Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Olofsfors sharq edges

dallou ยท 2014-01-21 15:18

Hey every one out there. I'm looking at putting a set of sharq edges on one of our machines. 976 volvo. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how theses have worked out for them and all opinions on them. Thnx

Replies6
  1. #1teamlayton2014-02-02 18:17

    Hi dallou, I'm using them now on a Cat Grader on icy patches were the sun don't melt all the snow off. I work in 2nd back and forth and most times I can remove all the ice.Have to work with them rolled all the way back keeps a sharp edge on them.I have also did some blade work if not cutting hard they will remove wash board very well. If its summer dry roads you burn them up fast.

  2. #2BTCat2014-03-16 01:05

    Hey Dallou, I just saw these at the SARM convention in Regina and am not sure what to think being you need to buy the adapter board and the fact there is only 4 pegs with wedges to hold them in place. I asked around and none of the other operators have tried them yet. We have been using the Kennametal I.C.E carbide blades with good results. We purchased them Summer of 2012 and put 1500 hrs+ on them blading road and found they work well on ice and snow pack also. Price wise they work out to about the same at time of purchase but our I.C.E. Blades have worked out to around $1.50 /hr so far

  3. #3MKTEF2014-03-19 16:16

    We use those on our 976. Just remember not to have the blades to long "down" from the adapter. The 976 is so heavy that the edges will get bent. Its bether to adjust them a couple more times extra than bend them. With all those holes it is no problem adjusting them one row of holes each time. I have posted pics of ours somewhere here on the forum but cant find them right now. Regarding the number of wedges, its one pr feet of blade. aca 4 feet blade is 4 wedges, 5 feet is 5.

  4. #4dallou2014-03-21 01:01

    Hey Thanks guys I actually put a set on and am really impressed so far. Now I just found out they have came out with the ram edges. I think they will work pretty good. Another question I have is why can't a person put the wedges in from the bottom side. I think it may work better as it won't bend them in heavy gravel or clay. Any opinions

  5. #5dallou2014-03-21 01:04

    Forgot to mention that I'm really surprised that I didn't get more replies on this. Are these blades that new or does nobody use them. ?

  6. #6MKTEF2014-03-21 16:24

    I have a feeling that this design is rather new in US. In scandinavia we have used the wedges since the 60's. I would not change the direction of the wedge bolt. When the blade is rolled all back i bet the wedge will scrape the ground and wear off the head. Bending the wedges is no problem, but a advantage as they dont get lose/lost as easy. I always give them a extra wack with the hammer to bend them.(the lower end) Of course if u blade material from left to right, wedges go in from left to right. Material will then keep them in place. And please post some pics..