Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Mining Shovel

mg2361 ยท 2019-06-10 05:13

My wife and I were out on an 8 mile hike in Penn's woods yesterday and when we got up the mountain at about 1400 feet of elevation we came across this. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the brand shovel this is? Sorry for the poor quality picture...I'm still on a flip phone....LOL

Replies8
  1. #1td14steve2019-06-10 05:55

    Looks like it could be a General. There's one preserved at an antique tractor and engine club near me. Steve

  2. #2td14steve2019-06-10 05:58

    Google general shovel and there is pics and an article on the very same machine. Steve

  3. #3mg23612019-06-10 06:02

    Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.....LOL ! I thought this would have been a little more challenging. Would you by chance know what brand engine was in this beast? I could not make out the writing on the casting do to corrosion and my flip phone could not capture a good picture. It is a flat head with two cylinder heads..inline.

  4. #4mg23612019-06-10 06:11

    What's the name of the club?

  5. #5mg23612019-06-10 06:22

    Look at that...LOL....that's the hike we did. http://www.stonyvalley.com/general.html

  6. #6td14steve2019-06-10 16:02

    hudson valley old time power association in hudson, ny.

  7. #7mg23612019-06-10 18:37

    Thank you Steve . I will look them up the next time I'm up that way. Unfortunately their website didn't have any pictures of it .

  8. #8Theweldor2019-06-10 19:48

    I realize you would have to hire it done, but what if you put that on a beam trailer and maybe just pulled the gantry.