be easiest to sell? I live in Socal and I dont know if it varies from state to state. I mainly sell by putting this stuff on Ebay, Craigslist, and Machinery trader and having been having success, but like I said I want to move to something more pricey rather then forkilfts.. thank you

Replies6
  1. #1rabia2012-08-07 03:18

    In my point of view every piece of equipment has its own importance. It all depends upon one's need. Every one will demand according to their own need. To buy piece of equipment one does not need, is useless. So this game is all about need and demand.

  2. #2da'yoop2012-08-07 09:38

    This is just an opinion and not based on any extensive knowledge of equipment sales....I would think that if you're selling on ebay and craigslist you are going to get a lot of small business's and homeowners. Small dozers, and backhoes probably sell to a wide range of customers. If you get into big equipment, you are just selling to the excavating companies.

  3. #3buckfever2012-08-07 18:04

    Like da'yoop said I think staying in the mini ex and skidloader market would be your best bet. So many trades use these machines that you will have a very wide market to sell to. Also look at what is going on in your local area. If you have a lot of farms in your area might want to try a small dozer or track loader. But otherwise try a skidloader. Almost anyone could find a use for a skidloader at the right price.

  4. #4stumpjumper832012-08-07 20:48

    skidsteers, mini excavators and backhoes. also if your buying selling or trading tracked machines, learn how to do at least a simple eval of an undercarriage to tell if its totally or partially worn out or just needs attention.

  5. #5Comrade242012-08-07 21:20

    thank you for all your replies guys, I appreciate it only question about the skidsteers is, does the attachment it comes with matter when your selling? because I know those things have a TON of attachments

  6. #6AlloaExcavating2012-08-07 21:34

    sell attachments separate for extra money. just sell the machine with the bucket