I know some guys who pour their waste oil on the track chains. Anyone have an opinion on wheather this is good, bad, or just a waste of time?
#1 Don't let your version of DEP catch you. For some reason I don't think that they would be impressed. Secondly, It might just attract dust and dirt, which in turn could cause more wear than just leaving them dry, but I dunno.
I wouldn't do it... it's totally unnecesary, track chains probably wear even more with the oil collecting abrassives.
Dont waste the oil, burn it in a shop heater instead. On the other hand, some diesel on the tracks has been used in winter to keep mud from freezing to the track frames.
If you are talking about old flat pad cranes with chain drives, then that's where we recommended it. Those old drive chains were not much different than a motorcycle chain, only a lot bigger. If you are talking about dozer or excavator links, then don't waste your time. They are sealed and the oil will not get into the links unless they are spread and worn out already.
if their sqweeling that bad their might be a bigger problem than just noise. check yer rails that they are not draggin on somthing. try a track addjustment. they will always make noise. i use water sometimes if their gettin anoying. its temporary releif . i think cat tracks are the worst
Correct, top advice, listen to this man.