Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil for cat 955l

Xaris · 2016-02-11 10:12

Hello. Can i put the 20w 50 in the motor ? Sorry but i dont speak the language goood.

Replies10
  1. #1Dickjr.2016-02-11 20:42

    I think when these machines were built the oil of choice was 30W. I never really heard of anyone running 20W50 unless its a real hot climate. Typically 15W40 is what most people run which covers a wide range of temperatures. And it gets very thick in colder weather.

  2. #2Nige2016-02-12 03:12

    Greece gets pretty hot in summer but quite cold in winter, it depends whereabouts in the country you are. If it was me I'd be running a 15W40 or even 10W30 API CH-4 spec oil as a minimum requirement. IMHO 20W50 is a tad too heavy for cold starts in winter when the ambient temperature is around or below freezing point.

  3. #3Xaris2016-02-12 07:50

    I'm afraid for the oil piston ring. Maybe a 15w 40 pass easy inside the combustion chamber and i'll have increase οf consumption oil. Here in Athens rare has temperature below freezing point. Thanks.

  4. #4Xaris2016-02-12 08:17

    Ηere a photo of my cat.

  5. #5Nige2016-02-12 10:54

    Old wives' tale. All the slightly lower viscosity oil will do is improve cranking speed when the engine is cold.

  6. #6ITAMECH612016-02-26 19:56

    hi Xaris you can use a multy grade oil sae 20w50 with trust the part of oil 20w the w means winter

  7. #7gpap1232017-07-26 16:17

    I use 15/40 in my 955 and runs good at all. Also Greece!

  8. #8DMiller2017-07-26 18:19

    All 15W40 means is a 15 weight oil that behaves as a 40 weight oil at higher temperatures. W is just for weight.

  9. #9Welder Dave2017-07-28 20:15

    Actually the W stands for winter (viscosity when cold) not weight. It was even a question on one of the TV quiz shows.

  10. #10DMiller2017-07-28 20:35

    Hmmm, not per the oil distributors I've used for years!! But I have been wrong before. The W on straight oils and gear lube is Weight, only the multi weight oils the W stands for Winter. http://www.lardoil.com/Data/Sites/16/pdf/lard-oil-tipoftheweek-multi-grade-oils.pdf