Hello there ! I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a used JD 160 excavator. Before I call the company that sold it to me I'd like your opinion on something. I can do "maintenance" but I'm not a mechanic and my first problem is that I don't even know the name of the part that is leaking. but It dripple bit time, it's dark black so I suspect motor oil. Can you guys help me on this ? What's leaking ? any gasket or something I can change or that's a bigger problem ? Check the video to see it leak clearly. Thanks a lot
I would think rear main seal.
Looks like a rear crankshaft seal or maybe the flywheel housing to engine block bolts. The pump will have to come out and the flywheel to see better.
There’s a ton of smoke in the video does the muffler have a leak? It looks like a rear main seal. Not too big a deal to replace. Pumps and flywheel have to come off. If exhaust is leaking it’ll take out the new one
@Mike85 "There’s a ton of smoke in the video does the muffler have a leak" Indeed there is a bunch of smoke, that's actually why I first stop and went looking at first . I'll have to check for that leak too, thanks for pointing it out. All right for what I can google out of your replies rear main seal and crankshaft seal are the same thing right ? And it doesn't look to be expensive. I purchase the repair manual online I'll have a look. @mekanik you mention it could be the " flywheel housing to engine block bolts" I'll try to take better / closer picture before removing the Pumps and flywheel Thanks for the quick replies guys.