I Just laid my machine (Case 580 diesel) on its side…..thankfully I had ROP’s and no one got hurt. Maybe I should consider it my lucky day. I was moving on a 3% side grade with the bucket up when the right front blew sending me on a ride of a life time. My question is now what? I got it back upright after about 3 hours on its side and it fired right up. I did shut it down right away. What should I do besides refilling the fluids? Also, this machine has always felt tipsy with the add weight of the extend-a-hoe. Is there away to minimize this with different tires or Tire pressure? Or counter weighting. I’m thinking about running 11x16 skidsteer tires on the front (2 wheel drive). Anybody have an experience using them for added traction in the mud? Thanks
Welcome to HEF mitch man! :drinkup
I would fill the tires with this "goo" called tire slime. it seals any leaks around the tire and can help prevent punctures in the tire. If I can remember the name of where I got it I'll let you know.
I know how you feel. I almost flipped a buddies case 580 backhoe. I had about 2 ton boulder on the left side of the bucket, while driving on a slight hill the left front tire sunk into the ground causing the backhoe to lean on the left two tires. I dropped the bucket fast enough that it did not go over as the rock fell out. That will scare the hell out of you!
I have the rear tires on my backhoe filled (just above the rim) with water and anti-freeze. The extra weight (500-700lbs each - depending on size of tire) helps some on sidehills. I never cross a side hill with the bucket high - always as low to the ground as possible. Also, you can swing the boom over to the uphill side to help offset the weight. With an extend-a-hoe, this works even better.
I'll second what Bob just said. You didn't give much detail, but my first thoughts were that when you laid it on its side, you probably had the front bucket too high, and the hoe centered, in the transport lock position. You've seen the "dancing diggers" thread. The reason that guy can lean so far to the side is that he's using the extendahoe as a sort of live counterweight. One of the things I love about good old backhoes is that you can do some neat stuff if you learn how to use the hoe not just to dig, but to balance the tractor. I had a 580C and never worried about running on slight side slopes.
You see guys running around with there outriggers down part way.Maybe that is to help hold it from completely turning over. You would have to be careful they didn't cacth on something or creep down and spin you around.That would be also a worry looks like,but for just short period it might be okay.Good luck.:usa
I saw a guy tip one over in the early 80's, it was a 580 CK, model year about 1982. He was loading a dump truck on a side hill in a very bad traffic area. He was also one of those guys that would never listen to anyone. At any rate, he had the hoe locked and straight and was traveling from the spoil pile to the truck with the loader in the air. There was a rock he kept running over that would gently lift the high sided wheel off the ground a few inches. I stopped him and told him what was going on and advised him to travel with the bucket low and to swing the boom uphill. He gave me that "get out of my face" look and about five minutes later the machine was on its side. He flew out if it looking for new underwear. Tough machine, all it did was break the mirror. We pulled it over with the dump truck, I checked the fluids and finished loading. This is an excellent thread, thanks for posting it:drinkup . Since I just bought a 580 and have hills on my property it really refreshed my mind as to what not to do. Also Digger brought up some great ideas that I had completely forgotten about since my days as an operator. Don
Hello Im new here. Glad to hear you are ok. What model do you have? Counterweights on the front make a big difference. We have the counterweight option on our Super L2 and Ive run Case's without. Pushing material the front has better traction because the extra weight on the 4wd front. I've seen guys who never ran a Case and can't figure how to lock the boom up. Any one who know's a Case knows that the ductile iron boom is very heavy and likes to bounce if it's not in the travel position. My suggestion would be look for a front counter weight. Good luck buddy. Jim
I always swing the hoe to the high side when there is alot of weight in the bucket. It has saved me more than once.
Case does make a front counterweight option to hang underneath the original bumper. Weight ration on a case is nearly 20/80 when empty. Smaller tires will help. Keeping th e bucket low reduces the need for any of that. Glad you are ok.
The only think I can add is to check the batteries and the battery box for spilled acid. Glad you are OK. John
+1 on the battery(s). Glad you're OK. I always thought my little IH 2400 hoe was really unstable. I guess it can happen to any of 'em. I think I'd have to go change my underwear too. I bet that was some ride.