Can anybody interpret this oil sample? The engine is a JD 4045 in a chipper, 2006 build date, 3200 hours on the clock. This is an unknown machine, possible purchase. I don't know if I would be too confident of the hour meter either. date of analysis Jun 30, 2026 Silicon 0.4 PPM Tin 4.83 PPM Silver 0 PPM Aluminum 2.26 PPM Chromium 0.45 PPM Lead 4.47 PPM Copper 1.11 PPM Nickel 1.05 PPM Iron 65.81 PPM Glycol NEG Water NEG Fuel <5%
How many operating hours on the oil that was sampled.? That makes a big difference.
I don't know, and there is no way to find out. It's an auction piece.
That being the case I don’t see much possibility of making any sort of accurate interpretation.
I guess the biggest concern would be if something was very noticeably wrong with the sample like full of antifreeze or way too high PPM levels. Did the oil look pretty new and not black yet like it was just changed or was it pretty black? Any date or hours written on the filter?
Was there a set of high or low specifications on the oil sample report? I see higher levels of lead, tin, aluminum, copper and iron which might be an indication of main and rod bearing wear and possibly crankshaft wear. My first thought when I looked at the list was extended oil change intervals if the stated hours are correct. A look at the rest of the components of the machine might give you a better read on past maintenance practices, Rotating drum and bits, drive belts and conveyers would be a particular concern.
One sample, with out a laundry list of previous samples, nothing to compare.
I appreciate the input, I don't know anything about oil analysis; the auction listing had the sample report, and I really have no idea what those numbers mean. Chances are an older chipper in an auction hasn't been maintained particularly well and the oil has plenty of time on it, but that could be anybody's guess.
How does the rest of it look? I'm not sure a chipper can get abused the same way some other equipment can. 3200 hours isn't a lot so maybe it's in decent shape?
Actually, quite the opposite; chippers often take incredible abuse and neglect, especially smaller units. Running at 100% load and beyond continuously, running hot because the cooling packages are all plugged up with dust and chips, and most of all, often being run by laborers who don't care and wouldn't have a clue if they did.
Anything can be abused. Looking over a chipper should give some clues. I was thinking a chipper doesn't have a transmission, swing gear or other components that can be abused. Can still be abused but not as many components to abuse. I would think chipper operators would be well trained because it's a dangerous machine. Employer could be in a heap of trouble if someone were injured or worse due to lack of training or not having an experienced supervisor. Anytime I've seen chippers being used the people feeding them looked to be working safely and not just throwing everything in at once. They would wait for one batch to go through before feeding more trees into it. Some chippers have auto feed and most have a safety bar that stops them if a person hits it. I've seen a new large chipper throw a piece of wood back out because it was too big and/or the chipper wasn't running fast enough. It was during a pre delivery inspection and one of the people had never seen a chipper operate. I think it was only about 3/4 throttle at the most. Chippers have a pretty good whine at full RPM!