We have a Galion T600B grader that we use to do firebreaks, and roads on our cattle station(youall over in the US would call it a ranch) Its not very big by local standards, only half a million acres... So, we do a bit of grading,but only for ourselves, the C180 Cummins has developed a nasty habit if burning about 20litres(4gallons) of oil a day, We consider this excessive,the engine is not leaking, or blowing smoke, just a little black smoke under load, nothing excessive,We would accept a litre or two, but this is ridiculous! We put new seals in the supercharger, it isnt leaking there anymore, it made very little difference. Can anyone help? the oil seems to be going into another dimension or something! Failing a fix, does anyone know of aT600B with any engine except a Cseries We havent been able to. will anything else bolt up to the Clark powershift(without major mods) Any advice welcome
oil consumption Im not familiar with a C180, but the systems on older engines are about the same. That much oil the exhaust should be full of oil and blowing it out 1. is the intake and exhaust side of the turbo full of oil? 2. have you checked all the engine vents and air filter 3. make sure the turbo oil drain line is not stopped up, it will put excess pressure on the turbo seals I had a engine doing the same thing, it ended up being the turbo. It was a rebuilt turbo and they had messed up rebuilding it. I installed a factory rebuilt turbo and everything was OK. Not everyone can rebuild a turbo. I had another engine in a truck I bought and it blowed oil out of the exhaust, it ended up being worn out and I had to rebuild the engine Good Luck and keep us posted
supercharger The engine is supercharged, the C175 was the turbo model,there is no trace of oil in the crossover pipe since we replaced the seals. The breather is clear and breathing fairly hard, with some oil present, we put a catcher on it and got about half a litre for the day, about what you would expect, thanks for the ideas, keep them coming... regards, goodwin.
Sounds a lot like my Galion 104. The serial # is located on the sheet metal below the bench seat on a tag just to the right of center. The first part is the model # followed by a single alpha to designate the engine, ie "C" is for Cummins, followed by a sequential number. that tag is very similar to the tag you found up by the steering shaft bearing. I could use some advice on pulling the hubs so I can do a brake job on mine.
goodwin, have u checked the radiator. If there is an oily film in the antifreeze, you could have an oil cooler that is leaking. check the coolant overflow tube for signs of oil. I dont know much about the T600's but there may be a hydralic cooler that is tied into the engine also. Just a thought.
Alwaysbusted, the rear hubs are on a tapered shaft with keyway,just undo the nut, and get a big hydraulic puller, we used a 50ton, with oxy heat on the hub to finish off,the counterweights are really heavy, do not squash thyself! Biggrader, the tranny cooler is mounted alongside the radiator, and there is no oil inthe radiator iether, the oil has to be getting burnt, the sheer volume we have poured into it, you would find any leak, the funny thing is ,the exhaust is not that smoky, and there is no oil coming out, you would expect great gouts of it , it has been suggested that the valve stem seals could be at fault,does anyone have experience there? we are starting to look seriously at throwing the engine.....
I have a C180 in a 1963 REO dump truck. had to put new liners in it and when finished found the air compressor sucking oil into the air system. replaced the rings cured it. Ran for several years after then broke the crank between the injector pump and compressor. motor runs great but compressor don't. Still have it and also not been used. I also have a 170 HP turbo version sitting in the corner of the shop. Not been used. could take measurements for you if needed.
Dwan, the engines you mentioned, is the 170hp a C175? could you please post a few pics of both, particularly the broken crank between fuel pump, and compressor. the clark powershift arrangement bolts directly to the end of the crank, it runs a flex plate, no flywheel, if they are a c series it should bolt straight up! the other thing is, do you have a shipping agent that freights down under that i could get a rough quote for sea freight? regards, Goodwin
If I remember right they are both "C" series motors. the 170 hp is turbo charged and the 180 hp is supercharged. It has been 20 or 25 years ago sence I looked into eather of them. Not sure it would be something worth sending across the big pond but could be done. It is dark now and I will take pictures of both motors soon as I get a chance. the 180 hp motor is still in the truck and runs. just the aircompresure has been removed and the compreasure crank is still hanging off the back of the injector pump. I was going to put the injector pump/ compreasuer assembly off the 170 onto the 180 but found out the drive gears were differant so I left it set removed ontop of the 170 motor. (it is still all there just not installed). I will know more tomarrow.
Actually, Cummins made several variants of the C series. We had a '62 White 4000 that had a naturally aspirated C160. Liners went down, found a later model natural aspirated C180 that fit right in there. Just looking at the engines, couldn't tell the difference in them
Check the Torque converter and make sure the oil in there is clean. If you are losing that much oil and there is no apparent leaking, then I would suspect the rear main seal.
Thanks for the thought, puffie, sadly the tranny oil is clean,bright red, and stays at the correct level... Atcoequip, Do you think the 180 you referred to had more power than the 160 it replaced,or not, it may have had 160 manifolds fitted to get rid of thesupercharger, making it a 160 with 180 plates,something i have considered before finding enough parts to rebuild mine. the reason i ask is that i was told by an old cummins guru that the 160 was naturally aspirated, 175 turbod, 180 supercharged, all same core engine, this is certainly true with the two that i have,175, and 180, we have swapped a lot of parts at different times, including fuel pump, valves, injectors,oil pump, flywheel, bell housing, sump,havent found a bit that doesnt fit...yet!
Didn't notice a big diff in power between the 160 and 180 goodwin, as they were both naturaly aspirated, and driving a tandem straight truck with a boom truck boom on it, with a Fuller 5 x 4 tranny set up. She was a dragonfly...drag up one side of a hill and fly down the other side. LoL. I will say this, aside from a 6-71 Detroit, that C series natural aspirated was one of the best sounding engines I've ever heard pegged out on the governor while grading a hill.
those iron lung cummins with the back drop manifold were the conductor for the symphony to the worlds destruction. An awesome racket that couldn't be matched.
LoL, I agree Dualie. The 5.9 B series with straight exhaust comes eerily close...but not really able to hit that spot. The C series pegged out was a helluva sound.
hi there. I'm in northern California and have a Detroit 6-71 powered T600B use on ranch for roads etc. Bolts up to Clark powershift unit nicely. I also have several zero time crated military overhauled cummins NHC-250 engines available for export if that helps. Overhaul was done by Toole Army Depot in Utah. My price is right. NHC-250 comes out of 800 series five ton army truck etc. They are a great old normally aspirated 250 hp, 855 cubic inch cummins diesel. Hope that is helpful. Let me know if you want a price. I think we can put a drained non-hazmat Cummins in an LD-11 container and airfreight it thereon Quantas for not a whole lot of money if it goes standby. (well, if TSA lets us)
keen on the repower HI Toddo, Yes we still need to sort out the T600 b, and we would be interested in one of the exmilitary nhc 250s( I came up with the idea myself recently) either that or a 671n 2stroke, the t600 is just too strong a grader to let die! I recently had a go with a JD670b, found it to be gutless by comparison. the freight idea sounds interesting...can you check sea freight as well to compare prices? we are in western australia,and road freight from the eastern states is very expensive so freight to Darwin, or Perth would be the go...they are the nearest cities, 2000km each way! email us with the details,at ; [email protected] P.S. tell us about ranching over there, we run about 3000 brahmans on 180 000ha we are still developing, and will run about 8-10 000 once developed, but weve still a way to go, only using about 40% of the land at the moment, (Drilling for water, and fencing is the main development cost) i am currently cutting a 90kmfenceline