Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

our 1969 case 580b hydraulics quit working while trenching. HELP

scatterfrats ยท 2017-07-10 15:53

We are not familiar with where to start with diagnosing. The previous owners let things run down quite a bit, but we felt the price was right for our needs so bought it traveling through two states to pick it up. Back to the problem at hand: We checked to see that the input shaft on the front mounted pump was turning: IT WAS. Hyd fluid was low so topped it off! Don't know where to start with checking out the pressure from the pump. With the engine running I pulled the plug on the top of the filter and fluid poured out, but was easily stopped with just a soft thumb pressure. I am NOT familiar with how much pressure there should be or how to check any hydraulic pressure anywhere in the system. Would love to hear from someone with a working knowledge of this machine Thanks in advance.

Replies32
  1. #1Tinkerer2017-07-10 18:53

    Have you checked the Hydraulic filter ? Better yet put a new one in it. Could be an internally collapsed suction hose to.

  2. #2Tinkerer2017-07-11 20:23

    When you remove the hydraulic filter be very careful and cut it open so you can flatten the folded pleats. The chances the are you will find a lot of silver crap in it. That would indicate a pump failure.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-07-13 15:50

    I replied to your PM. Basically I said ---> Did you figure out what the problem is yet ? I failed to mention that just because you can see the flex coupler turning on both sides of the rubber bushings does not mean that the splined shaft on the pump isn't stripped and the input shaft is not turning.

  4. #4Billrog2017-07-13 20:25

    Its common for those splines to go.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-07-13 22:14

    Yeah definately check the splines. Gear pumps typically don't just quit like that with internal reasons.

  6. #6Ronsii2017-07-13 22:22

    X3 on the splines, it may look like its turning and may actually be until under load. did it make a slight a slight grinding noise after it quit?

  7. #7Swampfoxo2017-07-17 17:16
  8. #8Swampfoxo2017-07-17 17:21

    The filter on the right side by the lift chyinder. The gauge as well should be in the green. Ard both hyd resouvoirs full left and right side should fill it till it comes out the ovefflow plug hole left side

  9. #9Welder Dave2017-07-18 01:45

    NEVER check for hydraulic leaks with the engine running or even stopped with your hands. The potential pressure can penetrate the skin and cause poisoning or worse.

  10. #10scatterfrats2017-07-18 13:48

    THANKS for your great info everybody! Sorry we have not replied to all your inputs before, but stumbling around with the forum buttons, we quite accidently found your messages about three minutes ago. Again, our deepest apologies! Computers are another thing that are not our specialty at all at 75 years. We are in the mountains and must travel a 90 mile circle to get to a McDonalds to get on Wi-Fi. We are on it out of sheer necessity! We haven't started taking it all apart yet as it's still mounted on the machine, HAPPY DAYS, and the parts have not been ordered as yet. Will try to post after we've had a chance to look it over closely through all of your glasses. NOTE: There was a "strange whirring sound" that started at the same time the hydraulics suddenly quit working which left the backhoe bucket with a load of rocks and dirt at the bottom of the trench. Up until it quit it had been a wonderful brutishly strong workhorse exceeding all of our wildest hopes! LOVE THIS THING and IT'S NEEDED BAD so have got to see it through whatever ailments it might come up with!

  11. #11Walker12017-07-23 15:11

    I am guessing either the splines on the shaft or the pump vanes. Other possibility would be relief valve. Where does the whirring sound come from?

  12. #12scatterfrats2017-07-23 16:51

    Hi, thanks! It was the pump spline and the coupler. Thanks again.

  13. #13scatterfrats2017-07-23 17:33

    TO EVERYBODY, I don't know if our novice computer messages ever reached all of you who responded to our backhoe HELP plight, but THANKS AGAIN for all the great input! We are waiting for the new pump and coupler to arrive later this week, so by God's Grace, we have high hopes of seeing this wonderful machine to return to the work of setting up a new mission base/farm here in the beautiful forested mountains of northern New Mexico! scatterfrats

  14. #14Steve Young2017-12-10 18:16

    Is there a procedure to find an internally collapsed hose? It is suspected that this is the problem I'm having.

  15. #15Delmer2017-12-10 20:36

    What issues are you having? that would be a logical place to start.

  16. #16Steve Young2017-12-11 05:48

    It's a 225 Cat excavator. We had catastrophic failure of the left pump ( controls swing and left track). Since the repair, the gasket in the rebuilt pump keeps blowing out. The dealer thinks it's being caused by a collapsing hose.

  17. #17Tinkerer2017-12-11 07:47

    [QUOTE="Steve Young, post: 723780, member: 65581" The dealer thinks it's being caused by a collapsing hose.[/QUOTE] Maybe, Steve. Maybe not. A pump usually starves for oil on the suction side of a pump when a hose collapses. It would be almost impossible for a hose to collapse on the output side of any pump. Have you checked the pump pressure yet ? Might be waaay too high. Does it make any noise before the gasket blows out ? Might be a warped pump housing from improper torque values on the body of it.

  18. #18mitch5042017-12-11 10:18

    also, a 225 should have pressure on the oil tank. maybe a clogged filter?

  19. #19mitch5042017-12-11 10:23

    did you do you do a thorough cleanout?

  20. #20mikebramel2017-12-11 10:44

    The case pressure is probably getting too high, is the pump vented to the inlet or externally?

  21. #21Steve Young2017-12-11 17:11

    it does have pressure on tank. Yes.

  22. #22Steve Young2017-12-11 17:16

    Maybe, Steve. Maybe not. A pump usually starves for oil on the suction side of a pump when a hose collapses. It would be almost impossible for a hose to collapse on the output side of any pump. Have you checked the pump pressure yet ? Might be waaay too high. Does it make any noise before the gasket blows out ? Might be a warped pump housing from improper torque values on the body of it.[/QUOTE I'm going to lower pump pressure, just to see what happens. I don't hear any noise from pump. There was no damage to pump when I replaced gasket. It's getting cold here now. I may put this off until the spring.

  23. #23T-town2017-12-11 17:46

    .... and when is it spring on the "Rock"?? June?

  24. #24greasenut2018-11-08 19:15

    Hi All, I see there hasn't be much talk here lately so I"ll hy-jack this thread. Got a weird problem with my 72 580b. I have no hydraulic pressure, new fluid and filter and suction hose on inlet. With the machine running I carefully loosened the coupling on the outlet pipe of the pump to see if it was somehow air locked. I kept loosening it but no air or fluid. I looked up and about a gallon of fluid had come out my fill up opening on top the reservoir. It will do the same thing when I operate the loader. I don't have the hoe attached right now and have the coupling hose for the hoe hooked to the return line. Scratching my head...anybody have some suggestions

  25. #25greasenut2018-11-08 19:30

    And another thing. One time after running the machine, after turning it off I slid up the inlet hose down to see if there was any oil and it made a sucking sound, this after it had just pumped oil out of my fill up hole. i had filled both sides of the holding tanks, took out the little plug close to where the inlet nipples are for the inlet t-pipe going down to the pump when I filled the reservoirs...I'm stumped. Does this sound like a bad pump. I would think it would have enough pressure to lift the loader arms...as the loader bucket is off as well. I just finished doing a motor job, overhauling the injector pump and was quite happy i got her running again but now am puzzled.

  26. #26Delmer2018-11-08 21:53

    your fluid is blocked from getting to the pump, right? Is your new suction hose a wired stiff suction hose so it doesn't collapse? If it is, then you have a rag or plastic bag stuck in the tank or fitting, that's my guess. The pump is sucking air, and filling the tank with foam, that's why it overflows.

  27. #27greasenut2018-11-08 23:24

    Yes the hose is wire wound. I can see where it makes sense that air might be pushing out the fluid.. but there is no foam that I can see. I take the input hose off and there is a sucking sound...its lasts and lasts...longer than just for the intake tube to the nipples. When the intake tube is hooked up and running and I bleed the output fitting from the pump then it starts to overflow??? I had to put the hoe out to get my other vehicles ready for winter but will have a chance to get it back in a week or two and will defiantly check for a blockage, I just need some ideas to chew on meanwhile..thanks, I hope it is something so simple. I bought the hoe 20 years ago and now feel I can't do without it. Again thanks for the input.. makes sense, but the circumstances are strange.

  28. #28greasenut2018-11-08 23:26

    Maybe a mouse got in there...

  29. #29Ronsii2018-11-08 23:31

    So greasenut.... what else changed since this 580 was working as it should? I see you mention new fluid, new fluid filter and a new suction hose... anything else? and also how long was the machine down for these repairs? was the hose off the machine for a while and maybe some rodent made a home in there? try to give as much detail as you can because sometimes it's the simple things that can cause issues also, hows about some pictures? we always like to see more iron and pics of the new hose... things like that.

  30. #30Ronsii2018-11-08 23:32

    I see you were reading my mind when I was typing...

  31. #31Tinkerer2018-11-09 09:12

    Have you considered reattaching the backhoe ? Perhaps part of your problem is how you connected or blocked the hoses when you removed it.

  32. #32alrman2018-11-09 17:37

    ...... or a piece of rag or plastic plug.....