Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

older 1845c

wkeggenhoff ยท 2009-03-16 13:16

Have a friend that has purchased a unit that has been stored in a barn for 1.5 years. Battery is dead and can't get the arms up to get the battery out. We boosted it at the starter. Unit wont start with key. Is the starter built swich built into the key switch. Does it have a starter relay or solinoid between the key switch and starter solinoid ?It is spring loaded at the key switch but there is a push button switch near the key(might be for the horn as well) Unit turned over very slowly. Hit it with a quick shot of 24v and a lilltle spray fo either and it fired up. Leaning towards pulling the starter and haveing checked out as I feel it is drawing to mant amps. Let unit warm up for 5 min. and operated hyd's. bucket would curl and dump but we could not get boom to rise. we also tryed to move forward and back but would not move. no could hear pumps trying to drive. There is a lever on left bside that says engage/ release. Is this the park brake ? We moved that did not seem to make any difference. How does this work. ? could it be frozen down underneath somewhere ? Lever moves but that is all we can see. Have to get a manual for this.

Replies6
  1. #1snafu7772009-03-16 22:10

    try checking the fuses.....have a 753 that wouldn't start with the key and it ended up being a bad fuse

  2. #2mudmaker2009-03-16 22:17

    the park brake on mine is mechanical. you have to go forward just a touch to release it. Mine does not have the lever you mention, just the bar that comes down over the driver. when you lift it up it engages the brake. Someone else will chime in that knows more than I do, but IIRC the drive is a separate hyd system from the loader. I dont have a clue why you would not be able to lift the loader unless you have a linkage frozen up. I would pull the seat out and look over the linkages and make sure everything is moving as it should. My guess on the starter is just get a new battery and make sure the cables are connected well. I just put a new bat in mine as it was turning over slow when cold, but now it is good as new.

  3. #3stumpjumper832009-03-21 08:42

    The park brake is tied to both the wheel motors and the lift circuit, but not the bucket. To release the park brake you had to do the opposite of the grade its parked on. Now that is on a later overhead, single lap bar set up. I havent been in a dual lap bar machine in awhile, and I cant remember if there is a park lever in them or not, I was thinking that they released the same as the later 45c's. I do know that sometimes a relay was added to the start circuit to get more juice to the starter. I think originally all the juice ran thru the key switch.... not positive.

  4. #4wkeggenhoff2009-03-23 09:33

    Update iTS ALIVE. TOOK STARTER OFF AND IT WAS SHOT. BOUGHT A NEW ONE AND INSTALLED. UNIT FIRED RIGHT UP. sPRAYED PENETRANT ON LINKAGE FOR BRAKE LINKAGE AND WORKED BACKL AND FORTH GO IT TO RELEASE. AS FOR THE HOIST NOT WORKING I JUMPED IN MACJHINE AND IT WORKS FINE THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS GREAT FORUM. CHEERS

  5. #5bill onthehill2009-03-23 13:16

    Thanks for the update. Threads that end abruptly are frustrating.

  6. #6stephenb2009-03-25 11:32

    Any issues with the bucket operation? I am getting ready to post a message on my 1845c