Does anyone know the OSHA criteria for operating cranes next to excavation, holes, ditches, trenches and slopes, specifically where can I find the document to download and print? Thanks in advance.
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but since I thought it was a good question, I did a little googling and found this: http://www.maximumreach.com/Quiz25Ans.htm Maybe somebody else knows exactly where to find the OSHA standard, but in the meantime, it's interesting as background info...
Hey digger242j that is what I have going by these days. I must admit feeling dumb not being able to find an OSHA document that covers this. I want to cover all the bases these days. I am getting older and do not want to make the five-o-clock news much less get caught being too close to the edge. I have found some good articles about soil types and how much psi they will hold. Good stuff.
Basically the soil type determines how close you can outrig, and also the size of your mat. Here's a good document that talks about mat size, made my brain hurt though. http://www.2dm.us/Effective Bearing Length of Crane Mats 2010.pdf
My foreman had a crane flip into excavation, usually if a cranes coming in will build a pad for them to hoist off of but I guess crane was there and he wanted to setup in one spot over another he was warned of uncompacted fill and the weight of lifting towards the hole sent it in the hole no one hurt but definitely throws a wrench in the schedules