Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old D7 coolant system pressure??

fastline ยท 2021-12-21 21:23

Working on my old D7, E model. I am working through some cooling system pressure tests but now I am not quite sure I should pressure up to 15psi. at only a few psi, I blew out what I believe to be the pressure relief cap at the center top of the radiator. I took it apart and does seem to be a spring loaded device, but the book calls it a "thermostat". Clearly vents to atmosphere though. Do these old birds run a typical 14psi system, or less?

Replies5
  1. #1Coaldust2021-12-21 21:41

    6psi is what my cheat sheet says.

  2. #2fastline2021-12-21 21:49

    LOL. So I have more than doubled operating pressure in testing. ****. At least I confirmed the radiator seems good.

  3. #3Bluox2021-12-21 22:47

    Not quite, valve should open at 10 PSI pressure and 2.5 PSI vacuum . Cat called it a sealed pressure overflow valve. Bob

  4. #4fastline2021-12-21 23:14

    I'd say it probably initially popped at that, but afterwards kept leaking so I plugged that port. Most testing was done to about 10psi but I did take it to 15psi once. I am trying to vet the cooling system anyway. I will hold at 10psi for test. I found a precup cap leaking by the Oring so now dealing with that. I've looked at the Oring situation in there but there is just no way I caused that as that seal should hold 100psi or more easily.

  5. #5kshansen2021-12-22 07:43

    Are you talking about the part with five bolts holding it on top of radiator? That is what cat used for years as a pressure relief instead of a pressure cap on the radiator. I always kept a spare in stock with two gaskets and new bolts. Some had stainless steel bolts but if not they could be a bitch to get out. If it has kept leaking even at the lower pressure it means it is not working and needs to be replaced.