Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Shovel

Geekay ยท 2008-01-07 06:21

Identifying old excavator Hi there, I'm new to the heavy equipment topic and was after some advice on a derelict piece of heavy equipment I came across in country Australia when camping recently. Photo attached (I hope). From my searching on the net it may be a late 1940's vintage Northwest crawler excavator/shovel. Hoping someone may be able to help out. Cheers, George Krooglik Albury, New South Wales Australia 7th December, 2008

Replies19
  1. #1Squizzy246B2008-01-07 06:58

    Geekay, Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. I moved your post here to "Old Iron" where it might get more attention. Someone has posted a picture of an old digger similar to yours before but not quite the same. I was trying to make out the writing on the tail of that shovel but its difficult to make out....I'm sure its not P&H...thats about all.

  2. #2Buckethead2008-01-07 08:28

    It's definitely a Northwest. :drinkup

  3. #3Eric2008-01-07 09:33

    Great find, I love old Iron like that. Got more photos?

  4. #4Countryboy2008-01-07 23:02

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Geekay! :drinkup

  5. #5surfer-joe2008-01-08 18:08

    Sure looks like a Northwest logo at the rear.

  6. #6bobcat ron2008-01-08 18:42

    Awww, that poor shovel, it should me moved to a museum or something, or even a play ground.

  7. #7Northart2008-01-09 03:19

    Northwest ? Hard to find Northwest info. Here's one anyway.

  8. #8Northart2008-01-09 09:19

    Northwest Shovel 2 Found this in the HEF archives posted 2-20-06 by Farmerted

  9. #9EZ TRBO2008-01-09 09:49

    Few more for yall Here are the two shovels we used to have. First was a universal, the second an American. Trbo first 2 are crushing lime in the 80's 3rd pic is of the American 4th is the Universal

  10. #10Eric2008-01-09 22:46

    That is good stuff! My how the times have changed!

  11. #11Geekay2008-01-17 08:02

    Thanks for the assistance to ID old excavator Hi and thanks to everybody who responded to my request to identify what turns out to be an old Northwest crawler shovel from the 1940's. I really appreciate seeing some pictures of what the old girl looked like in its heyday. Yep, it's a shame it's become a rusting relic in the bushland despite its contribution to the history and development of the area. Here are are few more photos I took of it, for general information. Many thanks again, Regards, George Krooglik Australia 17th January, 2008

  12. #12qball2008-01-18 23:17

    looks like a #6 or #25

  13. #13Insley52008-01-22 18:56

    Another Old Shovel I found an old shovel here in Arizona. I will create a new thread for it as soon as I post enough replies and the system allows me to.

  14. #14Insley52008-01-22 19:01

    Another old shovel Here is a photo.

  15. #15Insley52008-01-22 19:07

    Another old shovel I have a few questions. I believe this is a 1920s Insley Shovel. It has a Buda KT281 gas engine. It is complete, but not running. I am considering bringing it home from the hills. But is it worth the cost of hiring a crane to move it? I reckon it would cost about $1000 to $2000 to bring it home.

  16. #16Steve Frazier2008-01-22 19:49

    I think that's a question only you can answer. How much is it worth to you? There's not a huge market for antique machinery, I suppose if you waited long enough to find a buyer real interested in it you might make a few bucks but I wouldn't count on it.

  17. #17bobcat ron2008-01-22 20:26

    You can always buy a good flat deck trailer and start dismantling it piece by piece and use something like a good used skid steer to move the parts around, it might take more time, but you might have to take it apart to clean it and re-paint it anyways.

  18. #18Countryboy2008-01-22 20:46

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Insley5! :drinkup

  19. #19CAT245ME2008-01-29 12:05

    I am just reading this topic for the first time and would like to say that there is an old Northwest shovel at work that looks like the one NORTHART posted on page 1(but different color), it has a Cat diesel and was retired from everyday use about 10 years ago and now sits off to the side.From what the workers have said it was a pain to change cables on and was replaced with a Cat 245B shovel(still in use). The company use to have two Northwests, the second had a Murphy diesel engine and was sold for scrap.