Looking at oliver 550 tractor shows two shift patterns we can't figure how to go from hi to low range to make the patterns work. Hope someone can help ths
Depending upon which range its in , go to the center and push toward the front of the tractor or rear. May need to feather the clutch a little. I have one of these , they are pretty nice considering when they were built.
dickjr, ths for your reply, I failed say we couldn't find a hi/low lever, so I need more help ths
There is no high low lever , just the stick to your left. Either push lightly forward and feel for the shift rail or pull lightly back for the shift rail. Its there. You have a standard H in high , split the H to the rear or forward and another H in that range. There should be springs to center it. They rust and break over time , and can be picked up as well. Maybe you need to sale me this thing , if its that hard to shift.
There shouldn't be high low if it's anything like my 77. It's just the top and bottom. When I find neutral, i hold it up, then go left or right for my top 4, or pull it down then left or right for my bottom 4. From center if I'm viewing your shift pattern right, first gear should be up, left, up. Reverse should be up, left, down. Second should be up, right, down. Third should be down, left, up. Here's the shift plate for the 550 if it's the 8 speed:
Here is a little more info. from TractorData. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/6/8/680-oliver-550-transmission.html
thys for all the replys very helpful, will be next week before I will work on it