Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on a pc28uu-2

SMF ยท 2009-11-10 04:18

Hi all, I have some stump digging, trenching, gravel drive work to do on our 6ac. I have a JD 790 tractor with claim bucket, but I could really use a mini ex for a few years I think. I was thinking about looking at this Komatsu PC28UU-2 this weekend. The guy says it's a 1988 model, but I can't find any 88 PC28's anywhere on the internet, or any specs on it. Say's it runs great, always starts, only bad thing is pins and bushings showing some wear. Wt 6000lbs, tracks 80%, looks like a repaint to me. I'm not planning to use it off my property. What do you think? Thanks, Steve http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/grd/1453157096.html http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/grd/1453149181.html

Replies17
  1. #1thebig450es2009-11-10 08:45

    not bad, is that the size machine you need?

  2. #2SMF2009-11-10 19:38

    Hee Hee, Who doesn't want a bigger one. My limits are 9600lbs for trailer and around $8500. I do have some old growth stumps I'd like remove, they are old and a bit rotten. I pushed 2 of them over with a JD 650 dozer that I rented. There is a few hundred alders and maybe a dozen more old stumps of 3 to 5 ft diameter to remove in order to have more horse pasture.

  3. #3KSSS2009-11-10 20:26

    Thats a lot of stump for a little machine. The other issue is if you have to put money into the old mini ex you could be upside down in a hurry. If this is the majority of the reason for the purchase, I would rent what you need and call it good. You could rent a 120 sized machine for the weekend and do all you need. Then give it back and be done for $500. Get a major breakdown on the mini and you have an $8500 piece of yard art. Just my opinion.

  4. #4thebig450es2009-11-10 20:38

    I would need to agree with KSSS, it would take a 28 sized machine a long time for that size of stumps, even a 50 sized.

  5. #5SMF2009-11-10 22:02

    I agree with you guys but, I think I have a good 2 to 3 summers worth of work I could do with a mini. If I get one that will last and I could resell it, I think I would I would come out ahead on a rental. It's more than just stumps, gravel driveway in front of the house needs replaced, build up is higher than the garage and shop. Drainage for the pasture, ditches along the driveway, power and water to the stalls that are under construction right now (this is taking all my extra cash, have to keep Momma happy), land leveling behind the shop for extra parking or coverd parking. I've got more projects than I can complete in my life time.

  6. #6SMF2009-11-10 22:05

    I did locate a PC38uu-2 close by. It's a 1998 4000hrs, 8000lbs, thumb ready for $10,000. It's streching the budget, but might be worth it. I will look at it on Friday.

  7. #7KSSS2009-11-11 02:58

    Given what you need to do, perhaps a backhoe would be a better match. Give you the power to dig the stumps, ability to build driveways much faster and more effective than a mini. I realize 10K may not buy a great backhoe but if you are going to layout for a piece of equipment you might as well get something that can adequately accomplish all that you wish to get done. I am a big advocate of a mini ex. but in your situation a backhoe would seem to be a better option I think. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

  8. #8special tool2009-11-11 06:09

    They are good machines. I have a 128uu that I use professionally, in fact, its in my current avatar. When you look at a UU, you need to look for a couple things: -Make sure no "genius" mechanic has been in the engine compartment or up on the boom/stick area, monkeying around or trying to "bypass" :Banghead:Banghead any electronic gear. -Start the machine, move the artic. boom all the way left and crowd the stick in. When the bucket gets close to the machine, it should stop abruptly and you should hear a chickens and geese alarm. If you don't, I would leave it, because a "genius" mechanic has been at it - unless you are a professional Komatsu mechanic with 25 years of electronic debugging experience. The articulating boom (despite all the nay-sayers who don't know what the heck they are speculating about) is VERY tough. You are not supposed to slew push heavy loads with these machines - keep that in mind.

  9. #9strott2009-11-11 14:55

    Are you sure all UU machines (especially older models and minis) have the alarm you mentioned? Dont want the OP looking for something on a machine that has never been there and therefore ruling it out!! As for slewing to push loads or side swipeing - as you are well aware that should not be done with any excavator let alone a articulated boom machine but you see it all too often :beatsme

  10. #10maddog2009-11-12 08:42

    I use my mini for stump removal, removed many. It does take time but in my opinion an excavator is way better then a BH.

  11. #11KSSS2009-11-12 21:19

    Generally I would to. I have pulled huge stumps out with my TK. However if I had only one machine and had the list of jobs to get done that he does, I would probably go with a backhoe. Takes a while to build a driveway with a mini ex. Need to move bulk material onsite? Thats a little problematic for a mini ex.

  12. #12SMF2009-11-12 22:21

    I do have the tractor for moving bulk stuff. As far as the driveway, I just need to remove the build up. My parking around the house and shop is too high and kind of sandy like stuff. I want to remove this stuff and put down fabric then fresh gravel. I have decided to wait until early spring to start looking for a mini again. I took my play money and payed off the Motorcycle. With tax returns and annual bonus in March I should be able to get up to a $15k machine. I won't have to settle for a well used Komatsu. Ok, now what would you get for $15k that weighs less than 9600lbs, looking for reliability, resale, joy stick controls? In other words, most bang for the buck. Thanks again for your help.

  13. #13SMF2009-11-12 22:48

    Shop rebuild and one of the stumps.

  14. #14thebig450es2009-11-12 22:49

    PC50 or a 305 for mini ex

  15. #15AFW2010-01-08 16:07

    Just throwing this out there... I have a PC28uu sitting in my garage in Ocean Shores, WA that I haven't used in a couple of years, but it is in great condition with only about 430 hrs on it. I believe it's a mid '90s model, but I don't know enough about them to figure that out. I got it from my neighbor years ago to do some work around my house and now it needs a new home. If you're interested, I would let it go relatively cheap. I am not very knowledgeable about machinery, but my project manager at work has told me that it's in great condition and probably worth about $10k given the low hours. He also said at some point it would need new bushings, but the tracks are still good and the hydra system is in excellent shape. I might go for $7500 (or we could negotiate) just to have it gone and the wife off my back! Shoot me a message if you're interested, no worries if you're not.

  16. #16special tool2010-01-08 17:48

    Any pics of this machine?

  17. #17jmanplumber20032011-02-04 00:18

    I would be interested in your machine. If it is still available or you have some pictures.