Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Stuff in Ohio

rino · 2008-06-03 17:16

We are working on SR 422 that runs through Parkman Ohio! About 1 3/4 miles west of Parkman main intersertion (SR 422 and SR 88) is an old washed gravel and sand yard! The old man that owns it still screens a little top soil and sand! I asked him if I could take these pictures and post them here, and he said OK! He then told me that he would sell parts! I asked for a contact noumer and he gave me this number 440-548-5813. He works the yard some times durring the day. Be forewarned; the man was offered $4 million for this property and he turned it down! It is said that he needs on more money! I haven't seen it yet, but I have been told in the back, about a mile from the road is more equipment! This is stuff just around his scale house!

Replies47
  1. #1rino2008-06-03 17:24

    More Soltis Here is more pictures form Soltis Sand and Gravel

  2. #2rino2008-06-03 17:35

    And even more Soltis Almost all the loaders are D/D 2 stroke except the Cats! Yes that is a Yumbo excavator that runs! Most of the loaders up front run!

  3. #3rino2008-06-03 18:16

    Soltis non-working equipment Here is the stuff that needed repairs when the plant shut down! 2 Warner Swasey Hopto excavators, a loader, a dump truck, a pan, and misc. equipment! I wish I could get to the back and take some pictures from there!

  4. #4stretch2008-06-03 19:07

    Daaang...and did one of those loaders say Lorain?

  5. #5carlsharp2008-06-03 21:27

    He could retire on the scrap alone.... CS

  6. #6Freightrain2008-06-04 09:31

    Wow...thanks for the pics. Looks like ALOT of history sitting around.

  7. #7AtlasRob2008-06-04 14:25

    Yumbo, Yumbo........ daddy I saw a Yumbo............... No son I dont think you did, this is the only living Yumbo known in captivity. Dang your right boy, theres two :thumbsup

  8. #8Deas Plant2008-06-05 07:19

    Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, AtlasRob. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats' enough to ruin my sleep for a week, knowing there's still TWO of them that haven't been taken down the back paddock and shot. I never got to run a GENUINE Yumbo but I did get to run the Yumbo-designed and maybe Yumbo-built IH 3980 excavator. WOTTA ill-designed and ill-constructed pyla bolts! More better it were for scrap iron. NO LOL.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-06-05 12:57

    Sorry Deas, didn't mean to ruin your week I dont know if our one ( weyandarun.co.uk) is a genuine or not. It has YUMBO on the counterweight and at the moment is worth quite a bit about 10t I believe, say 8t x £140 = probably about what it cost new :dizzy Those levers are an education :Banghead

  10. #10euclid2008-06-05 14:08

    no ukes, what kind of gravel pit is that? Nice shots of old iron.:beerchug

  11. #11levepower2008-06-05 21:40

    beautiful landscape

  12. #12rino2008-06-06 01:01

    stretch Yep it's a Lorain alright! With either a 6-53 V or a 4-53 V I couldn't get close enough to see which one it was! Did you notice the twin exhaust on top of the hood?

  13. #13rino2008-06-06 01:21

    Not really....

  14. #14rino2008-06-06 01:35

    euclid Washed gravel and sand! From the looks of it they left on friday 1968 or 1969(?) guessing on the year from the newest equipment; and never reopened! Just said I have had enough! THere is a 1967 or 68 GMC tandum dump that seems to be the newest peice of equipment on the property!

  15. #15rino2008-06-06 01:44

    truck pictures Here are a few truck pictures I got!

  16. #16rino2008-06-06 01:51

    Thanx euclid. I wasn't up to par that day! My back and knees were at about a 9+ on the pain scale! It rained the the sun came out, then it started raining again the finished off the day with sun! Thats why all my pictures were taken from the cab of my truck!

  17. #17RonG2008-06-06 04:58

    I wonder if that Dodge dump truck was still running.Wonder what it had for an engine?Great pics.Ron G

  18. #18WabcoMan2008-06-06 05:32

    rino, Thanks for the great pictures. I love looking at old iron:notworthy

  19. #19Deas Plant2008-06-06 06:14

    Those control levers. Hi, AtlasRob. You didn't really ruin my sleep or my week. It'd take a bit more than that. The IH 3980 was a REAL piece of work. Boom and dipper made out of lesser quality steel so thicker to get the strength which made the machine front-heavy to start with. Then there were the controls(????????????????????). Nothing like the set-up in those Yumbos. Travel/steer was relatively normal - 2 pedals on the floor. Then there were the (almost) joysticks - boom fore and aft under the right hand, dipper fore and aft under the left hand. So far, so good. Now the bucket - two pedals on the floor under your right foot - you had to change pedals to open or close the bucket - just a tad wearing on the right ankle after a full day of it. Slew? Did you ask about the slew? Well, I've saved the best bit for last. To slew left, you pulled the right (almost) joystick toward you. To slew right, you pulled the left (almost) joystick toward you. See now why I wrote "(almost) joystick"? There were only 3 movements on each hand lever, not 4 as with most other joystick controls. Gimme a Kato or Hitachi any time.

  20. #20euclid2008-06-06 10:11

    hey you made the effort and that is important and I know we appreciate the time spent messing about:thumbsup

  21. #21Buckethead2008-06-06 18:32

    Deas, when I first saw pics of the Yumbo I thought it was an IH. If I am not mistaken Poclain also designed and/or built excavators for IH as well?

  22. #22knucklehead982008-06-07 23:23

    That last pic looked like poor ole Mater just rolled up and died!!!!!!

  23. #23rino2008-06-08 00:18

    That last truck picture I think is a GMC or Chevy about a C50 or C60 series? I almost bet the farm that it is GM product from the front bumper alone!

  24. #24Deas Plant2008-06-08 01:07

    IH Excavators. Hi, Buckethead. I don't know anything about Poclain making excavators for IH. The Yumbo-built one was enough for me. I have thought at times that IH would have been better off sourcing their excavators from the North-west Pacific islands. Just my 0.02.

  25. #25RonG2008-06-08 05:47

    I was talking about the Dodge in the earlier set of pics.There is only one side shot of it.Ron G

  26. #26rino2008-06-08 15:34

    Do you mean the one in the background behind the Yumbo? I believe thats a 73 to 79 F150! I dont think the ole man was too hip on Chrysler Products. They were never a popular commercial vehicle! I don't have anything bad to say about Chrysler, but man do I hate a D/D 2 stroke in a highway vehicle!

  27. #27RonG2008-06-08 16:19

    It is the third pic in post number four.The Dodge dump truck.Ron G

  28. #28rino2008-06-09 22:12

    That was an old Ford Super Duty T750D or T800D! I had to look again! Your are talking about the yellow with the pail yellow door? That IS a Ford Super Duty! I started out with a tandem T850D That had the 477 gas engine with a 5X4 Twin Stick! The first one was a 1964, then I bought a 1968 with the 534 and 5X4 2 stick. The best deal I ever made was I bought a 68 GMC 7500 that had a 351v6 gas! the company that owned it revamped it wit a 555 Cummins and a 10 speed road range! I got it for $1000.00 and there wasn't 1000 miles on it! It was 300" wheel base, we ended up cutting her down to fit a Reynolds 16' aluminum bed! I got that from a scrap man I knew at the time! He sold me the bed sub-frame wet-line PTO, Controls, Electric Tarp and air gate setup for $500.00! I found a tilt front end for another $500.00. As a winter project we put the tilt front end on and the bed, moved the diff's up to a respectable length, and a guy we knew made up a drive shaft, and we used some left over paint for the cab! Chrysler black with gold metallic! I ran that truck for 6 weeks then some guy came by and offered me $5k, and I said nope! He came back a week later and offered me $7K, and I said nope again! He came back the third time and offered me $8K and I said naw, he countered with $8500.00! That man had just bought himself a truck! I had $2K in cash and about 100 hours in it, and I made out soooo gooood! I really didn't like the 555 Cummins as much as I did the 350! IMO the 555 was the Cummins 3208!:roll

  29. #29RonG2008-06-10 08:41

    What a deal!!! I was pretty much basing my observation on the front end of the truck,the grill tipped back like a Dodge would but it could have been a Ford as well.......it has been years since I have seen one. I was driving a Ford 750 Super Duty back in those days with the 332ci engine but we had a 950 too and the grill tipped back like that.I have forgotten which engine it had,maybe a 534ci but it had shutters in the grill and I always thought it looked funny with the back sloping front end.I had to gas up twice a day and get a lightweight on the scales twice a day.I was driving for Lane construction back in those days.Ron G

  30. #30D5G2008-06-11 22:26

    rino, do you have your won company or are you working for someone? I see you live in Barberton...i'm in wadsworth, i'll have to drop you a PM interesting to see someone so close to me!

  31. #31rino2008-06-27 23:42

    D5G I work for a company! I was an O/O in the late 70's early 80's! I learned back then that being an O/O was an ulcer in the making, and I wouldn't EVEN think things had changed for the better! No don't want one, can't use one, wouldn't take one if they were giving them away! Trucks and Music Equipment! I know too many O/O that are about to loose everything! There are many trucks for sale now, with the cost of fuel and all! When I'm done for the day, I fuel, turn in my paperwork, notify the night mechanic of service that needs done, and I go HOME!!!! No more nights in the shop sweating over a spent clutch, flat tires, stoved tail gates, holes in the bed from the operator dropping concrete from the rails of the bed. Don't have to stock parts for the different trucks, and I don't have to worry about a Dayton wheel trying to kill me! Above all I don't have to find someone that will treat my equipment like it should be treated! Been there, done that, and now I'm just too old too fat, and too cripled to be crawling over and under a truck for hours on end! BTW: I was from Wadsworth. My family had been there for over 100 years! Wadsworth is OK if you want to live in a Bath Fairlawn setting! Too political fo me!

  32. #32D5G2008-06-28 13:24

    Well you sure are on the money with wadsworth, looks like we'll be getting a 3rd fire station soon. The enourmous growth isn't good in my opinion. Sounds like a good job, I know the O/O's sure are on hard times around here as you said, sad to see. Thanks, Mike

  33. #33Wolf2008-06-28 15:52

    that iron looks like it is in pretty bad shape. but i bet it has some decent scrap value. $4 million for the property. well, how much is it worth. if worth $20 there was nothing greedy about his turning down the developer's offer or maybe he just wants to keep the property in its natural state during his lifetime and not torn up by development. maybe you should tell him he could sell a conservation easement, get some money upfront and make sure the property is never developed, even after he is gone.

  34. #34rino2008-09-12 01:34

    His son has a landscaping supply a couple houses down form MikeTysons mansion. Too bad about ole Iron Mike! He was a good dude until Robin dumped him and Don got his hooks in him! I guess Robin was a spaz and Don was just plain nuts! I have been told the old man farts $50's and poops $100's! His grandson told me that grandpa made it so they would NEVER have to work a day in their lives; as he was pushing up concrete, asphalt grindings, and dirt on their property with an old Michigan loader! Grandpa owns the sand and gravel pit, dad runs landscape supplies, and the grandson works for dad on a daily basis! These kids run and play in the woods. They have a 6 acre pond with 2 jet ski's 1 wet bike and a boat! They have 4 wheelers, and a Cat skid steer, Cat D5 dozer, a old cat front engine track loader, an older square cabbed Cat 320 Excavator, and that Michigain loader, misc farm tractors with misc impliments, and an old GMC tandum dump! They need or want for nothing! 200 acres wood lands with all the scrap removed! wort about $1000 an acre undeveloped! That would be $200K

  35. #35landrvrnut222008-09-12 09:08

    Sounds low to me. Around here, land is going for $8-10k an acre. Larger tracts are getting more. I know about where that is, but haven't been up that way in several years.

  36. #36rino2008-11-23 06:33

    Soltis Sand & Gravel First of all I didn't mean to imply the old man is greedy! The day I took those pictures the old man was trying to air up a steer tire on his Ford 655 backhoe with a holding tank! I went and helped him get it back on the bead and aired up, as my truck is plumbed for an air hose which I have as well as a tire chuck and air gage! Since I didn't have a bead blaster I had to revert to the other older and well proved method; smack a lot of grease between the rim and tire on both side, and add air. POP its back on! The old man (which is a description, not rank, or meant in a disrespectful manner) offered to pay me, and I turned him down! When I got back to the job sight, the foreman asked me what took so long, and I told him my story! The foreman told me that the old man didn't want for money! He said more but I'm not going to say it here! Lets just say the old man don't have to worry about paying his bills. BTW the old man is about 80 or 90, and ran an IT28, 10 hours a day for a week! He was there at 6:00 am and left at 4:00 pm! I just hope I as spry as he is when I get to his age! To him, I am just a kidat 49 years!

  37. #37Taylortractornu2008-11-28 10:24

    That old machinery should be more valuable as parts than scrap with scrap now being around 3 cents. I had an old front axle off a Michigan loader last year I picked up. was good all the way through. A sawmill that used the same typ laoder to move logs and load chips broke a planetary. They knew I had one and I made a quick 950 after some haggling then later they gave me 1200 for the rest of the axle. Id love the old dragline myself. He wouldnt happpen to have an old Drott30 or Yumbo 30 a friend of mine has one in a recycle yard that has a pulp grapple on it but the swing box is bad.

  38. #38rino2008-12-03 02:22

    Taylortractornu: If you check my first post, you'll find a contact number for the man! Hope he can help! He has a Yumbo and a Drott, not shure of the model/size!

  39. #39ohioduramax2008-12-04 20:55

    Do you work for Karvo rino?

  40. #40rino2008-12-05 17:53

    ohioduramax Well; kind a sort a. Yes, but I'm laidoff for the winter!

  41. #41ohioduramax2008-12-05 19:09

    How long have you been with them? What do you do for them? I was on the route 8 job between graham rd and 303 this past summer and fall.

  42. #42rino2008-12-06 03:18

    ohioduramax I'm sending you a pm!

  43. #43surfer-joe2008-12-07 00:50

    He's got all the old rust-belt equipment there, some I haven't seen in forty years.

  44. #44rockinrandolph2013-03-24 04:37

    I own a drott yumbo 30 yc that I used until the drive sprocket broke I couldn't find the seal retainer so there it sits. 353 detroit

  45. #45rockinrandolph2013-03-24 04:42

    I've got a 30yc but by now your friend probably got his fixed or junked

  46. #46rockinrandolph2013-03-24 04:49

    I own a drott yumbo 30 yc its been sitting for lack of a drive sprocket seal retainer probably way too late but I have one

  47. #47renaud2014-07-14 22:19

    Rino, Many thanks for sharing these pictures.It is very interresting.I'll never get tired looking at old equipment.I'll never get enough "wandering around" yard filled with old equipment like that.Some very interresting machines in there.....that MF88 loader-it seems like theire are 2 of them is something rare and has a unique design. Many thanks for sharing. Max.