Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old photos

Scrub Puller ยท 2015-02-10 01:16

Yair . . . Some oldies turned up in a mates shoebox in the bottom of a wardrobe . . . a test post here as I am coming to grips with a new computer running Windows 8 point something. All our phones and computers and the local cell-phone tower got fried by a massive electrical storm we have been off-line for about a fortnight . . . and the best part of a thousand bucks poorer which is the part that really hurts. Pictures not the best quality but some folks may find them of interest. I have posted similar before but I think this is a separate incident, it was not uncommon. The truck is our NR Mack repowered with a 6-71 with an unbaffled oxy bottle for a muffler, bloody near bought tears to my eyes when I saw that picture after nearly fifty years, looks like shes just getting wound up there and I can still hear that GM wail. Cheers.

Replies13
  1. #1mitch5042015-02-10 01:45

    Thanks for the pics as always Scrub. I have driven a few B models, many, many, R models, and have had CH Macks for the last 15 yrs, until I bought my first Volvo this October, But I've never seen an NR model. I wonder if they sold them here in the states? I am very fond of the 6-71s, and the Macks, but crossbreeding them seems to verge on sacrilege.

  2. #2Garrie Denny2015-02-10 02:01

    Top old pics Scrub, did the bank collapse on that one nearly on its side ? Also don't you have fusion policy on your insurance ? If yes that should have covered your dilemma,regards GD

  3. #3chevy432015-02-10 02:11

    Pretty sure that NR model is WW2 military surplus (note the military standard brush guard). Great pictures! How did the Dozer (TD-18?) end up in the hole?

  4. #4RonG2015-02-10 06:17

    I am still grieving over the end of an era with the demise of the old two strokes,it seems as though the new generation will miss out on the endearment that we felt for them,even the two cylinder trash pumps and generators had a sound of their own that stays with us forever.Thanks for the pics,these are the things that get the blood flowing for this old timer.Ron G

  5. #5td25c2015-02-10 07:23

    Cool photos Scrub Puller . Those look like Allis Chalmers HD 21's . I am also fond of the 71 series Detroit's .

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-02-10 10:25

    Great pictures Scrub Puller. I get to hear the old Detroit's scream most days still in my hobby logging. I still love it.

  7. #7chevy432015-02-10 12:00

    Somebody got some welding time building those canopy's! Are those tree pushers on the front? If they are I'm surprised they don't have a bit of a "V" or something to wrap around the trunk of the tree.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2015-02-10 14:51

    Yair . . . Thanks for response fellas . . . it is always nice to realise that this old time stuff is still of interest. Garrie Denny . Yeah mate we do have the fusion clause in the policy but we run a six hundred dollar excess to keep the premiums down and the whole claim would have been messy . . . that is to say hundred odd bucks for the phones, six fifty for the lap top, couple of hundred for data transfer. It seemed best not to stuff up our forty years of no claim bonus. The tractor fell into the erosion gully when pulling at night . . . they are very hard to see with the lights in heavy dust, or when you are half asleep. td25c . Exactly right, HD21s, two speed stick-shift with dry clutches and fuel torque converter. chevy43 . All our canopies were built so that timber coming down was not a consideration. The design evolved over the years and there are photos on here of our later tractors with angular flat topped canopies with no mesh. This was a far better design as timber tended to break when it hit the corners and there was less maintenance, we were always up there welding mesh. Yes they are tree pushers. That style was light and effective and could be dropped off quickly by knocking out two pins. Pushers work fine with no need for any wrap around and in our application the idea was just to lean the tree and leave it for the chain any wrap around would have made it difficult to slide off. In this respect the full width style on the tractor on the float was better to operate . . . if you look closely the tractor has a "v" blade . . . but they were pretty heavy and hard on idlers. These tractors seldom saw reverse and the work was full throttle in a gear that I think could wind up to three and a half or four MPH with light load so on a good day they could travel nearly fifty miles which obviously takes its toll on track components and the less weight hanging out front the better. I believe the NR was a US Military designation and they were fairly common here in the '50's-60's. They had canvas tops, left hand drive, with a 145 HP 'Lanova' diesel. The GM was a popular conversion and when the boss had the engine fitted they converted to RH drive and fashioned a metal cab . . . no windows just half doors. They had two sticks, a five speed and a splitter and were easier to shift with the responsive Jimmy. Fifth was an overdrive and fourth high was a higher ratio than fifth low so the first shift down was out of fifth high into fourth high and two stick it down from there. Cheers.

  9. #9Cam852015-04-05 01:38

    Just got back been pushing bloody buhienua with a d7h series 2 it was a battel of will I tell ya with that tractor determined not to work and me even more determined to make it pay it's way !!!!. Any way awesome picks scrub the first thing I noticed was the cabel blade now that's doin it tough I also c the mesh on the canopies a bit dented those old tractors have obvisually seen some heavy timber. I bet the bloke in the seat got a fright ( big grin ) The old Mack wow my personal experience only goes back ad far as r model. Sounds like u copped some damage at home was it the edge of the cyclone that hit Rocky. I came back through Rocky to meet a bloke by the name of mike Barlow and seen a bit of damage around the place. I trust all is well. Regards Cam 85

  10. #10brucew2015-04-10 02:54

    Correct me if I am wrong Scrub but they look like two of Bruce Rhoades machines the dozers that is and I presume possibily the truck as well. Whereabouts was the dozer tipped on its side it appears to be open box country so I thought maybe around Roma somewhere.

  11. #11Scrub Puller2015-04-10 05:48

    Yair . . . brucew . . . You must be an old timer too mate if you remember those old girls. (Big grin) Cheers.

  12. #12maddog2015-04-10 07:42

    thanks for sharing. The things that gone done back in the day with out all the fancy kizmos

  13. #13brucew2015-04-10 17:32

    Yes I definitely am in that age catergory scrub I knew he had Hd21's I didnt realize he ended up with D9g's although it does not surprise me as they seemed to be the only machines of that time that could handle scrub pulling particulary in central Qld in that era.