Hello, I searched the other threads and not found what I looking for, so I’m asking you all for your wisdom. I’d like a crawler loader with hoe to clear some land and dig a basement for a cabin. I like the JD 450C and everything I find online says get a 450c not 450 or 450b because the C has turbo and wet clutches. I’ve recently been looking at an ad for a JD555A. I like that it’s a bit bigger and it also has a ROPs, 4 in 1 bucket, and a hoe. The problem I have is that there is a lot of negative talk about the 555A due to transmission problems, which are very expensive to repair. I’m thinking there are people out there who love their 555A and have not had any major issues with it. I’d love to hear from anyone that can give me insight into this machine before I make a buying decision, but especially want to hear from past and present JD 555A owners. Tell me your experience with this machine. Would you buy another? Would you recommend one? Here’s ad. Thanks Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
If you want my honest opinion. Don't buy any of the above listed machines. Find yourself a 935 931 or a 943. They will cost more but they are a much better put together machine. Any of the small cat track loaders are better then a 555 thought about being
The 555A was introduced to the market in 1983 and 84 555B was introduced in 1985 this was Deeres first venture into torque converter power shift market for smaller crawler loaders. They had British Twin Disk Transmission. At 2500 hours you wound start to see lube pressure start to drop as unit warmed up. They were labor intensive and costly to repair back then. If you are dead set on this machine run it for a while and check it out. If lube pressure gauge on dash panel goes to low side or if gauge is missing You will be buying a money pit if you can even find parts.
Thanks Steve. Just to play devils advocate and put my mind at ease, is this something that occurred in all of the JD555As? What about these old machines with 5000+ hours trouble free? Are they just a time bomb ready to go at any minute. Seller has had 8 or 9 years and just used it around the property. Never any major issues. Shifts smooth through all the gears forward and reverse. Of course, that’s exactly what you would expect to hear from a seller!
There is a reason why Deere only built those for a couple years thank about if Deere got a good thing going they stick with it. In the video I did not see the lube pressure gauge move either disconnected or bad gauge, in your best interest check transmission lube pressure after warmed up even if you have to buy gauze and tech manual to perform the test. To answer your question about the 5000 hours the only way one of these units would go that amount of hours is with previous transmission rebuild or short in harness running hour meter up.
The original 555 from the 70's was powershift. They were a good machine when they worked properly. My former neighbor had one years back with low hours that I drove a little. That said on a used 40 year old machine known for expensive trans. problems I'd be extremely cautious. JD has also discontinued most if not all parts specific to loaders of this era. I have a 1986 Cat 931B with a backhoe. Have been able to get most parts. A few things have been discontinued but major drive train components are no problem. I've had no issues at all with the trans. in the 2000 or so hours I've put on it. Keep in mind all crawlers are money pits. First thing to check though before going any further is the undercarriage. If it's shot will cost $10K or more to replace everything. Don't go by what the seller says unless he has receipts for any work done or parts purchased for it.
Thanks for all of the responses. I’ve decided to pass on the 555a. Just seems too risky. I’ll keep holding out for a JD 450C. I have one in my area, but not set up for backhoe. Does anyone know what is involved to get the hydraulic lines set up on the rear of the machine? Is this a major job? Will post a new thread on this as well.
Since the price is right I'll put in my two cents. I have Dug with crawler loader mounted hoes, and it is absolutely nothing to write home about. I would quit looking at crawler loaders with a hoe on it and just plan on renting something decent when you really needed a hoe. It will simplify your life. It will also save you some wear and tear because getting around and back and forth from the digging seat to the operating seat is a pain in the azz. Similar to the John Deere 555 falling off the market, you don't see a lot of those hoes on crawler loaders. They just weren't the bees knees.
Crawler loaders with hoes used to be somewhat common. While they aren't on par with an excavator they can be pretty handy. The hoe is the same as on a tractor loader backhoe. I find the hoe on my 931B has good digging power and swings a 30" bucket quite well even digging packed clay. It will drag the machine around. The one thing to really be aware off is it puts a lot of weight on the back of the machine which throws the balance of the machine off. It also makes it sink in soft ground. One thing I like about the hoe on my Cat is the hoe uses the same seat as the loader. This let's you operate the transmission while operating the hoe. This is very advantageous if you're on soft ground and need to pull yourself while also driving. On a JD there is a seperate seat for the hoe that sits higher that flips down for use. It's a bit of a pain to climb over the fuel or hyd. tank to change from loader to hoe use but on a JD you don't have that option. You have to get off and back on the machine to change operating positions.
Thanks the input. That certainly does make a CAT sound attractive. I just don’t see a lot of them available in my area. The Deeres come pretty regularly and lots of dealers around here.
Update: I’ve gotten nothing on my separate post about rear hydraulics on a JD450C. Does anyone know if this just a matter of installing the lines or is there a lot more to it?
Here is a picture of what is required to connect hydraulics to a 9300 hoe to a Deere 450C Crawler Loader. The old relics are hard to find parts for expensive to repair and not many people left with experience working on them. Ok
You can look up Deere parts online at DeerePartspage.com if plan on purchasing a Deere machine. I would look up some parts for that machine call a dealer and check price and availability just to get some idea of what cost may be involved. Also, the supply chain is not what it used to be.