Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oliver, the other green tractor!

LogDog ยท 2009-05-12 11:55

heres a pic of my little oliver,got any other oliver fans on here? I have been told that this is not a "real oliver" because it was biult by Fiat, so would that now make it a chrysler:beatsme Enjoy

Replies40
  1. #1td25c2009-05-12 20:29

    Hey LogDog,that's nice looking "ollie".I did not know that oliver and fiat were connected.We have some oliver fans here.I am a minniapolis-moline man at heart.I like the oliver's to.The Dunham-lier loader is a good addition to any tractor.It's a well built loader,We have one on a 170 allis chalmers.

  2. #2Sled Puller2009-05-14 07:35

    Dad bought a new Oliver-Fiat 1265 in 1973. With a 6foot Woods brush hog. still have both. Fuel efficient and reliable. 6 speed double neutral tranny and 2 stage clutch are"quirky" though.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2009-05-14 10:14

    How's this for going back a bit:

  4. #4bill onthehill2009-05-14 18:08

    That is older than me. Hand crank with a magneto! I would guess from the 1920's or 30's?

  5. #5LogDog2009-05-15 00:43

    I have enjoyed the tractor very much, from what I recall fiat and oliver were married for smaller utility tractors while under the White co umbrella yes the 2 stick trans and some time no release clutch you can get "busy" in tight spots. the grandaughter and the dogs thing it the best thing going I always wanted (still do) a 99 with the detroit weather looks to be drying up here for the weekend maybe get the weeds knocked down. enjoy Roger

  6. #6Michaeljp862009-05-18 23:00

    Im a big oliver fan, even though I dont have one. Id like a 2255 with the CAT V8. There is a old oliver down the road thats been sitting for years. Some day when I have some cash Ill stop and see if they will sell it.

  7. #7Turbo218352009-05-22 10:31

    Olivers arent all that bad, could be worse, you could have a galvanized pheasant feeder running around in your fields. :stirthepot

  8. #8Michaeljp862009-05-22 12:04

    What is that? A gleaner?

  9. #9Turbo218352009-05-22 13:25

    You got it :drinkup

  10. #10hvy 1ton2009-05-22 14:47

    \ Never heard that one before, always the silver seeders. One of several ks ag brands owned by AGCO. It seems everyone has good insults for Gleaner and ** combines, but what about the yellow ones?

  11. #11OneWelder2009-05-22 16:04

    White bought out Oliver- but I do not know what happened after that a neighbor had a white backhoe(green under the yellow) I thought it to be a good machine- he only fixed things when they fell off and it would not move which was not very often

  12. #12Michaeljp862009-05-22 16:29

    Minneapolis Moline and oliver used the same tractor but different color, I think oliver may have bought MM. I have a galvanized pheasant feeder, its a New Idea 2 row corn picker. It gets about 1/2 of it, the rest of the ears get chewed up and thrown all over the place.

  13. #13Andy Detwiler2009-06-20 09:38

    I'm an Oliver fan, we've had them on our farm since befor me. we have one 66, one 88, one Super 88, one Super 99 GM, one 1650, and just purchased a 1955. We dont use them much anymore cause the equipment is too big for them. I do use the 1955 to make hay and going to bale straw with it. Andy

  14. #14Michaeljp862009-06-20 16:33

    Andy, you need a 2255

  15. #15flametamer2009-07-27 23:04

    Nice Olivers. I'm a big fan of the newer Olivers. The ones with the square white grill vs. the rounded yellow grill. Dt

  16. #16Michaeljp862009-07-27 23:50

    I want a 2255 with the cat v8, that beast would pull your mamas trailer right off its blocks.

  17. #17flametamer2009-07-28 07:27

    My dad wants to find a Super 55 to restore. He ran one growing up. You just don't see many Olivers in Mississippi. I guess that's one reason I like them and Minneapolis Molines too. Dt

  18. #18ScottAR2009-07-30 01:06

    That might be one of the nicest looking tractors I've laid eyes on...

  19. #19trukfan2009-07-30 09:32

    That's a really nice 2255. I saw at an auction I went to a few years back one of those Super 99's w/ the GM V-12 in it. That was a wild looking tractor. I'd like to find a 880 diesel for tractor pulling, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

  20. #20Squizzy246B2009-07-30 09:43

    Here ya go..

  21. #21OneWelder2009-07-30 11:38

    When did they stop making Minneapolis Molines ? Guy up the street brought home a immaculate M M that was built long after I thought they had gone out of buss. . Has flat square rear fenders with headlights mounted under fender - like old Internationals They were never popular around here either - in fact I do not know who was a dealer for them

  22. #22pudding2009-08-16 05:43

    fiat olivers, some of the fiat olivers were a flop, the early ones but i think you have a 1265?? you can still get parts http://www.importtractorparts.net/ they still built the fiat versions new in india definitly a proven reliable machine, good purchase

  23. #23Michaeljp862009-08-16 10:26

    Heres a oliver that not green.

  24. #24td25c2009-08-16 20:40

    Minneapolis - Moline The last of the true Minneapolis-molines ran out in 1971.From 1972 to 74 Oliver & Moline shared a tractor with a Oliver chassis & Moline engine then White took over then Agco an so on.My buddy has a 1974 MM G900 that has the Oliver chassis & Moline engine .My 1968 MM G1000 Vista is pure Minneapolis Moline.MM also made a nice articulated for wheel drive tractor ,It was an A4T 1600 and you could also get it in Oliver green.

  25. #25surfer-joe2009-08-16 21:55

    White and Oliver co-existed for a few years, but I haven't been interested enough to look up the history. Olivers were a popular tractor in my home area. They had one of the best and snappiest engines built for a number of years, believe it was made by Hercules Diesel.

  26. #26Steve Frazier2009-08-16 22:02

    I never knew the White's were red, I've only seen silver ones.

  27. #27Michaeljp862009-08-17 00:46

    Oliver always seemed to use good engines.

  28. #28lars2009-10-06 19:10

    As far as Oliver history goes, White actually purchased Oliver in 1960, although the White name didn't appear on the Olivers until later in the 55 series. Cockshutt was purchased in 1962 and Moline in 1963, although the consolidation into White Farm Equipment didn't occur until 1969. White tractors didn't appear until 1974 with the Oliver line eliminated by 1976. I really liked Oliver engines in their pre-1960 tractors and smaller tractors like the 1650. However, the 310 in the 1950T and later the 1855 and 1955 was just too light and had a tendency to throw a rod through the block. The 310 was probably the biggest problem with those tractors as they were really small compared to the 400+ cubic inch engines of IH, Deere, Case and Ford.

  29. #29pannycj2010-01-10 16:50

    our 1855

  30. #302stickbill2010-01-10 23:02

    Long hooded.Take half a day just to walk around it.I run a MM on a rice farm here Good tractor.

  31. #31Squizzy246B2010-01-11 08:14

    I think this one might be longer!

  32. #322stickbill2010-01-11 21:07

    Yes I think so.That is what I need to plow the back forty.Be throught real quick.

  33. #33mlappin2010-02-05 00:55

    Turn around and run away from it like your hair is on fire and you're ass is catching. Have a 2255 with the 3208. Transmission is out of it. Locked in 3rd gear after the gear froze to the pinion shaft. Used parts and aftermarket stuff to get it going again will be more than it's worth. Absolutely hate working on that tractor. I speak from experience. We have on the farm a 66, 77, 770, two 88's, a 880, 1600, 1850, 1855 and that 2255. For Whites we have a 2-110, 4-150, 4-175, and a 4-210. In Massey flavors we have a 4880 and a 8160FWA, then a MF8560 and a MF8780 for combines. For oddballs we have a JD400 backhoe, a JD401C loader and a Ford 801 forklift. Also have a Bobcat mini and a Bobcat skidsteer with the factory tracks. Out of all that stuff, the 22 is the worst one outa the bunch to have to work on.

  34. #34Ramjed2010-03-10 02:17

    Is that an 18-28 or a 28-44 I am restoring a 1936 18-28 on steel right now

  35. #35Squizzy246B2010-03-10 04:56

    Ramjed, Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums Try this thread for some more info:

  36. #36Bison2010-09-25 11:17

    I farm with a couple of these. IMO good solid tractors

  37. #37td25c2010-09-25 22:10

    Cool tractors Bison:thumbsup I see a 4-53 detroit under the hood on the last picture of the cockshut pulling an early vermeer round bailer.I love It

  38. #38Bison2010-09-25 22:51

    Yep,you are right on the dot

  39. #39Aussie John2010-10-23 07:07

    Squizzy, how did the Chamberlain 9G with the Commer Knocker engine end up going like at Dardanup? I saw it run on it's maiden pull on the sledge and it did not go as well as I expected it to. Still needed a bit of fine tuning. John

  40. #40dirty4fun2011-01-02 15:37

    Grew up with Olivers dad had a bunch of different ones, 60, 66, 70, 77, 88, Super 88, 770, 1800, 1850, and 1855. Had an old 770D when the motor had 8K hours over hauled and put over that many the next time. The last few thousand was grinding feed, covered in corn dust all the time. Never used a drop of oil. The 1800 were pretty good then the 1850 had Perkins motors and they had troubles. The 1855 were ahead of the others with an over and under hydra-shift. When the dealer past away his son ran it a few years then they closed the doors. Most everyone had changed to red or JD green due to his son driving them away.